Obedience Trials

I am thinking of putting Bindi in her first Obedience & Rally-O Trial, but am confused as to what the symbols mean on the gazette. Obviously Novice R0 is "RN". but what does RN (A&B) mean. Also what would I enter her in for Obedience as a Novice & what does she need to know to compete in it. Sorry to sound like a areal dim-wit, but I have to start somewhere :)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sheena - sounds like there may be 2 Novice Rally rings? So two opportunities to get a Q. Like Novice Jumping A and B perhaps? If unsure, I would contact the trial secretary.

ETA: You can enter her in CCD or CD aka Novice. Put simply, the former is on lead heeling and easier everything else...have a look at the rules here: http://www.ankc.org.au/Rules.aspx

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Sheena, your options for obedience are CCD (Community Companion Dog) or CD (Companion Dog = Novice.)

First thing you need to do is download and read the rules from ANKC - go to the About tab pull down the menu and right at thebottom you'll find Rule - click on that and you'll see the various disciplines - go to Obedience for that, and Rally Obedience for the Rally O.

In Rally O, you'd be entering Novice (on lead) - and as your first trial, guess it would be Rally Novice A (i.e. no Qs yet) - we only do the A and B thing here for the higher Rally classes.

If in doubt, check with the instructors at your club, or contact the trial secretary.

Hope that helps.

I am thinking of putting Bindi in her first Obedience & Rally-O Trial, but am confused as to what the symbols mean on the gazette. Obviously Novice R0 is "RN". but what does RN (A&B) mean. Also what would I enter her in for Obedience as a Novice & what does she need to know to compete in it. Sorry to sound like a areal dim-wit, but I have to start somewhere :)

A good idea is to go along to an Obedience trial and watch what they do. I've trialled before but still went along to a trial the other day with my dog just to get used to the atmosphere (Indi's never trialled before) - not only good for myself but also my dog. You could also have a look on You Tube - there's plenty of vid's (look for an Australian one) where people have put up their CCD & CD trials :)

Edited by gsdog2

Thanks guys ....It is a 3 day Obedience & Rally O trial & I am entering her in the Rally-O. So just looking for what else I could put her in to make the trip worthwhile :) She is quite used to trials because she does agility, so no problem there. She will do most of those things, but I guess I should work on training her to obey without using my voice...is that right...I can't talk to her except in RO.???

I haven't obedience trailed (yet) but AFAIK you can give verbal commands to you dog. Single command, in English.

You're either going to be in the CCD or CD ring and when the judge asks you to halt your dog needs to automatically sit (without a 'sit' command). Otherwise you can use hand and voice commands :)

Edited by gsdog2

There is no way I'd enter an obedience trial without ever seeing one before! There are a lot of intricacies and it's important to be respectful of others and their time etc. Don't want to sound harsh but I would skip the obedience trial this time and just watch so you are prepared next time :)

Oh yeah. I didn't mention the automatic sit! And I assumed hand signals were a given. :)

I've done some practice ring work and will do more before I enter a trial later this year.

There is no way I'd enter an obedience trial without ever seeing one before! There are a lot of intricacies and it's important to be respectful of others and their time etc. Don't want to sound harsh but I would skip the obedience trial this time and just watch so you are prepared next time :)

I understand where you are coming from :) but we all have to start somewhere. She has done the training & I have 6 to 7 weeks to polish it up, but just wasn't sure which events she could enter as a novice. I have watched obedience trials in between doing agility runs, but haven't taken a lot of notice as to what particular event it was that I was watching. To be quite honest, I don't find obedience a real great "spectator" sport :) I've had a read of the rules, & I will get someone from the club to run through it with me.

Oh yeah. I didn't mention the automatic sit! And I assumed hand signals were a given. :)

I've done some practice ring work and will do more before I enter a trial later this year.

oh yea the auto SIT is vital :D

Hey Luke if you want to do some trial training, call me :D

I suppose what I was getting at was when you get to UD isn't it hand signals only in the heel exercise? - I'll only dream of getting a dog to UD :laugh:

Hi

I think there was a typo in one of the schedules published in which Rally O Novice A & B were offered. There is no A & B in Rally O Novice in Australia but I believe the Club in question is holding 3 Obedience & 3 Rally O Trials over the weekend so plenty of opportunities to achieve some qualifying scores.

Hi

I think there was a typo in one of the schedules published in which Rally O Novice A & B were offered. There is no A & B in Rally O Novice in Australia but I believe the Club in question is holding 3 Obedience & 3 Rally O Trials over the weekend so plenty of opportunities to achieve some qualifying scores.

And I would think agility's the same in that you need 3 passes under 2 different judges. Also don't forget to practice the stays, in a trial there's a 3 dog minimum.

When CCD was 1st offered, my club's chief instructor didn't think it was the thing to do, to put a new dog through CCD when you were an experienced trialer with many years experience, & just go straight to Novice. She was surprised to see some of those experienced trialers do just that & do CCD first.

Edited by luvsdogs

Most of the experienced triallers here are skipping CCD, but IMO it just depends on the dog. The leash generally helps the handler's nerves at least :)

So for an inexperienced trialer, like me :) out of CD & CCD, would I be better off in CCD & if so, why is that??

Most of the experienced triallers here are skipping CCD, but IMO it just depends on the dog. The leash generally helps the handler's nerves at least :)

So for an inexperienced trialer, like me :) out of CD & CCD, would I be better off in CCD & if so, why is that??

I did CCD and found it a good confidence builder for both my dog and me. If you are nervous about having your dog off leash with potentially a lot of distractions (people and kids right outside the ring, dogs fetching dumbells only a few metres away, etc) then I would do CCD. In CCD if your dog gets really distracted the leash will go tight and you'll lose points, but the leash will generally bring them back. In Novice that doesn't happen :p

I did one CCD trial to test the waters - dog passed well so I moved her into Novice from then on.

ETA. I hate having a leash so really didn't want to do CCD at all.

Edited by ness