Do You Make Your Own Doggie Treats And Food

melstar-36

Ive always made my own dog food, it's about cheaper and I like to know what there eating, I'm searching for some new recipes to spice it up abit, or any other extras you put in. I make a doggie scrumptious liver cake for treats for my cavies but I also have a male Labrador, any ideas for a much more filling treat for my boy! At the moment I buy dental sticks for him but would live to make my own! Any advice is greatly apprieated

I bought a dehydrator cheap off ebay and I've been dehydrating chicken and liver for my dogs. They love it.

I used to do treats where I would mix eggs, tuna and flour, and then bake it until it was set, then cut up into little pieces. I can't remember the exact recipe, but it's pretty easy and you can use anything your dog likes. I replaced the tuna with cat food one time. You can also leave the flour out, and just experiment.

I already do chicken mince, veggies, garlic, rice and a few chicken necks to top it off for a feed with a sprinkle of calcium powder, and they love it!!! But if I was only eating the one thing every day, I'd get abit bored with it. I don't like anything with gravy, I like my number 2's hard and easy to pick up, lol.

I do a weekly cook up for my dogs of a chicken mince and ox cheek loaf. They're all in pretty good health so I think it must be good for them.

Sounds delicious...are you prepared to part with the recipe? Pretty please :flower:

I used to do treats where I would mix eggs, tuna and flour, and then bake it until it was set, then cut up into little pieces. I can't remember the exact recipe, but it's pretty easy and you can use anything your dog likes. I replaced the tuna with cat food one time. You can also leave the flour out, and just experiment.

I've done something similar - using oil, cooking oats (porridge oats), some flour and whatever leftover cans of tuna are knocking around in my cupboard. Shaped into cookies or rolled, then sliced when cooked.

My littlies, the extremely old and those with a sensitive stomach, live on the meat off cooked chicken drumsticks ($1.99 - $2.99 a kg at my local Peters) and the chicken jelly (fridged till set) that produces and some rice (as well as Biopet organic dog biscuits). I bring the drumsticks to a boil, on high for the first ten minutes, then simmer for 50-60 minutes. Makes them easy to de-bone. I usually cook 3 to 4kg at a time. De-boning is a fun spectator sport for the dogs of an evening while I watch TV. Mostly it just falls off the bone and I check closely for any nasty bits left. You do get messy hands! :laugh:

Poppy's mum, we do a similar thing. We call it papa's special :laugh:

So..

1. Get lots and lots of drumsticks/meat and cook with broth/soup vegs until meat falls off the bone. I also add a tablespoon of Mussel stock powder for taste.

2. De-bone drumsticks/meat and return meat into the broth.

3. Shred all sorts of vegs (lots), include red veg ie carrot, pumpkin.

4. Add a bit of rice (white or wholemeal) and cook until everything is very soft.

Once cool, pack into portions and freeze.

My dogs love it! They are mostly fed barf and this is a very welcome change for them.

I do a weekly cook up for my dogs of a chicken mince and ox cheek loaf. They're all in pretty good health so I think it must be good for them.

Sounds delicious...are you prepared to part with the recipe? Pretty please :flower:

I put 3 kilos of chicken mince, and 1 kilo of ox into a pot with about a litre of warm water, some fresh rosemary from my garden and a couple of rough chopped garlic cloves. Put the heat on as low as it will go. In a separate pot I gently cook about 3/4 cup of split peas, once they're softened I chuck them and the water they cooked in into the chicken pot. Give it a stir, still keep it on low. I chop up carrots, pumpkin, sweet potato, whatever is on special at the time basically and chuck that in too.

Once it's almost cooked I add 1 3/4 cups of white rice, stir and put the lid back on. When it's cooked I then chop up cabbage or bok choy or similar leafy green, stir it through, put the lid back on but turn the heat off. Just let it soften a bit and then put into 2 litre ice cream containers. You should fill about 4 of them. I let them cool in the fridge and I dont put lids on them. If you wanted to put lids on them, make sure they're completely cooled first.

My dog also get meaty bones at least once, sometimes more, per week.

I put 3 kilos of chicken mince, and 1 kilo of ox into a pot with about a litre of warm water, some fresh rosemary from my garden and a couple of rough chopped garlic cloves. Put the heat on as low as it will go. In a separate pot I gently cook about 3/4 cup of split peas, once they're softened I chuck them and the water they cooked in into the chicken pot. Give it a stir, still keep it on low. I chop up carrots, pumpkin, sweet potato, whatever is on special at the time basically and chuck that in too.

Once it's almost cooked I add 1 3/4 cups of white rice, stir and put the lid back on. When it's cooked I then chop up cabbage or bok choy or similar leafy green, stir it through, put the lid back on but turn the heat off. Just let it soften a bit and then put into 2 litre ice cream containers. You should fill about 4 of them. I let them cool in the fridge and I dont put lids on them. If you wanted to put lids on them, make sure they're completely cooled first.

My dog also get meaty bones at least once, sometimes more, per week.

Thank you - that sounds great :) I've never bought ox cheek, I guess the local butcher would have it (never seen it in Woolies etc.)?