Received This Email Today

I've just received this email from a gentleman via the PetRescue site, in regards to Angel. Her profile is here http://www.petrescue.com.au/view/150576

" Name: ******

Phone: ********

Email: *******.com

Message: Gee, I'm so keen to adopt Angel, but $300 for a ten year old dog?? This website is more like a business than a charity!"

My reply:

" Hi ****,

Angel comes desexed, vaccinated, microchipped, wormed, heartwormed, flea treated and fully vet checked. Angel has also had a dental, and like many of the neglected dogs that come to us, she needed to have rotting, infected teeth removed. Dentals and extractions are a costly procedure but essential for the health of the dog. Angel also had two tumours removed. Everything that this precious girl needed has been taken care of by us prior to her adoption.

Yes, she is 10 years old but she has a lot of life and love to give and ALL her vetwork is done. Most rescues charge at least $400 for their dogs although this rarely covers the amount of money a rescue has spent on a dog prior to adoption. We reduce our fee as our dogs are older, but they have had the same vet work done as the younger and more expensive dogs from other rescues.

Perhaps you'd like to ring a local vet and ask how much the above list of procedures would cost? I can't speak for other rescue groups, but at Little Legs we never cover our losses, but we keep going because the dogs are worth it.

I hope that's answered any questions you may have in regards to rescue dogs. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or enquiries.

Kind regards,

Jo

Little Legs Dog Rescue."

I really think there needs to be more education about rescue dogs and the costs involved. I assume by 'the website' he's referring to PetRescue. I wanted to reply succinctly and without being defensive to the man who emailed, to explain the adoption prices and the work that goes into ethical rescue prior to adoption. I hope I explained it well enough so he might rethink his opinion.

Just a little vent really ... ;)

I don't understand the logic of why an an older dog should be "cheaper" than a younger dog. You pay more for aged wine, and more for aged beef - why should you pay less for an aged dog?

Anyway. You were much more diplomatic in your response than I would have been :D

I haven't got any of these "you're too expensive" emails from PetRescue, but I do know that they make their rounds.

I think replying in an educational way is the best option. I (as most rescues, I'm sure, do) keep pretty good records of my expenses and can explain the costs involved. I would've replied in a very similar way to you. Kudos for keeping your cool. :thumbsup:

Guest donatella

If he's whinging at $300 for the dog then I would worry about how much $$ he will actually invest on the dog over its life time and if it needs vet treatment. Excellent response and I'd be putting him on the blacklist.

Eta: a lot of smaller breeds can live into their late teens, she could well have another good 6-8 years in her if she's a healthy 10 now. Age shouldn't mean price at all if that's what he was insinuating

Edited by donatella

I think that was a very level-headed and informative response :) Kudos!

Agree! When someone is aware of what goes into ethical rescue, then the cost makes sense. YG, your response provides that information. I wonder if there's a way of weaving such facts into the Pet Rescue profile.....without making it too long?

In my narrow experience, the purchase price of a dog is the cheapest cost....

If he did the math, surely he'd realise that $300 doesn't even come close to covering all of the expenses you have with a puppy - with 3 lots of vaccinations, chipping, desexing and training. Not remotely close.

I think when people see charity they assume that we are getting government support etc......if only..... also they often dont understand the concept of pet rescue as a site and think its one big group rather than a number of smaller groups listed collecting all the adoption fees.

When we get these types of emails we explain what the adoption fee covers including that we use regular local vets. We then suggest that if they are on a budget they may be able to find a rescue dog with the RSPCA a "large" charitable organisation which has its own vets and can reduce their adoption fees accordingly.

It helps people to understand we are a small group working from our private funds. I have found along the way the couple of times it has happended some people stay miffed but every so often some actually thank us for explaining it to them.

Edited by cami

Thanks Weasels, it's really the only way to change people's minds I think.

I don't understand the logic of why an an older dog should be "cheaper" than a younger dog. You pay more for aged wine, and more for aged beef - why should you pay less for an aged dog?

Anyway. You were much more diplomatic in your response than I would have been :D

I guess the theory is that senior dogs may not have as many years left as a puppy or young dog and some may think it's unfair to pay the same price for something that won't last as long.

But from our end, they still need all the same work as any dog in rescue and still have so much love to give ... they're worth every cent :)

I haven't got any of these "you're too expensive" emails from PetRescue, but I do know that they make their rounds.

