Experiences With Evo And Canidae Pure Elements

Guest lavendergirl

I have been feeding Canidae All Seasons to my dog but he seems to have the itchies so I might try their Chicken and Rice as there is only the one protein source in that one. I have tried the grain free kibbles but find he has problems with his anal glands on those. I don't know about Evo - is that the one only available through PP pet stores?

I've just started Orbit on the Canidae Pure Land. He's been on a raw diet for almost 4 years now and any dry food he's got to during that time has given him a very angry tummy. He's allergic to fish and chicken and this is the first dry food I've ever found that doesn't have either of those, as well as being grain free. Our raw foods are becoming limited with his allergies/sensitivities and I thought this might be a good addition to help with his nutritional requirements etc.

So far so good! No upset stomach at all and whilst his poo's are bigger than when he was on raw only, they're still firm. I'm really happy and will continue to use it as a supplementary food to his raw.

I used to feed EVO a few years ago and I thought it was great and so did my dogs. I stopped using it as I didn't want to give my business to PP. However, Natura (company who makes EVO) has been taken over by a new owner (or something like that) and PP no longer have the monopoly on selling it. If it was available up here I'd buy it again and give it a go on my current dogs.

I can get both through some online retailers, not just PP :) So that is a great thing.

I just want to try something different, but obviously want to keep him as happy as healthy as possible and I want to help encourage his gorgeous coat.

His current diet is way too high in grains and I actually have started to wonder if it is having an effect on his behaviour. I believe the Canidae Pure range is slightly cheaper, and I like that there are different types to try - has anyone had trouble switching between them with diarrhoea or gastro upsets?

I can get both through some online retailers, not just PP :) So that is a great thing.

I just want to try something different, but obviously want to keep him as happy as healthy as possible and I want to help encourage his gorgeous coat.

His current diet is way too high in grains and I actually have started to wonder if it is having an effect on his behaviour. I believe the Canidae Pure range is slightly cheaper, and I like that there are different types to try - has anyone had trouble switching between them with diarrhoea or gastro upsets?

Have you thought of giving them a tablespoon of pure virgin coconut oil daily with their food?? It does wonders for their coats & you notice a difference very quickly :thumbsup:

Guest donatella

Have you thought of giving them a tablespoon of pure virgin coconut oil daily with their food?? It does wonders for their coats & you notice a difference very quickly :thumbsup:

I'd be interested to try this having a long coated dog, I'm always on the hunt for extra shine, thickness and volume for my girl, where can I get this coconut oil?

I'd be interested to try this having a long coated dog, I'm always on the hunt for extra shine, thickness and volume for my girl, where can I get this coconut oil?

You get it from the health food shops. I pay about $20 for a large jar, but make sure it is pure virgin coconut oil. The one tablespoon is the rate for a BC. My two swim daily in the family saltwater/chlorinated pool & will sometimes spend up to 1 & 1/2 hours laying in the sun & swimming when they please (good life) & I don't bother rinsing them off afterwards, so their coats were getting a little dull (lucky they didn't turn green). Someone put me onto this & I noticed a difference in about 7 to 10 days. Lately I have been alternating with a raw egg yolk & sometimes they get both. :)

Guest donatella

Okay thanks I'll look into it, must be a teeny amount for a pom then.

She has a lovely coat now but I'm always keen for products to keep it like that :)

Guest lavendergirl

For those considering coconut oil etc just remember to factor in the extra amount of fat into the daily fat intake.

For those considering coconut oil etc just remember to factor in the extra amount of fat into the daily fat intake.

Definately factor in the amount of fat, if your dogs are inactive, but PVCO has 20% less calories than other fats. Some dogs even lose weight on it...my dogs have remained the same. It has heaps of health benefits besides giving them a lovely coat. :) Good for us too & makes lovely scones & lumberjack cake to die for :thumbsup:

I use Evo, my dogs love it and they are so healthy we have tried heaps of foods but this is the only one that maintains their condition. When you have 4 BC's keeping them looking their best and as active as possible is hard without the best nutrition. Evo is expensive but I feed less and I also tend to use the Evo small bites as training treats and it works so well. Good Luck with Grain Free!! :)