Received This Email Today

Very well worded Yellowgirl. How we respond on Petrescue is important. One can never afford to be anything but pleasant in an email as i have known of memberships that have been suspended without any warning. I too have had a few emails from people wanting discounts.Now getting emails from people wanting to know if its pickup or delivery to them. Thats without speaking to me or meeting the dog first. :eek:

My first rescue dog from ARF 9 years ago cost me the same as any of their others although they warned me they did not know her age and she could be older than she looked. I paid up because I knew she was the dog I wanted and she gave me one of the best years of my life - she was just perfect and although she cost me a lot in vet bills it was nothing compared with the love she gave me. I will only be taking older rescues in future.

Now I rescue for Koolie Rescue and we rehome for free to good homes. Often we have to put our own hands in our pockets to pay for desexing, worming, vetwork, etc. but the people who take our "free" dogs far more often than not make ongoing donations to keep the rescue service going and help us in other ways.

I think your response to him was very reasoned - people have no idea of the costs involved, I certainly did not until I got involved. There is a need for a big education campaign.

I'm glad you found love with a rescue dog Perry's Mum :) I'm not familiar with Koolie rescue, do they rehome their dogs for no charge?

You're right that we need a big education campaign. Glad to hear that you're helping to make a difference to rescue dogs :)

I think every rescue has had the emails or phone calls querying their pricing... some people can assume that they should be getting a rescue for little or no money because they are "second hand" or "broken" in some way... which WE all know couldn't be further from the truth.

A 10 year old Malt cross is NOT an old dog by a long shot... especially if she is healthy in every other way. She's only middle aged really... *grin*

Also, an older dog is usually better toilet trained, won't chew everything, doesn't have the higher energy levels requiring more work/attention, etc... a complete bargain at $300 methinks!

T.

'Middle aged' ... I like that wording tdierikx! :) Yep, our Angel covers all the things you mentioned, it's also likely that she's less than 10, that was the pound's estimation based on her condition at the time she was there. She does seem younger now that she's experienced love, is in good health and in a safe environment.

Very well worded Yellowgirl. How we respond on Petrescue is important. One can never afford to be anything but pleasant in an email as i have known of memberships that have been suspended without any warning. I too have had a few emails from people wanting discounts.Now getting emails from people wanting to know if its pickup or delivery to them. Thats without speaking to me or meeting the dog first. :eek:

Thanks cryptic, I agree, it's important to treat questions and enquiries with respect. People aren't going to know the facts if we don't interact with them, but if we respond in a negative way, we've pretty much lost that person... and we all know how much people love to 'share' and 'facebook' everything these days.

You handled it well Yellowgirl. :thumbsup:

The right home will come along for her. :)

And as others have mentioned, it's not just the vet work we pay for, but also food, worming, heartworm & flea prevention, etc and depending how long the dog is in care, it can easily go into the hundreds.

I always tell people they are actually getting the dog for free, it is all the costs in the adoption fee that they are paying for.

Maree

CPR

That's a really good way of putting it keetamouse ... and true :)

You handled it well Yellowgirl. :thumbsup:

The right home will come along for her. :)

And as others have mentioned, it's not just the vet work we pay for, but also food, worming, heartworm & flea prevention, etc and depending how long the dog is in care, it can easily go into the hundreds.

Thanks K9angel :) And guess what? We've just had a brilliant meet and greet with a potential adopter, and it's love on both sides! :thumbsup:

Did you get a response back from the guy, or do you think he was just trolling?

+1. I am eagerly awaiting his response (cheque!)

Haven't heard back yet guys.

sick of getting those type of emails, I wouldnt have even bothered responding to him, if he is bitching about $300 then he must have much money or want her bad enough!!! you send a great email back to him, looking forward to see if he responds!!