Thundershirt Question

PuddleDuck

I have finally gotten around to ordering a thundershirt for doofus. Between him, the storm and the baby, I'm exhausted!

Just a quick question, hoping someone knows-will he be able to toilet in it? I am hoping if it is night I can put it on him and go to bed or will I need to get it off him so he can go outside to pee?

Thanks

Naaawwwwwww!! WA they are so cute! Thanks for posting the pic but I got distracted by their gorgeousness :D

Last night we had a storm. I was feeding bubs, doof tried to break the door down then tried to get on the bed with me. He was shaking so much the whole bed was shaking. Had to get hubby to take him out so I could get herself to sleep which took ages, then went and wrapped wide bandages around his chest firmly which calmed him down. Got him settled, reassured bear that he is a moron and she doesnt need to be scared of storms, went to brush my teeth and then the bloody alarm in the communal garage went off because it was flooding and the pump was being stupid, so everyone woke up and got into a state again....:cry:

Fixed pump, calmed everyone down, went straight on eBay to buy a thundershirt :laugh:

Just one of THOSE type nights!

With its patent-pending design, Thundershirt’s gentle, constant pressure has a dramatic calming effect for most dogs if they are anxious, fearful or over-excited. Based on surveys completed by over two thousand customers, over 80% of dogs show significant improvement in symptoms when using Thundershirt. Thundershirt is already helping tens of thousands of dogs around the world, and is recommended by thousands of veterinarians and dog trainers.

As for WHY Thundershirt’s gentle pressure works to calm a dog, experts such as Dr. Temple Grandin believe that pressure has a calming effect on the nervous system. Using pressure to relieve anxiety has been a common practice for years. For example:

TTouch dog trainers use pressure to address a wide variety of anxieties.

Veterinarians use pressure to relax cattle when they are administering vaccinations.

People with autism use pressure to relieve their persistent anxiety.

Children with certain behavioral problems use pressure shirts and weighted vests to relax and focus.

Parents use swaddling to calm an inconsolable newborn infant.

Taken from here.

I intially got one of these for car travel and now use during storms and am trialling it when at dog training to see if it helps keep my dog a bit more calmer around other dogs. My guy would wander around going back and forth to the door during storms and when I pop this on him he then comes and lays down and has a sleep :thumbsup: . I haven't had much luck with in car use yet or at obedience.

If the dog is hot then having a tshirt layer is going to add to it.

A stressed dog will usually pant as well.

You may also like to research another jacket product called the Storm Defender.

Neither the Storm Defender or the Thundershirt are miracle cures, they take time to work and on some dogs do nothing.

So just make sure your expectations are realistic.