Teeth And Wart On Eye Removed

Hi All

Will try and make a long story short. Last Thursday my 12 year old boy was showing signs of discomfort when you went to touch his muzzle. Friday morning he would not pick up his ball and as that's never happened in 12 years, it was straight to the vets.

He had to be anaesthetised so the vet could look and as a result two upper front incisors were removed. Given he was going to be put under, at the same time I asked them to remove a wart that was growing on his eyelid ( they cauterised it). He also suffers from severe arthritis and has the beginning stages of degenerative myelopathy and given his age the anaesthetic obviously knocked him around.

Saturday he appeared very battered and bruised and he was given additional pain relief. Eye was a bit weepy and he spent a lot of the day sleeping but did eat. Yesterday the eye started looking quite inflamed, rang vet out of hours and they told me to bath it in warm water. By late last night the eye was really inflamed, third eyelid across to the iris, swollen and below the eye in the cheek/jowls swollen with fluid and green muck accumulating in the corner. During this period he would eat and take food from my hand.

This morning straight back to the vets, he yelped when vet tried to open his jaw and is reluctant to take food from my hand. Vet tells me she doesn't think this is related to the wart being removed on Friday and this is now a separate issue. His temp was fine when checked today, but he does have enlarged lymph node under the jaw on the same side as the eye. Vet gave him a shot of antibiotics to back up the dose already being given in pill form, plus cream for his eye.

Vet wants to see how he is tomorrow, then if no improvement knock him out again to X-ray. Given how much the last one knocked him around, I'm very reluctant to do this so soon after the last one..

Firstly, is anyone else as doubtful as me that this chain of events is not related? Anyone who has had their dogs teeth pulled, how long before they were happy to fully have their mouths handled and eat freely? And anyone who's dogs have had eye infections, what were the symptoms and was there swelling below in the cheeks and did it affect the jaw as well? I also asked if the X-ray became a necessity could I hold him instead of being subjected to yet another anaesthetic in less than a week. Was told its not possible when it comes to doing X-rays of the jaw/face, but he is old and I know he will do as I ask and it will be a lot less stressful on him, not to mention the safety with giving a relatively old large breed dog two anaesthetics in a week.

Any advice/comments welcome.....I'm worried sick about my old boy. Normally he takes things in his stride with barely a backward glance, but it has scared me how much this has flattened him.

Hi Shepherds, I am not sure if I can be of any great help, but my dog (6 years) had two teeth removed two weeks ago and recovered really well. I did notice she had watery eyes and it was quite smelly, Vet just suggested warm salty water to bathe them.

I think if I was you with a 12 yo dog I would also be reluctant to undergo another anaesthetic in such a short time.

The fact that your boy is not taking food, there is swelling and the eye is closing......sheesh I would take him back tomorrow if there is no great improvement overnight BUT would insist on them trying the XRay with you holding him....maybe take someone else with you to help hold him. I would also want to delay the Anaesthetic for a few more days if not longer as long as he is not getting worse.

Sorry this is a bit of a ramble.....but I do feel for you and wish you and your dog the Best for a speedy recovery.

No, the eye should not look like that. Eyelid surgery can cause the eyelid to be puffy for a few days, but the discharge and mess you've described is not normal. Why do they want to do an x-ray? It sounds like an infection of some sort. Did they suture it? If so, there could be a suture rubbing on the cornea. What cream did they give you? Do you have any photos?

I have had two fosters have MAJOR dental work (rotten, infected teeth resulting in most of them being removed) and they were eating normally quite quickly. From memory, they were even eating chicken necks within a week.

If it were me, I would be going to a different vet for a 2nd opinion.

No, the eye should not look like that. Eyelid surgery can cause the eyelid to be puffy for a few days, but the discharge and mess you've described is not normal. Why do they want to do an x-ray? It sounds like an infection of some sort. Did they suture it? If so, there could be a suture rubbing on the cornea. What cream did they give you? Do you have any photos?

I have had two fosters have MAJOR dental work (rotten, infected teeth resulting in most of them being removed) and they were eating normally quite quickly. From memory, they were even eating chicken necks within a week.

If it were me, I would be going to a different vet for a 2nd opinion.

Hi take two...No they didn't suture it. I personally think the eye is infected as a result of whatever they did last Friday when cauterising the wart and not a separate issue as they said today. They are talking X-ray to see if there is any other problem that was missed when they removed the two incisors and why the jaw now appears to be sore and what is causing the eye issue if it hasnt improved by tomorrow and caused by a separate problem (tumor). I have taken photo but given how swollen the eye is it does not show up clearly how red the eye is and how far across the third eyelid is.. The cream given to him today is Tricin which I understand is antibacterial.

I'm not happy and I think you could be right with that 2nd opinion .

I have a dog who had 15 teeth out recently, the incisors are a major thing on their own. Most dogs recover pretty quickly but with older dogs it takes longer.

