Ad I Saw... Isn't This Illegal?

After I had read the gumtree ads you were rung late yesterday afternoon TS by a colleague of mine who pretended she had found a small white fluffy dog.

You stated you needed the microchip number of the animal and contact details of my colleague emailed/sms'd to you.

No advice re getting this 'stray' back to the rightful owner was given whatsoever.

I happened to have the number the vet gave me to contact re microchips. I had planned to give the number to that. It's a petsearch number. The rescues I spoke to had also planned to double check the microchip details had they got the dog.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, when anyone calls, we tell them to take to the vet to check for microchip first. When there isn't a microchip, we refer them to rescues who might be able to take the dog or cat on board. We don't take the dogs or cats ourselves.

Why don't you tell them to take the animal to the pound? People don't look for their missing pets in rescues.

Had I known that by the law I had to, I would have, but I DID NOT KNOW!!!

OMG! im shocked at what im reading! lost/stray animals MUST go to the pound!! most vets will take in a stray but if the owner cannot be contacted or there is no chip the animal MUST go to the pound within 72 hours... Vets do not HAVE to take in strays, most do it as a kindness, at my clinic we take them in if we have the room, if the clinic cages are all full and we have no where to put them we either send them to another clinic (there is one 6 streets away) or advise the member of the public to take them to the pound themselves... I cannot believe that a rescue would not only take in strays but encourage the public via advertising to hand them over!!! tisk, tisk hope you get your arse kicked over it!!!!!

My contact who works at a shelter didn't know either. She often asked me to help her when someone called about dumped cats! How in hell am I supposed to know when someone who works for one of the shelters didn't know! Have spoken to a couple of vets since, and they didn't know this either!!

Ummm TigerSpirit - your plea of ignorance is flawed... remember last year when you learned that rescues can't take in strays from the public? I have access to an email you sent to a friend back then advising exactly that...

on 27th Feb 2011 you sent to a friend... and I quote...

"Thought I'd warn you though. By law, we're (animal shelter) not allowed to take in strays.. thought I'd warn you now so as not to disappoint you later. As it's something I only just learned myself in the last week."

T.

A lot happens in one year. Including 3 deaths, 1 in family, 2 of very close friends. There's a lot of stuff I don't remember from the past. If I did have this discussion or email, I honestly don't remember it due to the amount of personal grievances that I've been through over a matter of months.

For the record, when anyone calls, we tell them to take to the vet to check for microchip first. When there isn't a microchip, we refer them to rescues who might be able to take the dog or cat on board. We don't take the dogs or cats ourselves.

Why don't you tell them to take the animal to the pound? People don't look for their missing pets in rescues.

Except that everyone I've ever spoken to has either put posters up or posted their lost pets on facebook, when I have suggested the pounds for them to check, they tell me they never thought of checking there.

So instead you tell people who find dogs to give them away to rescue even though you already knew that people should look in the pound.

I think Tiger Spirit gets the point now. :)

I hope so!!!

+1

It was an awful notice on GT Tigerspit and I feel for the poor owners who could have been searching for their dog in all the logical places, never thinking that it is at some obscuro rescue.

Glad you took it off.

Question to all...What mental distress do cats or dogs suffer from while in a pound???

Is this an attempt to justify breaking the law and not giving owners the chance to find their lost/stolen pets?

Question to all...What mental distress do cats or dogs suffer from while in a pound???

If your contention is that a dog or cat would be better given away to a rescue where the owner will NEVER be able to find it rather than spend any time in a pound where the owner has a chance to find their missing pet then your contention is idiotic.

I dont see the problem with this. It may be illegal BUT why does a litter of 2 day old DUMPED kittens deserve to be taken to a pound?? What owner is looking for a litter of kittens they have previously dumped?? You can seriously justify sentencing an innocent litter to death? I dont. I think in that instance it is well and truly justified. People in rescue seriously need to pull their head out of their a*** if they feel attacking people over the internet is acceptable over something someone else is doing to save lives!!

I say well done to TigerSpirit for trying to make a difference and helping these innocent babies out.

As for those who felt the need to try and frame TS, thats beyond sick do you not have anything better to do. You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

They probably do suffer terribly.

That's not under dispute. And that's why rescues focus on helping poundies. :)

Not wishing to continue an argument but:

Do the loved pets who get 'found' and never go home suffer mental distress? And their owners?

eta: I've already stated I think the stray kitten situation has been and will continue to be handled differently.

Edited by Powerlegs

chipped pets yes should have the chance to find their owners, i never said that wasnt what i believe at all. im saying that obviously dumped or stray mums with litters that are found deserve a better chance then a pound cage.

i found a factory cat that was heavily pregnant, she was feral there was absolutely no doubt she was 100% stray. i caught her and took her home where she had her kittens. are you saying that her litter didnt deserve that chance?

Ummm TigerSpirit - your plea of ignorance is flawed... remember last year when you learned that rescues can't take in strays from the public? I have access to an email you sent to a friend back then advising exactly that...

on 27th Feb 2011 you sent to a friend... and I quote...

"Thought I'd warn you though. By law, we're (animal shelter) not allowed to take in strays.. thought I'd warn you now so as not to disappoint you later. As it's something I only just learned myself in the last week."

T.

A lot happens in one year. Including 3 deaths, 1 in family, 2 of very close friends. There's a lot of stuff I don't remember from the past. If I did have this discussion or email, I honestly don't remember it due to the amount of personal grievances that I've been through over a matter of months.

I'm sorry - you seem to have a perfectly fine memory for a whole pile of other things that happened around the same time you sent that email... not to mention some of your responses here (before you decided to edit them) seem to indicate otherwise.

I suggest you research and familiarise yourself with the laws regarding Companion Animals BEFORE you start dispensing advice in future.

T.

chipped pets yes should have the chance to find their owners, i never said that wasnt what i believe at all. im saying that obviously dumped or stray mums with litters that are found deserve a better chance then a pound cage.

ALL pets deserve the chance to find their owners.

They also deserve to have Rescues bring them into care that do not participate in illegal activities.

i found a factory cat that was heavily pregnant, she was feral there was absolutely no doubt she was 100% stray. i caught her and took her home where she had her kittens. are you saying that her litter didnt deserve that chance?

I never said that at all. You're clutching at straws here.

If you desexed mum and all the kittens before rehoming them... then yes, maybe they did deserve a chance... if not, then you only made the problem worse by rehoming entire cats that could well continue the cycle...

T.