Teeth Cleaning

Bella's teeth are a bit dirty at the back, I've been brushing them daily but it's very difficult to do the ones at the back. She's had dentastix before, but they don't appear to do anything. Should I be giving her bones to help keep her teeth clean? How often should bones be given? I often give Bella chicken necks with her food, are they helpful for teeth cleaning? Are there any other foods that can help, vegies etc?

Guest lavendergirl

Have you tried beef tendons or bully sticks? They can be good for cleaning the back teeth and you don't have the worry of bones - that is if the dog likes them :)

Hmm I have to disagree based on my own experience.. I didn't find bully sticks to help keep my dogs teeth clean at all. I'm very sure that they would be a good preventative measure but I think that's once a substantial amount of plaque is there they couldn't help much. Definitely worth a shot though - if you feel more comfortable with them over bones and there is not much tartar I'd be trying them first and seeing if it makes a difference..

I have an Italian Greyhound and a few months ago we were looking like we were going to have him in for his first dental at just over two years old! Not good. His teeth were very discolored (particularly the back ones) and there was lots of manky hard tartar.. yuck. On the advice of a friend I started giving him a bone a big bone (generally lamb neck bones but sometimes roo tail bones too) every other day and switched his diet completely to raw. I really wish I'd taken before and after photos because the difference now is flipping amazing.. he has a near perfect mouth with only very slight discoloration of his back most teeth.

(edited to fix spelling and my misuse of the word plaque! lol)

Edited by Skitch

I give my two meaty bones... there is more meat than bone and tearing the meat etc is what cleans them. Harley did have really bad plaque build up on his back teeth that brushing couldn't help, its not there anymore :)

If your not keen on bones maybe take her to the vet to get a clean done and then use dentastix or what ever to keep them clean.

A quick one, I give my boy one Pedigree Dentastix per day since I got him to clean his teeth. He is now 11 months old. I’ve doing some research on good health diet for pet recently just to make sure I’m giving/feeding him the best things I can and to my surprise, I read quit a fair bit of negative comments on Dentastix. Below is the link to one of petforums I read:

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/170976-ingredients-dentastix-dont-feed.html

So, I’m really confused now :confused: . Anyone has any thought about this? I always stock up the Dentastix if they are on discount and so I just bought two boxes the other day. Am not quite sure whether I should continue give him Dentastix everyday or should throw/give them away?

I personally is not a big fan of raw meaty bone too, as I’m worry he will chock himself and the bacteria and also the mess and dirtiness it will get. So apart from Dentastix and brushing his teeth (he won’t let me do it, he is a Shiba Inu), any other suggestion to clean his teeth? Is rawhide any good for teeth and health? I give him rawhide occasionally.

Anyway, any suggestions and ideas will help. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

P/S: My boy gets Artemis dry food and I think that’s a pretty good one... (I think... :confused: )

Edited by belbel

A quick one, I give my boy one Pedigree Dentastix per day since I got him to clean his teeth. He is now 11 months old. I’ve doing some research on good health diet for pet recently just to make sure I’m giving/feeding him the best things I can and to my surprise, I read quit a fair bit of negative comments on Dentastix. Below is the link to one of petforums I read:

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/170976-ingredients-dentastix-dont-feed.html

So, I’m really confused now :confused: . Anyone has any thought about this? I always stock up the Dentastix if they are on discount and so I just bought two boxes the other day. Am not quite sure whether I should continue give him Dentastix everyday or should throw/give them away?

I personally is not a big fan of raw meaty bone too, as I’m worry he will chock himself and the bacteria and also the mess and dirtiness it will get. So apart from Dentastix and brushing his teeth (he won’t let me do it, he is a Shiba Inu), any other suggestion to clean his teeth? Is rawhide any good for teeth and health? I give him rawhide occasionally.

Cheers

P/S: My boy gets Artemis dry food and I think that’s a pretty good one... (I think... :confused: )

If you sat down and studied the ingredients in most commercial things and that includes foods you will come up with lists of ingredients that someone somewhere on a forum will deem to be capable of harming your dog.

Dogs here eat raw meaty bones as part of their daily diet, they eat them before they have a chance to get dirty or smelly, they eat them completely and there is no mess left behind. I feed fresh refrigerated meats and bones and have not had an issue with bacterial illnesses.

Anything a dog eats or chews can in reality be a choking risk, I have known dogs to choke and die eating dry food, dog sausage, left over cooked sausages, and yes raw bones. Just like every year a number of people die from choking on food.

If your dog is thriving on Artemis, then stop worrying.

You will have to make up your own mind about teeth cleaning and do what causes you the least worry.

I've started giving Bella bones, but I've found she doesn't seem as keen to finish all her food when she's given them. It puts me off a bit, from giving them to her too often. I also sometimes give her chicken necks, but only if she's eaten all her food because otherwise she won't eat it all.

What's involved with having a vet clean her teeth?

I've started giving Bella bones, but I've found she doesn't seem as keen to finish all her food when she's given them. It puts me off a bit, from giving them to her too often. I also sometimes give her chicken necks, but only if she's eaten all her food because otherwise she won't eat it all.

gazellehound its really about what suits your dogs. There are those of us who are/were raw food and meaty bone fanatics years ago - I was one of them - yet I now occasionally supplement with dry kibble - particularly now I can get brands that I'm happy with at a reasonable price. Although I would never feed a solely dry food diet - I genuinely believe dogs need moisture in their food as well but I don't mind supplementing occasionally with dry food now. (Mind you a bag lasts me forever - using Black Hawk at the moment :thumbsup: )

If you are lucky enough to have a dog who does well on raw meaty bones (RMBs) and prefers them and is happy and healthy with good coat, weight and teeth and you can then reduce her 'dinner' amount (I assume its a commercial wet or dry food?), then I think go for it. I wouldn't be worried at all - in fact lucky you, as you're probably finding this is a cheaper way to feed good food.

