Prog Results V's Matings ?

rajacadoo

Just not sure if I should get my hopes up here, and wanting some advice :) ...

Ok so my girl started her season a little oddly, small amount of browny red discharge, for a few days, then nothing, then a couple of days later, blood, small amount of swelling, for about 8-ish days, then no blood, swelling, and a few days later more blood... I counted day 1 fom the first day of bleeding. She was prog tested on day 5 with a reading of less than 1... she was then prog tested again on day 12 and she was 82.1. (stupid Easter stopped us from testing her from about day 9-ish), and that was this Tuesday. I couldnt get her up to her "Beau" till about 8 pm on Thursday, but she had a 25 minute tie then, followed by another 25 minute tie this morning. Will try to have another tomorrow... She was very receptive to the dog, flagging etc, both days.

With her prog reading being so high, do you think she has a chance of having a litter ??? My gut tells me no, that we have missed her, but, with her being so receptive to the male, and having 2 good ties, Im now thinking just maybe :) ...

She comes from strong female lines of late in the season matings, usually around the late teens/early 20's...

Idea's ???

Edited by rajacadoo

The litter I have here at the moment was conceived when her progesterone was over 63nmol/ ... She flagged but the stud (a very experienced stud at that) was not interested and needed a helping hand :doh: another stud at the same kennel was not interested either so I really didn't expect puppies >> end result was 9 puppies delivered.

Good Luck.

Oooooh that does sound hopeful Fordogs :D ... Were you too thinking that you may not have babies ???

Aziah, I really hope so, otherwise there wont be a litter from her till this time nexy year, unless she has an 'out of season' season !!!

Bisart Dobes thats what I was thinking too, (after my gut said no, we've missed her), I started to think about it. The dog is an experienced boy, he spent no time on foreplay, it was a case of 'Wham Bam, Thank You Mam', both times :laugh: ... She is a maiden, so I wanted to do the prog testing, (especially with the family history of late matings with her lines), cos she was being sent away to him. My boys here certainly thought she was ready, the day she was 82.1, the screaming, whinging, restlessness etc, etc... One of the main reasons I did the prog test, was to get an idea of where she was at, so she didnt have to do what your bitch did, sit up there waiting, waiting, waiting !!!

So they had another 18 min tie this am... They were both not as eager this morning, but got there in the end :thumbsup: ...

Shes coming home tomorrow :D ...

Talking to another Basenji breeder, and she believes that there isnt a chance she is/will be pregnant, and that the cervix will already be closed, so no sperm can/will get through... Oh well will U/S her at 4 weeks...

Edited by rajacadoo

So they had another 18 min tie this am... They were both not as eager this morning, but got there in the end :thumbsup: ...

Shes coming home tomorrow :D ...

Talking to another Basenji breeder, and she believes that there isnt a chance she is/will be pregnant, and that the cervix will already be closed, so no sperm can/will get through... Oh well will U/S her at 4 weeks...

Time will tell. :)

LizT, it sure will :) ...

HANNAH, I was wondering if the eggs do stay viable ??? I really hope in her case thats what has happened :) ...

She's back home today, and was very excited to see us, as we were, to see her... The looooong countdown begins !!!

Is the stud dog experienced and what is he telling you? A good stud dog knows when a bitch is ovulating and the time of ovulation is important not the number of days into the season.

Yes he is experieneced, I think this is his 4th mating ??? He was very keen, very, very keen on the first 2 days, (as was she), and on the 3rd mating, not as keen, neither of them, but still an 18 minute tie...

I couldnt get her up to her "Beau" till about 8 pm on Thursday, but she had a 25 minute tie then, followed by another 25 minute tie this morning.

:confused: You posted on 12th that she had a tie that morning so did they have the first tie 8pm Wednesday?

Yep they did Chocolate :D ... The bit you quoted is my error, should be Wednesday, not Thursday !!! I thought I double checked my days etc, clearly not enough :o ...

So far I seem to have an overwhelming thought, (both from here, and talking to a few different breeders this weekend), that we might just have babies, but unfortunately one person who I really respect, and involved in the breed, says she would very much doubt she is pregnant :cry: ...

Oh well being the incredibly patient, (NOT), person that I am, I will just have to wait till U/S day :) ...

Well Wednesday is better than Thursday, haha! What time did you get the prog test done on the Tuesday and what numbers do they go by for ovulation?

You just never know with these girls, they don't always read the book.....i've heard of some really late breedings take (much to everyones suprise) and lots done at exactly the right time and they don't take!

If you hadn't of done the prog at all, you would be just going by the stud dog, and by the sounds of it he was as keen as musturd.

Talking to another Basenji breeder, and she believes that there isnt a chance she is/will be pregnant, and that the cervix will already be closed.

That is what the text books say.

My highest reading that resulted in a litter was 63.1 (am) with a mating the following day (am). I thought this was very borderline on whether the mating would take but it resulted in a normal size litter of 5 pups. Now with your reading in the 80's that's pushing the boundaries further so will be interesting to see if it takes. The positive sign is that they mated:-) Most likely though by the time the sperm can fertilise the eggs would no longer be viable so either no pups or just 1 or 2. However, it also depends on what your labs values are as different labs have slightly different prog reading levels so perhaps ask what their guidelines are. Good luck and keep us posted!