Ad I Saw... Isn't This Illegal?

For the record, when anyone calls, we tell them to take to the vet to check for microchip first. When there isn't a microchip, we refer them to rescues who might be able to take the dog or cat on board. We don't take the dogs or cats ourselves.

An owner may be looking for thier lost pet that dosen't have a microchip.They may think to check the pound but would they know of all these other rescues where thier unchiped and presumed unwanted pet could have ended up.

There's even a bigger fine for people having pets who aren't microchipped. Everywhere you go these days, when you buy an animal from somewhere, they're usually already microchipped. Even one well known "rescue" I know who breeds dogs even chips them before selling them.. when she eventually does sell them.

The laws have changed recently in regard to having pets microchiped.However there are still many people especially those who have older pets in particular that don't have thier pets microchipped. No microchip does not mean they do not love and care for thier pet or would not want them back if they were lost or stolen.

Not to mention that sometimes chips stop working! I have a bitch here, bred by me and I was present when she was microchipped at 7 weeks, and microchip was working at that point (tested after being chipped). Fast forward 4 1/2 years, and we needed to have her chip number confirmed by our vet for inclusion on her hip/elbow paperwork - no chip could be found anywhere, and we had to have her re-chipped. Her chip could have been out of order for years, for all we know....

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've had it up for less than a week, and don't worry, I'll let all future cats and dogs die at the hands of the pounds!! Happy??

Acting responsibly and abiding by the law does not make anyone happy about animals being impounded and that's a very immature attitude to take.

People need to work within the limits of the law.

Mazeltov Plan B! The law is ignored by many and then they plead ignorance

So you claim to have no idea that it was illegal but what if one of your dogs got out and someone changed the ownership details on the microchip and rehomed him or her...I could only imagineyou would be devestated, right? did you not stop to consider this or wonder if the owners were outfrantically searching for their beloved pet?

After I had read the gumtree ads you were rung late yesterday afternoon TS by a colleague of mine who pretended she had found a small white fluffy dog.

You stated you needed the microchip number of the animal and contact details of my colleague emailed/sms'd to you.

No advice re getting this 'stray' back to the rightful owner was given whatsoever.

Edited by lillypilly

OMG how long has this been going on for? :mad

I know if I lost one of mine the first place I would check would be the vet and the pound.

Does your friend not know that microchips can sometimes move & be missed when they're scanned? My little sibe girl lost hers altogether when she was done in the NT. I had to have her re-done. I am so glad I checked when she arrived though otherwise I wouldn't of known and if she had of got lost and ended in the wrong hands - I may never of seen her again.

Just because there is no microchip or one cannot be detected, doesn't mean the dog is yours to keep or rehome. :(

Sorry but that is just so wrong...

We've had it up for less than a week, and don't worry, I'll let all future cats and dogs die at the hands of the pounds!! Happy??

I would have a better chance finding my pet in the pound than in some random rescue

You can rescue from the pound when the animals have done their time - just putting them into the pound does not automatically mean a death sentence for the animal but they do have a much better chance of being reunited with their rightful owners!

But if the animal is taken to the pound, some other rescue may get in first... and pounds charge for release.... so much simpler to get the animal for free from some unsuspecting and well meaning member of the public...

T.

I know if I lost one of mine the first place I would check would be the vet and the pound.

Does your friend not know that microchips can sometimes move & be missed when they're scanned? My little sibe girl lost hers altogether when she was done in the NT. I had to have her re-done. I am so glad I checked when she arrived though otherwise I wouldn't of known and if she had of got lost and ended in the wrong hands - I may never of seen her again.

Just because there is no microchip or one cannot be detected, doesn't mean the dog is yours to keep or rehome. :(

I would rather my dog end up at a pound rather than with a rescue. How would a rescue describe the breed of the dark dog in my avatar? At least at a pound I have a chance to go and look physically for him if his microchip wasn't found.

One of my worse night mares is my dogs getting lost and I want the best chance to get them back.

ETA those ads are so wrong on so many levels.

Edited by Janba

Ummm TigerSpirit - your plea of ignorance is flawed... remember last year when you learned that rescues can't take in strays from the public? I have access to an email you sent to a friend back then advising exactly that...

on 27th Feb 2011 you sent to a friend... and I quote...

"Thought I'd warn you though. By law, we're (animal shelter) not allowed to take in strays.. thought I'd warn you now so as not to disappoint you later. As it's something I only just learned myself in the last week."

T.

Edited by tdierikx

So if somebody's dog got out one day, and it ended up being given to you instead of being handed in at the pound, how would the owner ever find it again? How would they know you had it? What were your plans for these dogs?

WHAT DOES A PERSON DO WITH A STRAY OR "SEIZED" ANIMAL?

