Whelping Boxes - Design Your Own Fibreglass

SwaY

I have the opportunity to design a FIBREGLASS Whelping Box and I am interested in what people would like in a FIBREGLASS whelping box, now is your chance to give me ideas....

What would you like in a FIBREGLASS Whelping Box

Size

Height

Finish

Colour

Texture bottom, smooth sides

Pig rails - different heights

Heated

Drop in door or hinged door

Price range

What else would you like to add or change??

for the large breeds I would like extra height, my sides are 600 mm. Does make it easier to keep warm in winter, but the reverse is true as well. I woudn't pay for heating, easy enough to have your own. Colour choice would be nice but not essential. Yes a textured floor and maybe a little way up the sides. I have a hinged door but either would be fine. I also didn't use pig rails but holes in a couple of different heights would be handy for those who want them, you could shove a broom handle or similar through. A plug in the bottom for ease of washing it out. A couple of brackets or similar so you could attach lights, heating etc easily. Might be a bit fiddley to make though. Could you make one without a bottom? Could you make just sides and a bottom if wanted that could be easily fitted together then taken apart for storing? For large breeds the storing is such a pain.

I have the opportunity to design a FIBREGLASS Whelping Box and I am interested in what people would like in a FIBREGLASS whelping box, now is your chance to give me ideas....

What would you like in a FIBREGLASS Whelping Box

Size

Height

Finish

Colour

Texture bottom, smooth sides

Pig rails - different heights

Heated

Drop in door or hinged door

Price range

What else would you like to add or change??

I was all set to get a Fibre glass box but my hubby wanted a box that could be broke in two, for storage, I realise this may be a cleaning problem. any ideas

I have a fibreglass one - easy to clean & really lightweight bit really tough too. Would like higher walls but mum still needs to get in & out do not too high. . Different holes for the rails would be good though.

How high would you like the walls?

Another thought is a door that slots in, in two sections on top of each other.

So you would slot one door in but mum can still get out easy, then you could slot the next door in on top to make the door the height of the walls.

For the Chi litter I had, I used a cardboard box with a lip cut in the front.

The size of the box was 60cm wide by 35-40 wide. It was about 25cm tall and I cut a lip in the front of the box (so mum could move in and out) which was about 10cm tall that was later removed completely to let the pups move in and out of the box.

I heard recently of a puppy whose head was stuck for about 20 minutes in a hole that was for rails. I think a cover for the hole if not used would be good

Must have been a big hole, most holes are only 20c piece size if not smaller.

I like a super large one, which of course brings issues with storage, breaking it dragging from shed to house and with height of the sides I'd like...even doorway width would be an issue.

I'd prefer smooth for ease of disinfecting.

A bi-fold door would be good for bitch & then later puppy access.

heating is more an issue for us than cooling, high reinforced sides (reinforced for us as we sit in the box (leaning / slumping against the wall for support !!) and for the size / weight of our breed)

I'm thinking around 80cm in height, which should fit sideways through most doors.

160cm X 120cm length & width would be ideal for me.

No holes or pig rails - we don't use them.

a shame a huge box couln't be made in two parts ? you could have a molded alloy joining area ?

a drain plug for cleaning, solid or curved outward like a hydrobath edges / top to discourage chewing.

perhaps the drain plug could also double / be wide enough to allow an electrical plug through for a heat pad ?

just some rambling thoughts.

The problem with a fibreglass whelping box in parts is that it weakens the unit, plus any joins etc leave areas for bacteria etc.

Yeah, I know, its a shame because wrestling the big boxes is quite an event :laugh: :eek:

and storage is a bugger too.

fifi

The problem with a fibreglass whelping box in parts is that it weakens the unit, plus any joins etc leave areas for bacteria etc.

Yeah, I know, its a shame because wrestling the big boxes is quite an event :laugh: :eek:

and storage is a bugger too.

fifi

I buy a new one for each litter as I only use four pieces of melamine and it costs $90 from Bunnings already pre cut.

I bin it after I have finished with it.