Recurring Diarrhea

A bit of a long shot, but I'm wondering if it could be from the lake they swim in? The one near us is unsuitable to swim in (but fine for the birdlife). I know you said that your friends' dogs don't get sick afterwards but all dogs have different tolerances I guess? Mine has a sensitive stomach. That doesn't account for the episodes being every 6 weeks or so though. Does one dog always get diahorrea before the other?

Edited by trinabean

Does the lake have livestock like cattle also drinking from it? pooping near it? are they eating the poop? So many nasties are in other animals poop which dogs love to eat. I would also be looking at Hookworm...babies die from it, larger dogs it may upset their tummies etc. Also are they on raw beef? Where does your supplier get the beef from? I had a bad batch once that all my pugs had the runs so I stopped feeding them beef...I think more likely some of beef may have been drenched with something before killing?

Never feed my 2 beef and no livestock drink from it it's in the middle of a residential area

Is the area around it sewered or septic systems. Also, bird poo, especially water birds, which are carnivorous, contains as many nasties as dog poo. There is not a real lot of problem with cow poo, as it is only reconstituted grass, but meat eating birds can put lots of nasties into the water & maybe your dog is eating their poo. Do you have any bats (flying foxes) in the area???? They can be a real problem for dog health. :(

One of my tibbies have a sensitive stomach as well as skin allergies. I don't know whether it's a coincidence or not but once his skin condition improved, the upset stomach did too. Raw (BARF patties) didn't agree with him. I changed his diet to Nutro lamb and rice (as it had no other cereal)mixed with sweet potato and probiotic supplement (Paws organic) and within a few weeks, both his stomach and skin problems improved significantly. I have to be extra careful that he doesn't eat anything that may be contaminated/off like bones/pigs ears that have been buried and dug up when it's manky. I am a big believer in sweet potato and the probiotics. I think the change in diet made a difference as he was often at the vets for stomach issues. He hasn't had to have flagyl since the new diet which he has been on for about a year.

I'm well aware of how food allergies present as I have another dog with severe food and allergies and atopic dermatitis but my feeling is that it's not food related. I think it's more when he eats stuff he is not supposed to like pegs, hosepipes etc, we do try our best but he is sneaky...

I'm well aware of how food allergies present as I have another dog with severe food and allergies and atopic dermatitis but my feeling is that it's not food related. I think it's more when he eats stuff he is not supposed to like pegs, hosepipes etc, we do try our best but he is sneaky...

:rofl: Gotta love those Labs :rofl:

Edited by sheena

:rofl: Gotta love those Labs :rofl:

My older boy tho is so different though he doesn't have the urge to eat random objects :)