Worming

NOCTRL

Up until this month i have been using Drontal All-Wormer for my 8mth old Stafford.

He was also on oral ivermectin in this time for mange (yuck!) thats all better now thankfully (not used at the same time as the Drontal, used instead of for a period of about 6-8 weeks).

I'm now due to buy some more worming supplies and i want to make sure i cover all the worms. Fleas and ticks aren't so much of a problem, so the product doesn't HAVE to cover those).

What is the best wormer that will cover all worms? I don't think Drontal does heartworm? Or am i wrong?

I guess i could google...but i'm sure plenty of you have this sussed :) Also, where's the cheapest place to buy worming products?

Should also add - he has been treated for Heartworm at 11 weeks, and the oral ivermectic covers this too i believe..

My question probably isn't clear.. Is there a wormer that covers worms + heartworms? Or if not, what is the best combination of two to use?

Edited by NOCTRL

im using the interceptor spectrum, which does heartworm and worms. however i have been told it is missing a vital worm...cant remember which one. i think the sentinel spectrum (the next one up from the interceptor) covers fleas, i'll have to check and see if it does this worm the other is missing. but its like double the price

as i have mine on advantix i wasnt to fussed on paying extra for the flea treatment.

im interested to see what others are using also. unless the interceptor is fine then i'll stay on that :shrug:

theres so many out there, it does my head in

also do not use a wormer that is made by fido's i cant remember the name of the wormer but puppies have died on it

I believe Interceptor Spectrum is one of the only ones out there that covers Intestinal/Heartworm together. Others that control both also control fleas. You have Sentinal, Advocate and possibly revolution? Can't recall if Revolution controls intestinal or not. If you go two seperate treatments you can cover your intestinals with Drontal, Milbemax or I use Endogard on my dog. You can then give a seperate Heartworm with Valueheart, Proheart or Heartguard Plus.

From memory the only products that don't treat all intestinal worms are some which control fleas. They they may not include tapeworm coverage.

As your dog already has issues with his immune system I would really suggest you think twice about using the all in one over kill products. Absolutely, if you are in a heartworm area give him heartworm preventative (personally I use Heartgard), but as for intestinal worming I would suggest you think about getting a fecal count done on a regular basis and treating him for worms only if and when they are present. How often is "regular" - to me that would depend on his environment - is he on a farm/in the bush, are their children to be considered?

Thanks for the info everyone, it seems as though Interceptor Spectrum is the way to go for worms / heatworm combined.

I've checked out VetStop thanks krystal&coco - very good prices :)

Sandra, i hadn't thought of doing a fecal count (i dont know why as that's what i do with my horses!). He is in the suburbs, no kids. I will definately keep it in mind, thank you :)