Pet Friendly Rentals

cyeeraaahz

Hi,

Was wondering what your thoughts are on applications for rental properties. Of course, I'm looking out for the ones marked as 'pet friendly' or 'pets considered at application' and read about writing a cover letter and pet resume. Problem is that I currently don't own a dog in my current household, just planning to get a small dog from a breeder in the near future ie in the new rental property. Do you think the best bet, in this case, is to ask the breeder to be my 'reference'? Any other suggestions would be great :) finding pet friendly rentals is quite difficult...

I would personally let the owners know your intentions of one day wanting to add a dog to your family. Let them know how you plan to deal with toilet training, what's the dog going to be doing whilst no one is home. If I were a property owner I would feel at ease knowing someone has plans in place to prevent yard/house damage. Wouldn't someone from your work place be a better reference then the breeder, someone from work I would assume knows you a lot better then the breeder does. They can vouch for what kind of person you are, i'm sure a breeder could do this to some extent aswell I guess it depends how well you know the breeder. Hopefully this makes some kind of sense. I can't be as helpful as others can as I'm currently still at home :p.

Oh of course I'd like to let them know I'll be getting a dog. I've heard that some people introduce their dog to the landlord, though I can't really do that, hence the breeder as a reference? I can see how you are thinking though, thanks!

Some people also offer extra bond or rent per week to compensate for having a pet in the household in case something gets damaged?

I would personally let the owners know your intentions of one day wanting to add a dog to your family. Let them know how you plan to deal with toilet training, what's the dog going to be doing whilst no one is home. If I were a property owner I would feel at ease knowing someone has plans in place to prevent yard/house damage. Wouldn't someone from your work place be a better reference then the breeder, someone from work I would assume knows you a lot better then the breeder does. They can vouch for what kind of person you are, i'm sure a breeder could do this to some extent aswell I guess it depends how well you know the breeder. Hopefully this makes some kind of sense. I can't be as helpful as others can as I'm currently still at home :p.

Hi,

Was wondering what your thoughts are on applications for rental properties. Of course, I'm looking out for the ones marked as 'pet friendly' or 'pets considered at application' and read about writing a cover letter and pet resume. Problem is that I currently don't own a dog in my current household, just planning to get a small dog from a breeder in the near future ie in the new rental property. Do you think the best bet, in this case, is to ask the breeder to be my 'reference'? Any other suggestions would be great :) finding pet friendly rentals is quite difficult...

I've just been through a similar thing, finding a new place to live with my pup. When you're looking at places, keep in mind that if it's a newish place, or has lots of carpet, it will pretty much be an automatic "no" on the pets! You may have to compromise on what you want in order to find somewhere, and you might find you don't actually need to jump through so many hoops with pet resumes etc.

You see a place you like, you call and say you have a small dog, will that be a problem. You'll get an immediate "no that's not a problem", or a "uh we'll consider it" which usually means no.

I got a place today actually (yipee!) - and it's fully tiled throughout the whole house (even bedrooms!) which is awesome coz carpet sucks with puppies (I have a 6 month old pup, and another arriving in July). It took a few disappointments when places I loved wouldn't accept pets (sometimes even if the ads said pets considered, they said they wouldn't consider it lol). also, don't click the "pets allowed" options on domain.com.au etc, no one uses it I found, even if they allow pets so it limits your results.

So, yeh. Good luck, keep at it. Don't over-do it, and don't offer anything extra. It's illegal for them to charge more bond etc for pets in NSW.

Oh of course I'd like to let them know I'll be getting a dog. I've heard that some people introduce their dog to the landlord, though I can't really do that, hence the breeder as a reference? I can see how you are thinking though, thanks!

Some people also offer extra bond or rent per week to compensate for having a pet in the household in case something gets damaged?

I'm not sure where you are, but in Qld I'm pretty sure you are not allowed to charge a "pet bond" or extra rent. When we rented between owning properties I offered this but was told it was illegal. I just used some personal references and showed some photos of the house we just sold, along with a reference from the sales agent saying how well it was kept and presented, despite having pets. We got the property.

hmmm so at the moment i'm renting, been renting for a few years now and a good record (or so i hope!) so far.

for the moment I have just been emailing real estate agents about potential properties and if they are or are not pet friendly. I guess just hope for the best with inspections and applications with the mention of a future dog.

thanks for the advice!

p.s. actually on rent.com.au, i found it funny that in the 'renting with pets' advice section, they do mention the extra bond/rent agreement? i guess it depends on state? i'm in sydney btw

Edited by cyeeraaahz

Pet bonds are not illegal. Expect to pay one! Good luck!

In NSW (where the OP is from), pet bonds are illegal. Please check your facts before providing incorrect information.

