Would You Get Contacted?

LizT

Would I be contacted? Hit or miss. If they got killed on the road, there's a fair chance, but no guarantee, that the Rangers would get called and their paperwork would work from their ID tags. The microchips wouldn't work cause you need to pay an annual fee to stay on the microchip registry here (what a rip off!!!!!) and I haven't paid. If they were shot, eg, for running deer, chances are slim.

Good fences make safe dogs . . . as well as good neighbours. I make damn sure my dogs stay home and don't run free.

i had a friend who worked a large council in sydney and they were supposed to scan but who wants to scan a dead maggot infested dog?

often worker would not scan.... if one was found flat... thats what they wrote on the form... on a main road with a large traffic flow the flat ones would have a damadged chip and it would not read.

Yes, given that the chip is under the skin it really would depend on the condition of the animal.

I saw a Border Collie that was hit by a train once and suffice to say the poor creature looked like "Cruella De Ville" had been at him.

If a dog is injured rather than killed the local SPCA picks them up and yes they are scanned even if they die in their care but council will only make an effort to contact owners if they are wearing a collar with tags on it.

I just updated Grumpy's details on CAR as I've changed a couple of phone numbers. Went to do Mini's as she's on the NSW register and what an absolute mess! Bad enough that there's nowhere online it can be changed, the stupid website is so stupid that there's no indication of a change of details form either. Change of owner form, yes, no change of details form. Stupid NSW is stupid.

I know for VIC the council workers who pick up bodies off the road are supposed to check for chips.

In my experience they did, and we would also check again once the body was at the pound, but I can imagine it is not a foolproof system and at times the chip may not be scannable depending on the damage to the body.

Wow I am so glad that when Cody was hit somebody took him to the vet to be scanned and I was then contacted. He had my number on his collar too so that person also called and left a message. Never even occurred to me that if they hadn't done that I would never have been able to have him cremated (or taken him to bury if I chose). How sad for those left wondering :(

I just updated Grumpy's details on CAR as I've changed a couple of phone numbers. Went to do Mini's as she's on the NSW register and what an absolute mess! Bad enough that there's nowhere online it can be changed, the stupid website is so stupid that there's no indication of a change of details form either. Change of owner form, yes, no change of details form. Stupid NSW is stupid.

Yep, Tess is on the NSW register, I tried to change it once and it was such a PITA, at the moment the address and phone number is my parents, so I'm not too worried, they can at least contact me if it is needed