Increase In Water Intake

Lhok

A bit of back story

My dog is an 11 year old lab kelpie cross. Since Sunday I have noticed she is drinking a lot more then she usually would be. The weather hasn't been very hot either, she has gone from drinking half an ice cream bucket to the whole thing in a day. Her exercise hasn't changed and neither has her diet which is some advance senior bikkies in the morning and again some in the night with a bit of advanced canned mixed in. Not sure if I should be worried or not as the vet I phoned didn't think it was something to be overly concerned about.

Thought I would ask here to see if I need to get another opinion as the vet I phoned wasn't the usual one I see.

Thanks in advance

--Lhok

Lhok personally I would take a urine sample and at least just drop that off to the vet. A noticeable increase in water intake should be checked out. Could be something quite treatable but the sooner you know what is going on the better. Doesn't mean you need to worry though :) x There's a number of tests the vet can run in house on a urine sample too....pH, sugars, protein etc. so I have found the cost to be very reasonable. Just had a urinalysis done for one of my cats who is recovering from a UTI. For $26 it was really worth it to know the results were all clear. I was considering a diet change if pH was high, for example, but all is fine.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Lhok personally I would take a urine sample and at least just drop that off to the vet. A noticeable increase in water intake should be checked out. Could be something quite treatable but the sooner you know what is going on the better. Doesn't mean you need to worry though :) x There's a number of tests the vet can run in house on a urine sample too....pH, sugars, protein etc. so I have found the cost to be very reasonable. Just had a urinalysis done for one of my cats who is recovering from a UTI. For $26 it was really worth it to know the results were all clear. I was considering a diet change if pH was high, for example, but all is fine.

Ahh ok. Thanks will get it done thanks :)

--Lhok

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Just an update

Well tried to get a urine sample proved to be the most difficult thing in the world. I spent the best part of my sunday trying to get one but she wouldn't co operate (smart ass of a hubby said she was playing an april fools day joke on me). Took her into the vets today and still nothing :(. They are going to try and get one tomorrow, according to them she isn't as hydrated as she could be and I have to keep her with me as much as possible in case I can get a sample.

Fingers crossed I can get this sample and we can find out what is wrong :( I also noticed she is panting a fair bit too :(

--Lhok

So much easier with cats (if you have the right equipment) or male dogs like mine that love to lift their leg!

Good luck Lhok - I, too, hope it's something simple. And kudos to you for picking up on the water intake. 9/10ths of being a good owner is being observant I reckon :) x

Is she desexed? A dog with pyometra will have a dramatically increased water intake. I hope it isn't that, but the increased water intake was the first thing I noticed when my girl Brianna had pyometra in November. :(

I hope it is nothing serious!

Edited by WendyH

WendyH

Yup Mischief is desexed :) so at least it isn't Pyometra, lucky she is as I would never have thought of that otherwise.

:) Thanks for thinking of us everyone I will let you know how it goes after the vet visit today :)

--Lhok

A tip for collecting urine samples. Depending on the size of the dog, use a ladle or large serving/cooking spoon with the handle bent up. Easier to put under the dog than trying to get under with a jar or sample cup and a lot of dogs find it less 'invasive' than having you leaning down close with your hand under. The size compared to something bigger too means that most of the time they dont even know it is there. Just remember to have a jar ready with the lid off (learnt that one from experience :o ) to make transfer of the sample easy!

Edited by espinay2

I just had to collect urine samples from my girls last week. Best bet is to follow her out first thing after she wakes up and use a container with low edges. If you have an old frying pan then they work a treat :)

Back from the vet

Managed to get a sample today, it didn't show up anything too concerning so they have taken some blood to get that checked out and to rule out anything.

--Lhok

Another update

Bloods came back clear for liver and kidneys, they also said that she has a low neutrophil count. Not quite sure what that means and stupid me forgot to ask as I was relieved that it came back clear. Not quite sure why she is drinking lots of water though so I have to keep my eye on it and if anything else changes to let them know.

--Lhok