Stuff To Do With Your Dog In Orange

I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this (if not please move :) )

I am struggling to find things to do with my dog in Orange. This includes obedience, agility, flyball and just general fun stuff.

As far as I know there are only two places that do obedience/training. I have tried both.

One is run by a Delta accredited trainer.

She is OK but isn't exactly what I want, very 'positive-only' 'the Delta way is the only way' and only runs classes in 'blocks' of 4-6 weeks, usually at times I have to work.

The other is run by the Orange and District Kennel and Obedience Club ODKOCI. I used to go out there years ago and it was great fun. The would often have 40+ people, most of which were lovely. The also used to have 'fun days' where the agility equipment was brought out, you could participate in 'doggy dancing' and trick classes. They also were trying to start up a flyball team.

Recently I have been back out there and it is definitely not the same. they are lucky to get more than 10 people (and that includes 4+ instructors who often swap and participate in classes) The running committee are the ones who are alot of the reason I left last time. Very uppity about themselves, their dogs and how things should be done. One in particular is very quick to jump down people's throats, especially when the dog is not co-operating and many people don't even last one training session. I've seen a few leave in tears.

The fly ball equipment has apparently disappeared, some of the agility equipment is still there but when I asked about it, was 'stomped on' so haven't been game to ask again. :(

I've heard that there is an obedience/agility club in Bathurst, but it is an hour drive to get there. Same with a herding class.

Sorry for my rambling :o

So if anyone has any suggestions on other places that are available in the area I would be ecstatic!

I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this (if not please move :) )

I am struggling to find things to do with my dog in Orange. This includes obedience, agility, flyball and just general fun stuff.

As far as I know there are only two places that do obedience/training. I have tried both.

One is run by a Delta accredited trainer.

She is OK but isn't exactly what I want, very 'positive-only' 'the Delta way is the only way' and only runs classes in 'blocks' of 4-6 weeks, usually at times I have to work.

The other is run by the Orange and District Kennel and Obedience Club ODKOCI. I used to go out there years ago and it was great fun. The would often have 40+ people, most of which were lovely. The also used to have 'fun days' where the agility equipment was brought out, you could participate in 'doggy dancing' and trick classes. They also were trying to start up a flyball team.

Recently I have been back out there and it is definitely not the same. they are lucky to get more than 10 people (and that includes 4+ instructors who often swap and participate in classes) The running committee are the ones who are alot of the reason I left last time. Very uppity about themselves, their dogs and how things should be done. One in particular is very quick to jump down people's throats, especially when the dog is not co-operating and many people don't even last one training session. I've seen a few leave in tears.

The fly ball equipment has apparently disappeared, some of the agility equipment is still there but when I asked about it, was 'stomped on' so haven't been game to ask again. :(

I've heard that there is an obedience/agility club in Bathurst, but it is an hour drive to get there. Same with a herding class.

Sorry for my rambling :o

So if anyone has any suggestions on other places that are available in the area I would be ecstatic!

I live in sydney and travel an hr for training some nights. I think its better to do the travel to a good club then slug away at a crappy club and lose motivation/get frustrated.

Good luck finding something

I'm not too fussed about the travelling, if I have to, but presently I don't have a licence. :o :o My parents don't mind taxi-ing me around a bit, they are quite happy to drive me around for things in town/ not too far out, but asking them to drive an hour one way then hang around and then drive back is a bit much for a regular basis.

I AM working on my licence am NEARLY there :o , so hopefully in the next month I should be able to drive myself around :D :eek: (if they'll let me borrow the car!)

Don't know anything around Orange sorry, but do understand about the licence! Before I got my licence OH would drive me to training, it was hard and he was always complaining. It was so great when I finally got it and can go places myself :thumbsup: You will get there!

Just a suggestion but if there were 40 plus people participating and having fun before - they too must be looking for another outlet. What about advertising your interest and possibly starting your own group if sufficient interest is shown.

I'm in Bathurst, I dont go to the clubs here but my son and his gf were taking their pup to obedience here and were happy with the one out at Kelso, I think they also do agility. I think they still run on sat mornings. They stop the evening class during winter due to the weather.

Driving for an hr in the country is a lot different to an hr in the city, especially between Bathurst and Orange in the winter at night between the fog, black ice, roos ect.

Good luck with you're licence, hopefully you can find something else in Orange or as someone said maybe advertise or try and contact past members (if you know their names) :)

I don't know many of the previous members names, but I could try to find out. I don't know about starting another group, it sounds too complicated for me :o

When I get my licence (hopefully soon! :o I will have to really pull my finger out!) I will definitely have to check out the Bathurst Club! It sounds good. Though I usually have to work saturdays >.<

Does anyone know of a flyball club in the area? Does Bathurst run one?

I think I might have to wait until I get my licence to have much fun!

It can be really hard to find clubs out this way! I am living in Dubbo at the moment, and I think Bathurst is still the closest for agility training... Which is a 2 and a half hour drive for me and not really do-able at the moment.

If you find anything in orange, that is a little bit closer for me.. haha

I AM working on my licence am NEARLY there :o , so hopefully in the next month I should be able to drive myself around :D :eek: (if they'll let me borrow the car!)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nearly? :p

I have the phone number of a lady who wants to start something up, will find it for you and leave it at work. She is looking at agility or flyball. Have to go through my messages to find the number.

Nothing else here, Bathurst is the only other place close to do anything

Greater Western dog club in Bathurst have obedience (Saturday Morning) and agility (Sunday Morning) and are running Rally - O on the odd weekend here and there, their email address is [email protected] contact Rodney for full details.

There is also the Dennison club in Bathurst, sorry don't have their details.

Orange is definately a non event for dog things these days. I haven't been to the obedience club here in years but have been told how it has deteriorated.

Good luck with your driving!!