Chocolate

I know chocolate is not good for dogs, but what about chocolate cake, choc custard, pudding ect? Would something like that be harmful to them or are we talking actual chocolate? I always forget to ask this when I go to the vets.

And while I'm here...what about onion, cooked in small quantities, like for instance in a bit of left overs?

All my dogs have had a bit of both from time to time, with no apparent ill effects but should I avoid it completely?

Yep, chocolate is bad because it contains theobromine. The darker the chocolate, the greater the quantity, so dark chocolate is worse than milk, which is worse than white chocolate. Anything with chocolate in it is therefore bad, but it varies in how bad. And how bad will also depend on the size of the dog, as with most poisons etc.

Chocolate cake may be less bad than a block of chocolate cause there's probably less actual chocolate in it. But.. still bad.

As for onions, I'm not sure about how toxic they can be, and whether cooking affects it. I personally wouldn't worry about a little bit in some leftovers, but would judge it on how much there is. Someone else may have a more logical way to determine it though!

I was at a dinner once and a lady across the table told us the night before her mum's dog had died from eating a big bowl of lasagne that had lots of onion in it. I had never heard of onion actually killing a dog but apparently it did in this case.

One thing some people don't know and that a vet told me was more common than both onion and choc for deaths is macadamia nuts. She actually recommended that people with these trees in their yards to either cut them down or fence them off so nuts that fall off can't be eaten by dogs.

I've always been told onion was bad even when I was little but funnily enough we would give our spag bol left overs to our gsd and he would be fine. I wouldn't even consider doing anything like that with the goldie we have now - too many issues already lol. As for chocolate the subject reminded me of my cousin, she had a little block of dark chocolate in the fridge and her 7 year old took it out, had a bite and didn't like it and just chucked it on the floor. The dog ate it - maltese and ended up at the 24 hour emergency vet, put in intensive care and unfortunately didn't make it.

I was at a dinner once and a lady across the table told us the night before her mum's dog had died from eating a big bowl of lasagne that had lots of onion in it. I had never heard of onion actually killing a dog but apparently it did in this case.

One thing some people don't know and that a vet told me was more common than both onion and choc for deaths is macadamia nuts. She actually recommended that people with these trees in their yards to either cut them down or fence them off so nuts that fall off can't be eaten by dogs.

Didnt know macadamia nuts are a problem, my OH dog when we first met used to eat them by the bucket load, cracking them open when they fell to the ground, ate the nut and spat out the shell, he lived to a ripe old 13 or so, he was a BCx. I guess all things affect each dog differently.

The reason they say these things are toxic to dogs as if affects some more than others. I know of one dog who ate lots of macadamias and appears to be its normally hyper self, right until it when in seizures and was rushed to the vet I work for with a temp of 41c. Much easier just to stay away from things that are highly potential reactions.

The problem with toxicity is that nobody really knows exactly HOW much is "bad" for each individual so it is best to just not risk ANY.

For example, anecdotal evidence of a large breed dog eating a few small squares of chocolate and being very ill, yet a greedy toy poodle eats an entire large block and it doesn't even touch the sides. But that's not to say that the toy poodle hadn't reached its toxic "level" and the next time it happened, may not be a good ending. Kind of like filling a bucket slowly....lots of small amounts of water are ok but one day, it spills over.

Chocolate contains theobromine which is dangerous. Rule of thumb is the darker the chocolate the more theobromine but as above, how much is too much?? Are you really willing to risk it?

Onion causes Heinz anaemia which is basically small bubbles in blood vessels and veins which can rupture and cause the dog to bleed to death. Again, is it really worth the risk to your dog to find out whether or not it is particularly intolerant?

Theobromine in chocolate has a 'caffeine' effect in dogs and makes their heart race.

Then the extreme blood pressure literally breaks their heart.

The problem is, if they get a taste for it, and then get into some that is left lying around, the results are fatal.

"Mum said chocolate is not good for dogs, but you can have my milk" :D

Onion causes Heinz anaemia which is basically small bubbles in blood vessels and veins which can rupture and cause the dog to bleed to death. Again, is it really worth the risk to your dog to find out whether or not it is particularly intolerant?

Nice fact ellz :thumbsup:

The problem is, if they get a taste for it, and then get into some that is left lying around, the results are fatal.

When I was little, one of my grandmothers dogs (a Bichon) would go hunting through bags in the the cupboard around chrismas and easter and open presents containing chocolate (wrappers/boxes and all) and then eat them all. Lots of puking ensued, but he never failed to go back and do it again. Not the fastest learner (nor was my grandmother, apparently) but luckily it never did anything but make him puke for hours.

However, I've known a dog who ate only a few bites of chocolate and it killed him, so it really is an individual thing. I'd never risk it.

If you really want to give your dog chocolate, use carob.

I went out to my chooks to give them some left over chocolate cake and briefly put it down on the ground when Bentley my 5 month old Boxer pup ate the whole lot in 2 seconds flat. (naughty boy!). I made that cake myself so I know the total chocolate in it is about 4 heaped tablespoons of coco. Seeing as just over half of it had been eaten by us that meant Bentley would have only consumed about 2 tablespoons of coco at the most. He's fine by the way but it just made me wonder...as you do.

Interesting isn't it how dogs can consume the most hideous things including poo, rotten meat ect and yet something like chocolate or onion can kill.

Moose has eaten macadamias twice and both times loss the use of his back legs. Very scary to come home too. :(

We don't have them in the house anymore and I'm particularly anal about people leaving bags on the floor because inevitably one of them will have food in it.

As others have said, it's just not worth the risk even if they have eaten a toxic food before and been fine. It only takes one bad reaction to kill your pet.

Here's a decent list of what to avoid: http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/storytemplate_process.cfm?story_no=257

Chocolate

Onion/garlic

Macadamia nuts

Avocado (all parts) - the toxic ingredient in avocado is called persin (toxic amount unknown). Mmost documented cases of poisoning have been in livestock that have eaten all parts of the avocado and in large amounts. The toxin may be confined to the leaves, bark, skin or seed but the flesh is thought to be poisonous to birds.

Pear pips, the kernels of plums, peaches and apricots, apple core pips (contain cyanogenic glycosides resulting in cyanide posioning)

Potato peelings and green looking potatoes

Rhubarb leaves

Mouldy/spoiled foods (keep garbage lid firmly on)

Alcohol

Yeast dough

Coffee grounds, beans & tea (caffeine)

Hops (used in home brewing)

Tomato leaves & stems (green parts)

Broccoli (in large amounts)

Raisins and grapes

Cigarettes, tobacco, cigars

Xylitol (sweetener often found in sugar-free gum)

Cooked bones - they can splinter and cause gut perforation, as well as blockages in the intestine, tooth fractures, and cooked chop bones can get stuck across the roof of the mouth

Corn cobs - a common cause of intestinal blockage requiring surgical removal

Edited by moosepup