(note: landlords are not allowed to ask for an additional “pet bond” from a tenant in NSW);

source: http://www.lawsociety.com.au/idc/groups/public/documents/internetyounglawyers/027213.pdf

Edited by minimax

the search continues! i got this 'annoyed' sounding reply when i was enquiring about a property via email:

start quote [are small pets allowed ?

sorry - I have had small pets scratch on, damaging doors and screen doors, and pee on carpet and concrete and leave a stench which requires weeks of airing After carpet is ripped up - i.e. thousands of dollars damage - so no. ]end quote

it was just a question! chill out! Yes, i can understand why alot of rentals are not pet friendly, but a simple 'no pets' would have been fine. it came straight form the landlord too.

sorry for the rant, i guess stress is getting to me to find a new place.

On another note, a real estate agent was saying to me that he once had a dog in his rental, got a letter saying that he needed to place an application with strata for permission to keep the dog on the premises, sent the application, never got a reply. So he kept his dog and stayed there for 4 years. Then basically said, get the dog, and say that i have a signed lease and i'm paying rent so there's nothing you can do about it. I think he was just lucky. Don't think i can get away with that nowadays. :S

Guest donatella

expect to pay one? I haven't nor had any of the advertised properties added an extra for pet bond. :confused:

the search continues! i got this 'annoyed' sounding reply when i was enquiring about a property via email:

start quote [are small pets allowed ?

sorry - I have had small pets scratch on, damaging doors and screen doors, and pee on carpet and concrete and leave a stench which requires weeks of airing After carpet is ripped up - i.e. thousands of dollars damage - so no. ]end quote

it was just a question! chill out! Yes, i can understand why alot of rentals are not pet friendly, but a simple 'no pets' would have been fine. it came straight form the landlord too.

sorry for the rant, i guess stress is getting to me to find a new place.

What I don't understand is how hard is it for an agent to write "no pets" on the ad, as opposed to making people ask and risk getting bitchy responses in return.

Some agents/owners make people with pets feel like the absolute scum of the earth, when it really is common these days to have a pet! And really, you could do what millions of others do and move in your pet without asking, so they should be grateful you are asking in the first place.

I feel your pain, having just been through the same thing :)

Another tip: don't email - call. You'll usually get a better response over the phone as people are a lot bitchier over email and lot more willing to say no, over the phone you also have more chance to sell yourself and your case.

We just rented out a house we own and clearly stated 'pets welcome'.

To us, it was a selling point as not many rentals allow dogs. And we knew the house suited dogs because it was the house we had lived in for the past 8 years. So good fencing, loads of garden, dog proof screen on the back door, and no carpets anywhere in the house only tiles or timber.

The house was snapped up immediately, as you would expect. If our experience is good this time, we will do the same again.

I don't think a reference from a breeder would be at all relevant to me. How would a breeder know how you will handle your puppy, when it comes to protecting the property?

I think references for how you have cared for properties previously are more useful and relevant.

I don't envy you the search. I hope you can find the right place.

We just rented out a house we own and clearly stated 'pets welcome'.

To us, it was a selling point as not many rentals allow dogs. And we knew the house suited dogs because it was the house we had lived in for the past 8 years. So good fencing, loads of garden, dog proof screen on the back door, and no carpets anywhere in the house only tiles or timber.

The house was snapped up immediately, as you would expect. If our experience is good this time, we will do the same again.

I don't think a reference from a breeder would be at all relevant to me. How would a breeder know how you will handle your puppy, when it comes to protecting the property?

I think references for how you have cared for properties previously are more useful and relevant.

I don't envy you the search. I hope you can find the right place.

agreed, i always see more adverts for pet friendly rentals wanted more than pets welcome so i can see that there is quite a demand for those kind of properties. I was only thinking of the breeder because i would be getting an older dog (not puppy), so perhaps they would know a bit more about the dog ie house trained etc. But yes i also agree past rental references would be much better. Thanks! I have about 1 month maximum to look for a new place... will keep searching!

We never paid one and we have mutiple dogs..

Well when we looked around we applied for a house and I wrote a simple cover letter explaining our situation with dogs as we show and trial and how our dogs went to work on occasion with the OH and how they slept outside ect.. I offered to the owners a bond of up to two weeks rent to show them that we were committed and serious. They didn't take it but the offer was there..

I wouldn't bother going into stuff about toilet training and stuff as tbh they don't care, most places state dogs must be kept outside but you still have to carpet clean and pest spray the place. We let the smaller ones inside to sleep in their crates and for meals in the kitchen but that's it.

Pet friendly rentals are like gold if you can find good owners you are set ours just don't seem to give a toss we really take care of their property and in return we have heard boo all from them..