Dog Eating Dog Poo

Sardog

Pick it up??

I have heard that you can feed them pinapple or something acidic so it no longer tastes nice. Thankfully my boy outgrew that habit before it came an issue.

Picking up during the day is out of the question (working). Tried sprinkling chilli flakes (hot) on the stools but that was no good - still ate it all.

Have now tried pineapple in his dinner so we'll see what happens.

Can't offer advice sorry - just heaps of sympathy!!!! I had a foster Military Working Dog pup that would eat my other dogs poo while they were still doing it :eek: - my DIL called it soft serve :laugh: . I tried the pineapple juice, giving it the the MWD pup (a capful with his dinner) and my own two dogs and my foster ended up with diarrhoea :( He came to us at 10 weeks with this habbit and went back to them at 7mths improved but still doing it :(

Edited by gsdog2

I go through this fairly often, as a rescuer and foster carer.

The pineapple must be fresh (not sure why). I chop up about a tablespoon for my dogs (mostly around 5 kilos).

This is a very common issue with dogs from puppy farms or breeders as female dogs learn to clean up after their puppies and where they are bred back to back and things aren't cleaned up too often it can be come an issue or if they get bored etc. Some dogs just do it anyway.

With my latest poop eater (from a breeder and aged 8) it was very ingrained. I had to put pineapple in every dog's food for 3 days at a time, on 3 separate occasions. Dog was eating poop as it was coming out of hers and the ohter's backsides, truly gross and I tend to freak out .... eeek.

Anyhow, the pineapple has fixed it and if it starts up again so will the added pineapple. The only thing you may not be able to stop is them eating other dog's poop when you are out, if people acted responsibly then it wouldn't happen but we are not in a perfect world sadly.

I go through this fairly often, as a rescuer and foster carer.

The pineapple must be fresh (not sure why). I chop up about a tablespoon for my dogs (mostly around 5 kilos).

This is a very common issue with dogs from puppy farms or breeders as female dogs learn to clean up after their puppies and where they are bred back to back and things aren't cleaned up too often it can be come an issue or if they get bored etc. Some dogs just do it anyway.

With my latest poop eater (from a breeder and aged 8) it was very ingrained. I had to put pineapple in every dog's food for 3 days at a time, on 3 separate occasions. Dog was eating poop as it was coming out of hers and the ohter's backsides, truly gross and I tend to freak out .... eeek.

Anyhow, the pineapple has fixed it and if it starts up again so will the added pineapple. The only thing you may not be able to stop is them eating other dog's poop when you are out, if people acted responsibly then it wouldn't happen but we are not in a perfect world sadly.

Thanks for your very sympathetic advice. This is a problem I have NEVER been faced with before and I am on this forum as a matter of desperation.

One answer "pick it up" I felt insulting to this forum and me. However encouraging posts like yours and the others are really what this forum is about and I will persist with the pineapple (he liked the chilli flakes - yuk-advised by my vet actually). I am hoping like hell that he grows out of it (he's 6mo) and cannot understand where this has come from as we got him from a reputable breeder. Boredom ...hmm have read this may be the centre but he's exercised twice a day, lives on 2 acre property...but I do see him "licking his chops" when others are toileting - it's disgusting.

I've found tinned pineapple works fine. You have to put it in the food of ALL the dogs he is with, including his own. A 1/2 slice of tinned for a 15-16kg dog was fine.

If he's only recently started doing this consider if anything's changed - has he just been neutered, have you changed foods (or has the food you give them been "new and improved" :laugh: Do any of the kennel mates possibly have underlying digestion issues - failure to fully digest food can be a sign of all sorts of conditions (Pancreas conditions for one) and makes the end result more interesting to other dogs.

Edited by Sandra777

I have a feamle BT who was kept kennelled and bred from before i had her who eats hers, my other 2, and any she can grab on walks! drives me nuts :eek:

i have tried the pinapple for the last 2 days in all their food, but think i need to put more in as not worked yet.

Hello,

I know that this has probably been done to death here but can you please refresh me on how to stop a dog eating dog poo (not his own) kennel mates.

All running free together.

Thanks in advance

No great advice that hasn't already been covered but you have my sympathy!

My pup came from a reputable breeder and was a poo connoisiour. :eek: I had some success sprinkling pineapple juice over his food, but I think he may have just grown out of it too.

Well sort of, he'll still try to eat a 'cat crunchie' out on walks if I don't catch him in time!

I also have this problem. He is 6 months old and has done it since he came home. He is from a spotless reputable breeder, so, that is not the issue. He doesn't eat his own, only the others. He even carries them inside. We are on an acre and pick up every day all day. We have 4 dogs.

We tried putting pepper, Tabasco, and it hasn't helped, it only made is spicy for him!! If he gets one and you catch him, he bolts so that you can't take it from him.

I will definitely be trying the pineapple juice. It's sad because you can't have or give him "Puppy love" you have to keep him at a distance, even though he would love too.

He is about 3 Kilos, can anyone recommend how much I should give him and his 5 kg mates?

Thanks.

I also have this problem. He is 6 months old and has done it since he came home. He is from a spotless reputable breeder, so, that is not the issue. He doesn't eat his own, only the others. He even carries them inside. We are on an acre and pick up every day all day. We have 4 dogs.

We tried putting pepper, Tabasco, and it hasn't helped, it only made is spicy for him!! If he gets one and you catch him, he bolts so that you can't take it from him.

I will definitely be trying the pineapple juice. It's sad because you can't have or give him "Puppy love" you have to keep him at a distance, even though he would love too.

He is about 3 Kilos, can anyone recommend how much I should give him and his 5 kg mates?

Thanks.

OMG, I'm hearing you loud and clear, this is the exact replica of our boy - same age etc. I have put the pineapple juice in the other dog's dinners (much to one's disgust) but I will see how it goes.

I haven't used pineapple juice - only the fresh pineapple (my vet said tinned wasn't the same) fruit from Woolies - comes already cut up in the fresh veggies section, nr the lettuce.

It has worked well for me with several foster dogs over the last few years. Just a chopped up tablespoon for a 5 kilo dog, for several nights in their dinners. All the dogs need it if you have one poo eater. Haven't had a dog who refused it yet!

Thanks.

OMG, I'm hearing you loud and clear, this is the exact replica of our boy - same age etc. I have put the pineapple juice in the other dog's dinners (much to one's disgust) but I will see how it goes.

It's so hard with a puppy isn't it!! all I want to do is give him cuddles and love but its very very off putting risking second hand poop breath, I think it's making a bit of a problem bonding as well, he gets lots and lots of attention but not real cuddles or puppy licking (some might not allow this anyway, but I don't mind) I just pray that the pineapple works or he grows out of it.

this girl i am fostering did it for a few days , i changed her food and was like the poop patrol demon, but as you said you cant always be there, she has stopped now, but has discovered horse poo now :laugh:

I had one that would do it, not all the time but every now and again.

I bought the tinned crushed Pineapple and was told to feed the dogs who's poop he was eating one tablespoon. At the same time I changed the brand of dry food he was on and he stopped within around 2 weeks. He now does love to have a good sniff - read nose ON poop but I have not seen him even think about eating any in a good 18 months I would think.