I see you are in SA - something else you can try is Jo's 'Formula' (DOLs 'Yellowgirl') - its is very reasonably priced and very high quality raw food. I've been using it now for some years and my dogs have thrived on it. Jo's shop has changed hands recently but the new owner, Corina is lovely too and has continued with Jo's Formula and if anything has improved it. The shop is 'Adelaide Dog' at 305a Payneham Road, Royston Park - northern city side of the Portrush Road intersection in a small shopping centre complex with an Italian name like Minnicozi - or something like that. Corina also stocks a good range of healthy no-preservative treats and chews - so that might be worth investigating too. And for anyone who's wondering - no - I have no connection with the shop or Jo or Corina - just really like what they're doing. Hope that helps. :)

ETA: Forgot to add a vet will usually do a good job on a dental - but it does involve a general anaesthetic and expense on a fairly regular basis - so if you can find a solution which doesn't involve a GA (eg good chews or bones) then I think thats far far preferable and I think most good vets would agree. (GAs should always be minimised IMO). The other thing you can do is actually clean their teeth with a doggy toothpaste and a finger glove 'brush'. I've not had a lot of success with it but I believe others have, particularly if you are disciplined and brush each day. Vets and pet supplies places sell them. :)

Edited by westiemum

If she likes bones then you can substitute a normal meal with them..mine get turkey necks as a meal..or a chicken frame...they are part of their diet not an extra.

Cheers

If you sat down and studied the ingredients in most commercial things and that includes foods you will come up with lists of ingredients that someone somewhere on a forum will deem to be capable of harming your dog.

Dogs here eat raw meaty bones as part of their daily diet, they eat them before they have a chance to get dirty or smelly, they eat them completely and there is no mess left behind. I feed fresh refrigerated meats and bones and have not had an issue with bacterial illnesses.

Anything a dog eats or chews can in reality be a choking risk, I have known dogs to choke and die eating dry food, dog sausage, left over cooked sausages, and yes raw bones. Just like every year a number of people die from choking on food.

If your dog is thriving on Artemis, then stop worrying.

You will have to make up your own mind about teeth cleaning and do what causes you the least worry.

There’s one time my boy did get chicken/turkey neck occasionally, but I need to watch him the whole time when he was chewing on them. Sometimes when I give it to him, he won’t eat it straight away. He will lick the bones and carry them with him to everywhere he goes for good 15 minutes, hence that’s why I’m worrying about the bacteria and dirtiness. But I think it seems like the RMBs is the best option to clean the teeth, so I will give it a go again and see how it will turn out. And definitely NO to the Dentastix again!!!!

Thanks and in the end, we are all trying to give the best possible to our four legged friends and we all learn and grow :)

What are the dental effects of frozen turkey/chicken wings? Are they as beneficial as non-frozen? I ask because Zeus hoovers his turkey wing down without really chewing it and by freezing them he does chew them.

I also have to freeze them because Kirah chews through her chicken wing slowly and by freezing zeus's turkey wing, they finish at the same time.

I tried brisket bones but Kirah got tired from chewing it and Zeus took half she'd broken off. They don't fight at all which is good. So I'm just wondering if there's a frozen vs fresh debate and which is best for teeth cleaning?

Dental cleaning by the vet is done if your dog's teeth get quite bad, and requires a general anaesthetic. I've had to have my older dogs done several times unfortunately. Anaesthetics come with risks and I'd prefer never to have to do this again if we can avoid it.

I think some good bones to chew is a MUCH better option - especially for the dog. My vet has recommended a bone every other day. And yes it is replaces a meal, not additional. So Bella's got the right idea :)

I've been using lamb necks. They are nice and big, strong and the dogs are getting lots of chewing value out of them without destroying them or biting chunks off. I'm really happy. I find chicken necks are gone within seconds - and swallowed which worries me a bit. So I prefer the lamb necks, although a bit harder to find they are worth it.

I used to give Denta bones and Denta stix. The dogs absolutely love them as a treat/reward, but IME they are not an effective method to keep their teeth clean.

Edited by Zug Zug

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm going to try giving her bones as a meal replacement every other day, as well as brushing with the little finger brush I have. I'll probably keep giving her Dentastix occasionally because she LOVES them, so they make a good treat. I definitely don't want to put Bella under anaesthetic unless it is completely necessary so I'm not going down that road!

My dog loves dentastix too, but I prefer to give her Greenies - www.greenies.com - they're a bit on the exxy side but my dog loves them, has great teeth and my vet actually recommended them after I'd started giving them to her anyway. Also, they're shaped like toothbrushes, which is the kind of gimmicky thing that I love :laugh:

Just make sure that you buy the right size. I started off giving Maggie teeny greenies (smallest) but the vet said that she probably needs the next size up to really get the full benefit of chewing etc.

For those worried about feeding bones e.g. germs etc read the list of myths about feeding raw bones.

http://rawfed.com/myths/

My 1st border collie, in her later years, couldn't eat anything with wheat in it so the last few years of her life she lived on raw chicken wings, legs & the occasional lamb neck. Her teeth went from the vet saying she needed a clean to not needing a clean on the next vet visit.

• 9 months later...