Microchipping Puppies

sheena

I am just curious about something I just read on an add that keeps pooping up on DOL, concerning the Victorian Dept Primary Industries requirements for displaying the microchip number of all puppies advertised for sale. Here is the quote

"Q. What if I'm a breeder advertising the future availability of puppies or kittens that aren't born or for sale yet?

A. As long as your advertisement relates only to the future availability of litters, and does not include reference to animals currently "for sale", the microchip requirements do not apply. However such advertisements must be kept up to date, in that as soon as these animals do become available for sale, the microchip details must also be displayed in the advertisement."

Does that mean that all puppies should be microchipped at birth & their numbers displayed on the adds of breeders??? :confused: ie: blue puppy m/c number ???? red puppy m/c number.??... If that's the case then all the breeders advertising on DOL are breaking the law by not displaying the microchip numbers of their puppies. I am very confused with this as I would have thought there would be a minimum age/size that a puppy could be chipped. :confused: OK...so I know I am missing something here....so please fill me in, :)

Puppies are usually not chipped until they are at least 6 weeks old so that means the breeder cant advertise them until they have been done.

Theoretically its possible to chip a puppy at birth but no one Ive ever heard of has done so. You're right lots of them advertising here are breaking the law.

I take it that I can advertise a litter as being available up to the age they can be sold - 8 weeks. After 8 weeks I can't advertise them without their chip number.

If I advertise that I have a litter of 4 dogs and 4 bitches and some may be for sale once they are 8 weeks old I am in the clear. I have not defined which ones are for sale or that there will be any for sale at all. Once I say the yellow bitch is for sale I must include the chip number.

It is a grey area that DPI are aware of!

You can advertise "forthcoming litters" or "puppies from forthcoming litters", any time without need for adding microchipping details.

As Rebanne has mentioned, once you have specified a particular puppy for sale then you must state microchip number in all advertising.