Finding A Home For A Purebred Cocker Spaniel (free)

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

My mum has come to me and asked for help re-homing my nan's 11 year old cocker spaniel Chelsea.

Shes vac'd, desexed and unfortunately has to find a new home as my nan has to be put in aged care as she can no longer independently care for herself.

Chelsea needs a one dog only household and is used to being a 1:1 dog (isn't other dog friendly).

I have photos and she is a spritely 11 year old but will be put down if we cannot re-home her as my nan will not stand for her going to the pound and being dumped.

Any ideas?

Guest donatella

What state r u in?

She's in brisbane, qld.

Ill do some research on my nights at work Sunday night. I think mum is trying gumtree advertising as well

What state r u in?

She's in brisbane, qld.

Ill do some research on my nights at work Sunday night. I think mum is trying gumtree advertising as well

I will help you with rehoming, it may be difficult, but try and keep her off gumtree and petlink free to good home dogs are currently being targeted by some horrible people.

Edited by varicool

Guest donatella

Thats what I said to her sue, I've heard of the horrible stories of the free dogs on trading post/gumtree etc.

She'd be a good dog to go to a retired person again, which is hard. I don't see much a future for chelsea but will try what I can first.

It doesn't help that she's not dog friendly and hasn't been socialized, has been an indoor dog her entire life.

There's definitely hope for a good rehoming but I'd recommend what Varicool suggests.

I managed to rehome an 11 yr old female cocker a couple of years ago, she wasn't good with other dogs either. I had to knock back a lot of unsuitable enquiries. she'd been an outside dog all her life, never walked either and I was determined to find a home where she'd be inside with her family and have a good life for a dog.

It took a while but a mature couple applied, they had a beautiful garden and house, we went through housetraining (they had floorboards). They also had a holiday home down the coast, right on the beach but I told them they couldn't let her off lead. Although she wasn't overtly aggressive, if a dog came near her she'd have a go with no warning.

They loved her and didn't worry that she wasn't good with other dogs but they also paid a behaviouralist to see if they could improve on that - it didn't work so they accepted she wasn't a dog they could let off lead.

It was a great result. Has your nan's dog had a recent health check? It helps to know if they are in good health as well, teeth def. need to be all done, vaccs up to date etc.

Guest donatella

Thanks dogmad, I'll relay that message to mum, that's some hope.

She gets yearly vac'd so sees a vet at least yearly I'll have to find out when, mum will know as mum will have organised it and taken her.

She's a well looked after dog, always inside, the groomer comes monthly to clip her etc, would be sad to see her put down I think she would make someone else a great companion dog

Thanks dogmad, I'll relay that message to mum, that's some hope.

She gets yearly vac'd so sees a vet at least yearly I'll have to find out when, mum will know as mum will have organised it and taken her.

She's a well looked after dog, always inside, the groomer comes monthly to clip her etc, would be sad to see her put down I think she would make someone else a great companion dog

Sydney friends adopted an 11 yr Tibbie, too, from a similar situation. Dogs like this are rehomeable, with a good match.

If you have a flyer made up, with her pic and details and contact details, leave them with any vets you know, too. Our vet has remarked that she's often had mature age clients who've lost an elderly dog & who may be happy to adopt a mature aged dog.

Good to see there's Rescue contacts at the Cocker Club. Also good Varicool's on the case, too.

Guest donatella

She has never seen a cat so I doubt she is, she isn't dog friendly although that's what mum says, I can't even remember the last time she was with a dog so that could be a guess on her behalf. I finally have pics

43e0a170.jpg

a5208399.jpg

7954de11.jpg