Is She Too Old?

Havent been on here for years! I have an almost 8yr old lab that I trained in agility about 6 years ago, before my first child was born. I really would like to get back into the sport (now that I've had all my kids!) but am concerned that she may be too old to compete. She is fit and healthy, never had any joint problems. But by the time she would be back up to trialling she would almost be 9... Wdyt?

I think it would depend on the dog. There are awesome dogs still competing at 8 an 9 and beyond, but it would really depend on the condition, health, motivation/drive levels and fitness of your dog.

Totally depends on the fitness and attitude of the dog.

Sparkle is now nearly 10 and has (not officially announced yet)made it onto the NSW agility team.

Rabbit continued to compete until she was 13 years old, and I had her out at a training day was weekend and gave her a go. Although not jumping her full height, at 15 years of age she is still doing the full size scramble and dog walk, a full set of weaves and, although her body is not going at the speed she thinks it is, she did not pull up at all sore. Keep in mind that Rabbit is a 600 dog, who only just gets into that height category, and when she first started her career, she was jumping 760. She would be similar build to the labrador you are discussing.

Some of our other dogs have retired younger.

I would certainly consider at least getting her back to training - if she is enjoying it then continue. At the very least you can get your own skills working again to use with a new puppy. At the best, you will have a dog you can enjoy and compete with successfully for a few years to come.

cheers,

I'd be looking at doing something else with her. I'd say most of the older dogs that are competing have been training and competing pretty much all the time - hence they are in a pretty fit condition and able to keep going, for example my girl is 10 - but is a light framed BC, and gets regular vet and chiro checks.

With your girl, I would be thinking of trying to get into Rally O - plenty of brain work, but much less stress on the body. My experience is that the dogs and handlers really enjoy the sport, and my agility girl (sho doesn't "do" obedience :laugh: ) really enjoys it.

ETA - and what CFS says about getting into a bit of training with her, for yourself and to polish some foundation stuff for the new pup ( :) ) is a great idea .

Edited by Tassie

Hi gusgem, I went through a similar dilemma recently with my 9 year old Rotti, Dyzney (her birthday today).

We stopped doing agility nearly 6 years ago and just got back into it again a few of months ago. We left with 4 passes in Excellent Jumping and just got our final title pass a couple of weeks ago.

Dyzney is loving agility again.

See thread if you like http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/231486-agility-question/

I say if you want to, go for it. :)

Edited by dyzney

Oh awesome! Thanks do much for your replies... I think I will definitely have to pull out all the training stuff & get back into it with her. I don't know if I am ready for a pup just at the moment... Maybe later in the year. I appreciate your advice :)

Hi Vickie! Yes, 3 kids later and i feel like getting back into doggy stuff. Maple still does the odd "trick" before dinner and hopefully after a bit of training she'll be keen! Am hopefully heading out to a trial next weekend at hawkesbury to catch up with Maggie etc, might see you there :)

I'd say if you have access to NADAC trials then definitely get her back in to it, I started my old girl when she was almost 11 years old (I adopted her as a 9 year old so couldn't start her when she was young as I didn't have her!!). NADAC have a vetrans division which is great as they get lower jump heights and more time yet still get to have all the fun.

I'm not sure that it runs in NSW, but maybe you could get it started up there for all the oldies!!!

Hi Vickie! Yes, 3 kids later and i feel like getting back into doggy stuff. Maple still does the odd "trick" before dinner and hopefully after a bit of training she'll be keen! Am hopefully heading out to a trial next weekend at hawkesbury to catch up with Maggie etc, might see you there :)

My memory is obviously not quite a clear as Vickie's although I am sure i remember a "Maple" in the distant past! If I am not busy (judging) make sure you come up and jog my memory by reintroducing yourself!

Cheers,

I'd say if you have access to NADAC trials then definitely get her back in to it, I started my old girl when she was almost 11 years old (I adopted her as a 9 year old so couldn't start her when she was young as I didn't have her!!). NADAC have a vetrans division which is great as they get lower jump heights and more time yet still get to have all the fun.

I'm not sure that it runs in NSW, but maybe you could get it started up there for all the oldies!!!

Yes ADAC agility runs in NSW :)

http://www.adacagility.com/

My memory is obviously not quite a clear as Vickie's although I am sure i remember a "Maple" in the distant past! If I am not busy (judging) make sure you come up and jog my memory by reintroducing yourself!

Cheers,

Will do Le! :)

Yes ADAC agility runs in NSW :)

http://www.adacagility.com/

NADAC could be good to get back into the swing of things!

Yeah I was quite shocked! I thought I would have to work on those the most. She seemed to really enjoy the training we did this afternoon, so I might keep at it with her and see how she goes while I think about a pup...