With this boy, he was sore around the mouth and couldn't eat anything hard for 2 weeks - he just refused to eat biscuits - he couldn't eat them when he arrived but now he's eating them happily. I'd say he took longer than any other dog with his mouth being sore and I regularly take on older dogs with lots of teeth being taken out.

I'd recommend getting a second opinion if you are worried about his eye. The anaesthetic really knocks them around and he's sore in several places, it could explain some of it but his eye isn't getting better and it should be.

Best of luck, please keep us posted.

Definitely doesn't sound right. :-( Could they have missed a tooth abscess? Far enough back and right up in the root you can get goopy eye, swelling etc.

I swear there's some kind of protocol for xrays that mean you might not be able to stay with him? :o There's a few vets on Dol so they will know. But in any case, just a light sedation would keep him still for a few minutes and be quite safe.

I have a dog who had 15 teeth out recently, the incisors are a major thing on their own. Most dogs recover pretty quickly but with older dogs it takes longer.

With this boy, he was sore around the mouth and couldn't eat anything hard for 2 weeks - he just refused to eat biscuits - he couldn't eat them when he arrived but now he's eating them happily. I'd say he took longer than any other dog with his mouth being sore and I regularly take on older dogs with lots of teeth being taken out.

I'd recommend getting a second opinion if you are worried about his eye. The anaesthetic really knocks them around and he's sore in several places, it could explain some of it but his eye isn't getting better and it should be.

Best of luck, please keep us posted.

Thanks Dogmad.....that makes me feel a bit better - at least about his mouth. I've had other dogs with molars out and they have coped far better than this boy with the incisors . He will at least let me touch the side of his muzzle now which is better than Friday when he wouldn't let anyone near his mouth.

Well although still very red and the third eye lid across part of his eye, it looks better this morning. Swelling is going down and not quite so weepy and gunky. Will talk to the vets again today - if it is an eye infection - how long for it to clear up?

Am taking another day off work so I can keep bathing it regularly through out the day and will see how he goes with food today. He did eat last night and is getting plenty of fluids. And thanks Powerlegs, in the event the worst has to happen with X-ray, will do some foot stamping and insist on the bare minimum - a pre anaesthetic needle at the most.

Our oldies are extra special and just a huge worry when vet stuff has to happen.

Head and teeth x-rays are difficult and correct positioning for them requires funny poisitions which really requires the dog to be anaesthetised rather than held.

Thanks for the info Lyndsay .

Well although still very red and the third eye lid across part of his eye, it looks better this morning. Swelling is going down and not quite so weepy and gunky. Will talk to the vets again today - if it is an eye infection - how long for it to clear up?

Am taking another day off work so I can keep bathing it regularly through out the day and will see how he goes with food today. He did eat last night and is getting plenty of fluids. And thanks Powerlegs, in the event the worst has to happen with X-ray, will do some foot stamping and insist on the bare minimum - a pre anaesthetic needle at the most.

Our oldies are extra special and just a huge worry when vet stuff has to happen.

Just read through this thread - sounds like a nightmare for you, I'm so glad he's looking better!

In my experience eye infections take just a day or two to start clearing up. With some cream to put on the eyeball a couple of times a day, you should see an improvement very quickly. I'm not a vet or anything, but my dog had conjunctivitis a couple of months ago and it was gone in no time with the ointment.

Hi all. Well he is definitely brighter in himself (back to climbing on the couch and coming around the paddock for a little walk). While the swelling continues to go down (almost disappeared along with the fluid below the eye) and there is hardly any gunk coming out of it now - the third eyelid still remains across part of his eye though and still quite red/inflamed in the corner.

I took him back to the vets last night as he also has slightly enlarged lymph nodes directly below his jaw. Vet checked all other lymph nodes and they are fine, so just localized swelling of them. They have doubled the antibiotics and I have to ring again tomorrow just to give a status update. He's also eating soft food quite easily, although doesn't really like it if you get to close to the front of his mouth.

I'm still worried about the third eyelid -does anyone have any experience of severe eye infection and will the lid retract as the eye continues to heal? Vet did not have any satisfactory answers for me as to what they think occurred and what is happening....... It's very much a let's wait and see what happens approach.....one I don't cope with well when it comes to the health of my animals.

The third eyelid up indicates infection, irritation, pain etc. Something is not right with that eye. Did the vet pull the third eyelid down and check the cornea? Can you see the cornea?

That third eyelid should go back into place once the inflammation is under control. I've never heard of them staying visible long after things have resolved.

....I was thinking, is there a chance that he's rubbed his face too hard after surgery and scratched the cornea? Vets have a flouro dye that shows up abrasions of the eye, did they try that just to rule it out?

He will be fine given time, vet care and TLC :) you're just a worried dog-mum and I don't blame you. :heart: It's hard to see them sad.