Help Me With A Question

kja

Commenting on photos  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you choose to comment on a photo?

• I know/like the person posting the photo
    • I like the subject
    • I like the photo itself - think it's well done
    • Not many have commented and I feel bad for the OP
    • I have a similar photo/subject/story/experience that I want to share
  2. 2. Why do you choose NOT to comment on a photo

• I like looking but don't want to take the time
    • I don't really care about the photos, was just curious about the thread
    • I don't feel I have anything worthwhile to say
    • I look at the photos but usually don't think they are worth me commenting
    • I don't really like the person who posted the photos

DOL has a fairly active photo section and there is a nice variety of people who comment on photos some days. I'm a mod on another forum and the comments have really dropped off so I'd like to ask DOLer a couple of questions to see if I can't encourage more of a community feeling like we have here (and if more ppl here start to comment, that's even better!)

Q1 you can have multiple answers - if you can, please leave a comment about what you think your TOP answer is, too.

Q2 please just choose the one that best applies most often in your opinion.

Any other factors you think about please leave in the comment section :)

Really appreciate it!

I comment if I like the photo, subject etc

But don't comment often as I am very much a novice and don't really have anything constructive to add apart from the usual, cute or lovely...

I am learning and wish I was more confident and able to offer more...I guess it just takes time...

I totally agree with you, Snook, I wouldn't critique anyones image unless requested, but my inner photographer can't help it sometimes (but I think it, I don't type it!).

I hate unsolicited critiquing :o I get it every now and then on Flickr ( generally about blown out skies or my use of dirty b&ws).

Edited by huga

Awesome insight so far, guys.

What I'm hoping to encourage is more interaction and more support. Just in a sharing kind of way - critique and technique comments are for other threads where a poster has asked for those types of comments. The threads I'm concerned about with this little project are those where people are just sharing part of their lives.

so it's interesting so see so many add "I don't have anything to say" or "I don't really like the photo so say nothing" as a reason - whether it's because they don't feel they have enough photographic knowledge/prowess to contribute constructively or because they really don't think the photo is worthy and don't want to offer unsolicited advice. I'm trying to figure out how to help people realise that those "wow, what a great experience" or "thanks for sharing" or "fun day out" etc comments are valuable to the person posting and get more action happening.

If that makes sense - it does in my head LOL

I know I love to hear that people actually enjoyed - for whatever reason - seeing a photo I've taken. I don't need smoke blown up my skirt or criticism on what I could have done better unless I've stated it specifically in the post. I just appreciate the acknowledgment that I took the time to share something I thought was pretty/interesting/intriguing/fun/funny etc. and I'm hearing that this is what most people want, too.

@Monet - that's a good point. Viewing on a device that makes it tough to comment easily & quickly.

Snook and Huga (and anyone else), please feel free to critique my pics! I'm here to learn, and there are so many far more experienced (and talented) photographers here. Any feedback, good or bad, is very much appreciated :)

It was lovely to read that no-one has said they don't comment because they don't like the person. Just shows what a nice bunch we are here in the Photos Photos Photos section :D .

I totally agree with you, Snook, I wouldn't critique anyones image unless requested, but my inner photographer can't help it sometimes (but I think it, I don't type it!).

I hate unsolicited critiquing :o I get it every now and then on Flickr ( generally about blown out skies or my use of dirty b&ws).

Huga, completely OT, but what is a "dirty" b&w?

Snook and Huga (and anyone else), please feel free to critique my pics! I'm here to learn, and there are so many far more experienced (and talented) photographers here. Any feedback, good or bad, is very much appreciated :)

It was lovely to read that no-one has said they don't comment because they don't like the person. Just shows what a nice bunch we are here in the Photos Photos Photos section :D .

Ditto for my stuff...

How do we learn if not for constructive criticism...

My B&Ws ;)

:p

They tend to be 'muddier' tones rather than the cleaner black and white. Mine are a bit warmer too, although I have an immense dislike of sepia.

My usual b&w:

6933518404_5a41e3fe45_z.jpg

A more traditional b&w:

bwclean1336110794.jpg

Ditto for my stuff...

How do we learn if not for constructive criticism...

If it is requested - then no worries :) I just don't like it when someone is showing some pics, just because, and someone barges in and starts pulling it apart.

I like looking at everyone's photos but don't get on here all that often anymore, but hey I'm more of a stalker than anything!

I do really wish I'd started the photo challenge this year (and every other year!) You guys are passionate about your photography and your dogs and thats what matters to me.

Huga I love your 'dirty' b&w to me it's your own style.

I love looking at everyones photo's sometimes a snapshot can say som much about that " moment " it is amazing. Im not a photogrpher i have no idea whether the pics are quality or not etc so i feel im not qualified ( for want of a better term ) to comment. Sometime i just want to step out of my life for a few moments and the photo thread dose this for me.

Guest Tess32

I think I'm the same as Huga. Not really on DOL, but sometimes I'm on other forums and people post 'awesome shot!!!" etc and I think it's not very good and have to bite my lip a lot..

Sometime i just want to step out of my life for a few moments and the photo thread dose this for me.

Almost everyone I know who has ever posted a photo to share would love to hear this.

Sharing photos just for the joy of sharing - appreciating photos just for the joy of viewing them or acknowledging that the person sharing had this moment.

I'd love to be able to help people realise that saying "awesome" or "I enjoyed looking" or anything just simple IS valuable - you don't have to know squat about photography to let someone know you appreciate the image and/or the time/effort it took to create & share it.

I don't know why so many photographers feel this great need to offer critique or are seemingly only able to view a photograph on it's supposed quality or technical skill. I think every person with camera goes through this. I know I did but now I don't and it feels awesome!

Edited by kja

Hence why it would have been really handy if we had 'like' buttons! :)

I'm only quite new to the photography scene and haven't really been doing much in the post editing other than basic cropping, sharpening etc... I've been playing on Lightroom all day today and having a blast!

I'm more than happy for more experienced photographers to give critique, but I agree that the person has to ask for it! I often will throw in a photo that I don't think is spectacular, but I like it anyway! :)

I'll post more frequently for critiquing... be kind! I'm just a newb! LOL

MnDM

I don't think anyone really wants to hear that a photo they have taken and shared it crap... But constructive input is really good..

I guess something like the suggestions Tess made in the zoo animals thread on my stuff. I really appreciated the input and went and got Lightroom so I can learn how to use it to improve my images.

I also appreciate input on how to do things, like changing the angle a picture is taken or lens advice.. There is so much information that is shared by those that do know what they are doing and I for one just can't get enough of it.

I know I will probably never be good enough to sell my images or charge a fee for taking pictures but that is not why I do it. But I also do want to be good at it...

I really enjoy seeing all pictures from the lovely ones that the professionals share with us to the ones that are taken in backyards with the family point and shoot cameras...

It has been a long time since I hung out in the photo section as life and stuff just got in the way of my camera time.

Since Dan and Ollie died last year, I have realises that life is just way to short and we really need to take time out to do things that we love.

Rescuing dogs has also given me a reason to pull the camera out and use it more.. You can never have to many great photos of your rescue dogs so they get seen everywhere, then rehomed and you can save another...