Is This Reasonable?

Poison

I went to the pet store on Saturday with my dog and as we were walking through the toy aisle, he picks up a soft toy off the ground just as the sales assistant walks past.

She then tells me that i am obliged to purchase it as it is in his mouth.

At $30 - this is insane, but i do so nonetheless.

I am curious though, is this reasonable/the norm?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't pay- if it were undamaged clean and still able to be sold.

A dog toy with saliva on it?

Yep, I'd expect you to pay for it. It's now "used".

I don't allow strange dogs to mouth my dog's toys so I'd be less than impressed if I was sold one with saliva on it, especially if I had a partially vaccinated puppy.

I'm not a fan of dogs in pet shops.

If they allow pets in the store I would expect that you would not be required to purchase everything your dog comes into contact with. Our local store allows pets, and allows you (or the staff) to try on harnesses, etc. I could understand if it became damaged because of being chewed but simply being picked up by the dog, I would refuse to pay. Why was it on the ground in the first place? Probably dropped by some other dog.

Edit to add: As far as the saliva issue, how is it any different to a dog drinking out of a "communal" water bowl at a cafe/vet or even a puddle off the ground? I'm sure they lick much worst things...

Edited by SupaDupa Mini Cooper

Edit to add: As far as the saliva issue, how is it any different to a dog drinking out of a "communal" water bowl at a cafe/vet or even a puddle off the ground? I'm sure they lick much worst things...

Possibly because the toy might be bought and taken home to a puppy that's still largely house-bound because it's not fully vaccinated?

If they allow pets in the store I would expect that you would not be required to purchase everything your dog comes into contact with. Our local store allows pets, and allows you (or the staff) to try on harnesses, etc. I could understand if it became damaged because of being chewed but simply being picked up by the dog, I would refuse to pay. Why was it on the ground in the first place? Probably dropped by some other dog.

Quite simply, because those bowls are known to be communal and pet owners can choose whether or not to allow their dogs to drink from them (and I don't).

If I'm buying a new product from a pet store, then I expect it to be new, not mouthed.

If folk want to take their dogs into pet stores then this is one possible price to be paid for the privilege... you allow your dog to use it, it's yours.

At least now you know your dog has expensive taste. :laugh: Lesson learned.

I have to watch like a hawk if the pet supply places have open tubs of smoked dog bones (the toys are up on hooks). And would fully expect to buy anything that ended up in my dog's mouth.

My intitial gut response was that it's a bit unreasonable, and I think that's why - if the store allows pets inside it, I wouldn't expect that you'd be made to pay for everything the dog touches.

In fact, I would probably assume that the toys etc in easy reach of dogs and hands have been handled by people and at least brushed up against by dogs. :shrug:

The OP said the toy was on the ground when her pup picked it up, it could be possible another dog already had it then left there. The pet shop near us let dogs come in and try out the harnesses and halters ect. I always take my dogs in with me and they have a great time.

If i owned the shop i would make sure all the plush toys were up from group level where the dogs can reach them but higher up on the shelves. If the owner then let the dog spag all over a toy that they handed to them then yes, i would expect them to pay. But when said toy was already on the ground when the OP's dog picked it up, i probably wouldn't. Toy's shouldn't be left lying where they can easily pick them up.

so did you buy it or did you tell her to take a hike. It was already on the floor, who knows how it got there or what germs it had picked up already. Perhaps she was kidding, I could imagine saying something like that as a joke.

I think if that's their policy they should have signs up saying so, I also think they shouldn't leave the toys laying on the floor!

Edited by Kirislin

Guest donatella

Sorry to laugh but I'm getting the cutest image of your dog strolling along, picking up a toy, not a care in the world wondering why you didnt take them there more often hahaha

I wouldn't expect to pay for it. The toys are not in plastic wrapping, I expect they've been handled by people and even dogs. If you're worried about bringing a toy home to your puppy, I would wash it first.

If pets are allowed in store, I would assume its just common sense that the toys, especially those on the bottom aisle have been touched by other dogs.

That being said, if my dog was a real drooler and saturated the toy, or damaged it in some way. Then I would expect to pay for it.

Dog picks up a dog toy off the foor of a pet shop. No, I wouldn't expet to pay for it unless it was damaged by the dog. If they pulled it off the shelving, I probably still wouldn't expect to pay for it unless damaged, but I'd be more inclined to accept the shop person telling me I had to. I'd certainly never return to the store with or without the dog though. I love that I can take my dog into pet stores and I even let them sniff various things :eek: If I'm buying them a toy I'll let them 'choose' it within reason :) I accept that items I buy from a pet store may have had previous inspections by other animals, I'm prepared to wear that (IMO very small) risk. They also drink from communal water bowls at the dog club :eek:

I did pay for it.

I agree with others,i would not want to buy a toy another dog had in its mouth.. however he had only just picked it up. It had been in his mouth for less then 20 secs so was def not chewed up or anything.

If i had given him the toy, or he had picked it up off the shelf, i dont think it was unreasonable that i pay for it.. but something that was on the ground??

I actually walk him away from the shelves for this reason.

There were about 3 other dogs in the store the same time we were.

The soft toy was a rabbit so its become his Easter present!

I initially thought she was joking, but no she was dead serious.

But i am curious - has anyone come across this same situation? Is this the norm?

I couldnt find anywhere that it was "store policy" despite being told this by the staff member.

Poison, no I have never been in your position of having my dog pick up a toy and then being told I'd have to buy it. I have seen dogs inspecting toys with their owners both in pet stores and at dog show vendors that have not been bought. It has never alarmed me although they haven't been slobbering, chewing, tugging etc. which might worry me.

Unfortauntely my dogs have had far worse things in their mouths than a toy that another unknown dog has momentarily picked up, but I won't go into details :o ;) There are risks with everything we do with our dogs, letting them have another dogs toy is not high on my radar.

Edited by FHRP