I think replying in an educational way is the best option. I (as most rescues, I'm sure, do) keep pretty good records of my expenses and can explain the costs involved. I would've replied in a very similar way to you. Kudos for keeping your cool. :thumbsup:

Thanks Leema, if I'd jumped down this guys throat I wouldn't have any hope of getting the message across. If it means keeping calm enough to reach one person at a time to educate them about rescue I can only hope it may have made a difference to his perception.

Even people are dearer to run when they are older! Cataracts, hip replacements, heart bypasses....

True Puppy Sniffer ... I'd rather take care of a senior dog than a senior person though, much easier ..lol

If he's whinging at $300 for the dog then I would worry about how much $$ he will actually invest on the dog over its life time and if it needs vet treatment. Excellent response and I'd be putting him on the blacklist.

Eta: a lot of smaller breeds can live into their late teens, she could well have another good 6-8 years in her if she's a healthy 10 now. Age shouldn't mean price at all if that's what he was insinuating

I think a lot of people may look at the initial adoption fee as maybe being a bit steep for 'what they're getting'. Once explained I hope that potential adopters will see the reasons for the fee.

And yes, you're right that the little dogs can have quite a good lifespan. It's certainly our hope that they'll give their new owners several years of unconditional love :)

Good on you .That was a good response.Some people just have no idea.There is also the cost of feeding the dogs too of coarse.

You're right Purdie, that all adds up too of course. And these littlies often need coats or jumpers when the weather gets cold too.

Agree! When someone is aware of what goes into ethical rescue, then the cost makes sense. YG, your response provides that information. I wonder if there's a way of weaving such facts into the Pet Rescue profile.....without making it too long?

Thanks Mita. I guess the gentleman who read Angel's profile missed all the information I listed about her vet work and surgeries. He seems to be one of those people who think rescue and/or senior dogs have no value, and appears to be quite insulted that he should have to pay actual money for the dog because I imagine that in his mind he would be doing me the favour by taking her off my hands :( . I wonder if weaving too much more information into her profile about the cost would just look like I'm trying to justify it? I might put that info on our website though as it would be a good way to explain the process of rescue and adoption... thanks for the idea :)

In my narrow experience, the purchase price of a dog is the cheapest cost....

If he did the math, surely he'd realise that $300 doesn't even come close to covering all of the expenses you have with a puppy - with 3 lots of vaccinations, chipping, desexing and training. Not remotely close.

I do hope he rings a vet and actually sees for himself how much all these things cost WeimMe.

I think when people see charity they assume that we are getting government support etc......if only..... also they often dont understand the concept of pet rescue as a site and think its one big group rather than a number of smaller groups listed collecting all the adoption fees.

When we get these types of emails we explain what the adoption fee covers including that we use regular local vets. We then suggest that if they are on a budget they may be able to find a rescue dog with the RSPCA a "large" charitable organisation which has its own vets and can reduce their adoption fees accordingly.

It helps people to understand we are a small group working from our private funds. I have found along the way the couple of times it has happended some people stay miffed but every so often some actually thank us for explaining it to them.

That's a good way to respond Cami. I also agree that when someone takes the time to explain (in a respectful way) how things work in rescue, people take that on board much better than being ignored or made to feel ignorant ... and lets face it, we're all ignorant until someone explains something to us, it just depends on how that message is relayed as to how much that information will be taken on board.

If he's whinging at $300 for the dog then I would worry about how much $ he will actually invest on the dog over its life time and if it needs vet treatment. Excellent response and I'd be putting him on the blacklist.

My sentiments exactly, he would be scratched off the list so fast. Like you say if he is bitching about the price for her then imagine how he is going to be about forking out for any future veterinary treatment that may arise, as does with older dogs.

Some people.........

Although not a diplomatic post by the man it is I'm sure a response by many people when they don't knwo what rescue is about. It would have been my thoughts a few years ago and especially before I started reading DOL and realised what rescue people actually do. I don't think it is unreasonable for someone to question paying such a high price (and it is high is you are used to getting puppies from friends or at markets for free or $10 - as it still is sometimes). I think many people think they are saving an unwanted and potentially PTS dog and shouldn't pay a lot of money. I never used to think about the money that went from peoples pockets to rescue dogs and rehabiliate them. I think we need more rescue stories in the media etc that include the outlayed costs by the rescurers personally and that every dog that sell means another can be saved.

I do think the email back was well written as well. But don't think we should jump down his throat - just educate him and also work towards educating others into what rescue really is and what it personally costs to the foster parents.

