Lightroom?

*Lolapalooza*

Where is the best place to buy lightroom please, how much could i expect to pay?

I looked at BH photo in the USA and its $89 for an upgrade, do i have to have Lightroom first or can I just buy the upgrade since i do have photoshop CS5 already. or is that a stupid question (need mr rolly eyes!)

No, it's not true at all. The whole point of Lightroom is working on RAW files :)

I personally import as DNGs but you can set your settings to import your camera's native RAW files.

Ok I just bought it and it was $187, Im getting my friend to come around and show me how to use it, am super excited after years of just not using PS cos it was too hard :(

I had been editing in Windows photo manager only :laugh: my pics are in for a surprise :thumbsup:

yay! It's super easy.

Biggest tip is don't be afraid of the sliders - just play and move them significantly left and right to get a feel what they each do and how they impact each other. You cannot hurt your image as it does not apply changes to the original data.

the new LR4 has the sliders of the main develop area (tint, temp, exposure, contrast, highlights etc) in the order that a lot of people find "correct" - which means start at the top and work your way down.

Have fun!!

Presets are 'recipes' I guess. Combinations of lots of different LR adjustments to apply to your images in one hit. Makes it so much easier for processing a lot of images. Then you can adjust it again, as they are not a one size fits all solution.

You can make your own and adjust already existing ones to suit your images more :) The wedding I just processed was done entirely in LR with two presets - one B&W and one colour (colour one by me, b&w was someone elses and adjusted to my taste). Finer details (cloning and sharpening) were done in CS5.

Edited by huga

I've never seen any presets that I would actually spend money on.

They are so very very easy and since every shooter is different tailoring your own is a great way to go. There are a ton of free ones out there if you want some to get started - just google.

Google making a preset in LR and there are step by step tutorials - it takes like 5 seconds to make a new one.

The best thing about presets is even after you apply one you still have full control over everything so you can tweak images a little or a lot to get the best out of the individual image. Or you can start with one and radically change it and save that as a new preset.

Presets rock :)

I clicked on the link snook gave on the previous page.

I looked at a heap of youtube vids on different things to do on how to use it.

Presets are a few tweaks of the toggles on the right hand side in one go (if that makes any sense!)instead of moving a bunch of toggles (sliders) to change effects you can just click on the particular preset you want (ie if you want all your pics in that bunch with a particular sepia tone and same lighting or similar

The best thing anyone ever taught me about LR was how to 'pick' using P. So look through them in develop, use P to pick the ones to keep and then filter the flagged ones using the box in the bottom right hand corner. So good for lots of images.