Great Dane - Crate Training

ChantelleM

I guess that toilet training is of paramount importance for Danes :)

I adore Danes and was tempted to get one instead of our Weim when we were selecting a large breed, the only thing that deterred me was that they are relatively short lived. Gorgeous gorgeous dogs with such a lovely nature :)

Thanks for all the responses!

He knows that toilet is outside; if I leave the door opens he makes his way out there without assistance. I don't want to lock him outside, as Dane's are not outside dogs, so I'm okay with the occasional 'accident'. I'm just more nervous about him starting to poop inside; I want him to be able to hold that (he usually does).

I have quite a large backyard for him, but I don't trust my neighbours not to peek or open my gate, unfortunately.

I tried the puppy pads, and he just chews them up. I also tried the patch of fake grass, but alas - he won't pee on it.

I did a LOT of research before getting him, but I just never agreed with crating. But now I'm not sure. He is still very young, so still has plenty of time to learn. I'll check out that Great Dane thread :)

Thanks again! I'm open to more tips :thumbsup::)

You could use a puppy pen or two to create him a safe area for outside, big enough for him to sleep, play and toilet. Obviously you need to make sure it's got shelter. This is what we did with all our puppies. Seeing as it's autumn at the moment, the weather should be pretty good for him to spend the day out in it (depending on where you live ofcourse).

It's great that he knows outside is for toileting :thumbsup:

Personally any sort of toileting inside I would avoid at all costs. Urine leaves trace smells that encourage him to go there again. And it's just very confusing. I know of several people who opted for the use of puppy pads and allowing toileting inside and even as adults these dogs soil the house!

Thanks for all the responses!

He knows that toilet is outside; if I leave the door opens he makes his way out there without assistance. I don't want to lock him outside, as Dane's are not outside dogs, so I'm okay with the occasional 'accident'. I'm just more nervous about him starting to poop inside; I want him to be able to hold that (he usually does).

I have quite a large backyard for him, but I don't trust my neighbours not to peek or open my gate, unfortunately.

I tried the puppy pads, and he just chews them up. I also tried the patch of fake grass, but alas - he won't pee on it.

I did a LOT of research before getting him, but I just never agreed with crating. But now I'm not sure. He is still very young, so still has plenty of time to learn. I'll check out that Great Dane thread :)

Thanks again! I'm open to more tips :thumbsup::)

put a padlock on your gate and put the pup outside. Dogs need to be dogs to grow properly, both physically and mentally. It will not hurt your puppy to be outside while you are at work.

Hmmm I might have to leave him outside. It makes me nervous; I don't want him to feel 'expelled' from the house.

I might look at installing a doggy door; how long do these take to train in? I still want him to go outside, and I'm a little worried that he may just ignore it and toilet inside.

GAH!

he may just ignore it and toilet inside.
<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">

he is a baby- he will toilet inside...nothing surer..

just like when we were being potty trained - I'm pretty certain we all missed quite a bit to start with, and didn't 'hold it' and wait for someone to come get us !" :p

IF he has a bed or two.. some old clothing you have worn with your scent on ... some food , some rolling/noisy toys , and water ....and you introduce outside playtime ,starting NOW ...like his favourite toys are ONLY available outside now ..and you will only play /wrestle with him outside, and he gets treats when he's outside ......then outside will seem a good spot to be.

DO NOT make a fuss .. no 'I have to leave you now, don't worry, I;ll be back, I am worried ......'

everything should be a matter-of-fact- experience .... :)

Doogy doors are easy to train, you on one side and him on the other - call him, and click and treat!

Great clicker training exercise.

You can also have the hole cut, leave the flap off for the day so he gets the idea, then put the flap in.