PS I went to the RSPCA yesterday and picked up for the bargain price of $315 a beautiful blue cattle*border youngster who after 24 hours walks nicely on the lead, sits and drops on command and signal, acts like she was raised here. She was a stray as a puppy and has spent the last few months of her life behind bars but you would never know it. She is a wonderful little lass. I would have paid $500 for a dog this good but in actual fact she saved me money as more was spent on her than what I paid.

Guest lavendergirl

Actually RSPCA and AWL charge an average of $400 for most of their dogs - it is not a cheap option really as a lot of people think.

Yellowgirl - I wonder if this email is geniuine to begin with. There are people out there targeting people just to stir them up.

P.S. Love the dogs on your signature picture. ;)

I'm not too fussed if it's genuine Tweety, and if someone is stirring up trouble because they really believe that rescue dogs are a rip off, them I'm glad to have given them the facts about the situation. You never know, it might even get through to the source of the trouble makers.

Doggies in the sig pic are Henry and Angel ... I love it too! One of those beautiful moments when I happened to have a camera with me :D

If he's whinging at $300 for the dog then I would worry about how much $ he will actually invest on the dog over its life time and if it needs vet treatment. Excellent response and I'd be putting him on the blacklist.

My sentiments exactly, he would be scratched off the list so fast. Like you say if he is bitching about the price for her then imagine how he is going to be about forking out for any future veterinary treatment that may arise, as does with older dogs.

Some people.........

But then, maybe he's one of the many who don't understand how rescue works, and why a dog is 'worth something' to the rescuer. Maybe he thinks differently now .. we can only hope :)

Although not a diplomatic post by the man it is I'm sure a response by many people when they don't knwo what rescue is about. It would have been my thoughts a few years ago and especially before I started reading DOL and realised what rescue people actually do. I don't think it is unreasonable for someone to question paying such a high price (and it is high is you are used to getting puppies from friends or at markets for free or $10 - as it still is sometimes). I think many people think they are saving an unwanted and potentially PTS dog and shouldn't pay a lot of money. I never used to think about the money that went from peoples pockets to rescue dogs and rehabiliate them. I think we need more rescue stories in the media etc that include the outlayed costs by the rescurers personally and that every dog that sell means another can be saved.

I do think the email back was well written as well. But don't think we should jump down his throat - just educate him and also work towards educating others into what rescue really is and what it personally costs to the foster parents.

PS I went to the RSPCA yesterday and picked up for the bargain price of $315 a beautiful blue cattle*border youngster who after 24 hours walks nicely on the lead, sits and drops on command and signal, acts like she was raised here. She was a stray as a puppy and has spent the last few months of her life behind bars but you would never know it. She is a wonderful little lass. I would have paid $500 for a dog this good but in actual fact she saved me money as more was spent on her than what I paid.

That's what I was thinking Pepe001, rescue is new to a lot of people, especially those of us who grew up thinking that dogs came from friends or from the paper, and I think it's worth explaining the concept to people who aren't familiar with it. You know yourself that you only knew what you knew until you were educated otherwise, and that's the key, education. It would be great if the media could get on board a bit more.

Congratulations on your beautiful new girl! Wishing you lots of love and enjoyment together for many years to come! :thumbsup:

Actually RSPCA and AWL charge an average of $400 for most of their dogs - it is not a cheap option really as a lot of people think.

I wasn't sure how much they were charging these days lavendergirl. Same price as most rescues, again with all the work done.

My first rescue dog from ARF 9 years ago cost me the same as any of their others although they warned me they did not know her age and she could be older than she looked. I paid up because I knew she was the dog I wanted and she gave me one of the best years of my life - she was just perfect and although she cost me a lot in vet bills it was nothing compared with the love she gave me. I will only be taking older rescues in future.

Now I rescue for Koolie Rescue and we rehome for free to good homes. Often we have to put our own hands in our pockets to pay for desexing, worming, vetwork, etc. but the people who take our "free" dogs far more often than not make ongoing donations to keep the rescue service going and help us in other ways.

I think your response to him was very reasoned - people have no idea of the costs involved, I certainly did not until I got involved. There is a need for a big education campaign.

I think every rescue has had the emails or phone calls querying their pricing... some people can assume that they should be getting a rescue for little or no money because they are "second hand" or "broken" in some way... which WE all know couldn't be further from the truth.

A 10 year old Malt cross is NOT an old dog by a long shot... especially if she is healthy in every other way. She's only middle aged really... *grin*

Also, an older dog is usually better toilet trained, won't chew everything, doesn't have the higher energy levels requiring more work/attention, etc... a complete bargain at $300 methinks!

T.