A person who seizes a dog or cat under the Companion Animals Act must cause it to be delivered as soon as possible to its owner (if the owner can be identified) or to the council pound or other authorised council officer (eg ranger) (section 62). A person who does not comply with this is guilty of an offence and may be liable for a penalty of up to $2200. Strictly speaking, delivering an uninjured animal seized under the Companion Animals Act to a vet is an offence. However, it is acknowledged that in practice many people deliver animals to their local vet surgery because it is not practicable for them to deliver the animal to a pound (eg they can walk to the vet and may not have a car to transport the animal to the pound). In this circumstance, a vet may choose not to accept the animal (which is, strictly speaking, complying with the Companion Animals Act) and advise the person to call the council ranger or take it to the council pound. If the vet does choose to accept the animal, they do so in the same context as "any person" under the Act, and must return the animal to its owner or contact the council as soon as possible. Vets should not undertake to hold the animal and re-house it themselves - there is no legal basis for the vet to give the animal to a new owner and if the original owner should come forward at some future time a vet may find themselves subject to civil legal action.

Oh I found what TS was referring to, it was on the VPB site. But the fine is referring to NOT delivering a found animal to the owner, an 'authorised officer' or pound.

This ---> Strictly speaking, delivering an uninjured animal seized under the Companion Animals Act to a vet is an offence. must mean vets can refuse under the Act because they haven't applied for approval. Nothing actually stopping them but nothing to make sure the animal isn't sent home with the finder.

I'm sorry but that is awful. That's a MASSIVE flaw in legislation.

It's a common thing for many vets to take in a stray, scan it, and contact either the owner or the council rangers to come pick it up... all of the vets locally to me do that.

I live in an area surrounded by 3 pound coverages - say I found a dog 2 streets away to the north, in the Bankstown coverage area... I'd have to trek all the way out to Austral to deliver it to a pound that closes at 4:30-5pm. If I found the dog in my street, I'd have to take it to the vet that is the pound for my council area which is literally a 3 minute drive or 10 minute walk, and is open until 7pm. Alternately, if I found a dog 2 streets south of me, I'd have to take it to the pound in Carlton...

Guess which place I'd be taking any stray dog I found to?

TigerSpirit - what is stopping you from sourcing any of the many animals already in the pounds for your rescue efforts? Animals don't have to die in pounds if you are actively rescuing from them like most of the other rescues here do.

Obviously your thinking/reasoning is flawed if you think that our questioning your lack of ethics is going to mean more animals dying in pounds - maybe a rethink is in order here...

T.

OMG! im shocked at what im reading! lost/stray animals MUST go to the pound!! most vets will take in a stray but if the owner cannot be contacted or there is no chip the animal MUST go to the pound within 72 hours... Vets do not HAVE to take in strays, most do it as a kindness, at my clinic we take them in if we have the room, if the clinic cages are all full and we have no where to put them we either send them to another clinic (there is one 6 streets away) or advise the member of the public to take them to the pound themselves... I cannot believe that a rescue would not only take in strays but encourage the public via advertising to hand them over!!! tisk, tisk hope you get your arse kicked over it!!!!!

For the record, when anyone calls, we tell them to take to the vet to check for microchip first. When there isn't a microchip, we refer them to rescues who might be able to take the dog or cat on board. We don't take the dogs or cats ourselves.

Why don't you tell them to take the animal to the pound? People don't look for their missing pets in rescues.

@ TS The facebook page with your phone number on it states:

"We are a network of foster carers in Sydney willing to help if you've found some dumped kittens, or a stray friendly cat that you don't wish to take to the pound"

"WE ARE NOT A RESCUE! We are a network of foster carers in Sydney willing to help if you've found some dumped kittens, or a stray friendly cat that you don't wish to take to the pound. If a relative has died and you need to rehome their pet, we are here for you also. We will care for any cats/kittens in need until a rescue becomes available with financial backing to take them on, guaranteeing them to be well looked after until they can find safe secure homes.

If you need to call someone if you find a kitten/cat, you can call any of the following people:"

Names/numbers deliberately not included by me!

Edited for some clarity

Yes, and because I didn't know it was illegal, I've since removed the page!! Happy??

Hmmm it is still up on facebook! You will need to do a lot of editing.

Well it shouldn't be cause I've unpublished page.

Why don't you tell them to take the animal to the pound? People don't look for their missing pets in rescues.

Except that everyone I've ever spoken to has either put posters up or posted their lost pets on facebook, when I have suggested the pounds for them to check, they tell me they never thought of checking there.

So you claim to have no idea that it was illegal but what if one of your dogs got out and someone changed the ownership details on the microchip and rehomed him or her...I could only imagineyou would be devestated, right? did you not stop to consider this or wonder if the owners were outfrantically searching for their beloved pet?

I was devastated in the past, and accepted the loss and it happened over a decade before microchips.