Adult Dog Weeing Inside

I have a 3 year old male desexed dog who has decided to start weeing inside- he has been toilet trained for a long time. It has happened about 5 times and I have not been able to ‘catch’ him in the act to growl at him. He is doing it in the kitchen area. It was in one spot, but today he has moved to another spot. I have been cleaning it with vinegar thoroughly. He has constant access inside/outside, so can go to the toilet when he pleases. He was doing it at night, so he is now crated at night and taken out to the toilet before bed- I thought this had worked until today. I am a uni student and work part-time so I can’t crate him all day and it is far too cold outside now- he has very little hair. My Nanna is home most of the time, however does not ‘watch’ him as closely as I do.

So looking to DOL for some guidance- what could/should I do. It isn’t a big problem yet, but I know it could increase quickly and do not want an adult dog that always wees inside. Any ideas? Also tips on what I should wash the floor with to deter him even further?

I should mention it has been 5 times over a course of approximately 3 months.

Maybe he has some kind of urine infection?Is it possible to only allow him access to a small part of the house when you are not there. Where is the doggy door?

This was my first thought, it seems strange for an adult dog to lose their toilet training all of a sudden? I would be taking him to the vet for a check up first and go from there.

If everything on the health front is ok, you may need to just retrain him, take him out as often as possible when you're there, and when you aren't home have him crated. Could your Nanna let him out of the crate every hour for a toilet break?

My boy started doing this a while back and it turned out he had a health issue which meant it hurt him to go in and out the doggy door. So he figured he'd just do it inside instead. I had to retrain him to 'ask' to go out the back door instead.

I would firstly get a vet check for health issues. If all is ok then I would go right back to basics. Treat him like a puppy and take him out regularly. Every time he goes in the right spot (which is outside) provide him with a treat and praise the hell out of him.

I think just like other behaviours get sloppy when we don't reward them every once in a while, toilet training can do this as well.

Guest lavendergirl

I would love to know the answer to this also as I have a 3 year old dog who does the same thing - he also has access to outside. I haven't been able to catch him "in the act" as yet - I think that is the only way to deter them. He only does it in the morning when I am in a different part of the house and I have come to the conclusion that it is just a bit too cool to go outside :) Later in the day when it is warmer he goes outside to pee. I think vinegar is the best cleaner to use. Can you block off the kitchen area at all?

My youngest westie who I think is about 6 occasionally wees inside when its been raining, is cold outside and the grass is wet - poor boy doesn't like to get his feet wet! (He grew up on concrete in a puppy farm so I'm not too cross with him). Could it be something like that?

If he's got little hair and it's cold, have you put a coat on him?

I rescue and own Italian Greyhounds and they don't like going out when it's wet or very cold but are more comfy with a coat.

Also, a female terrier I had a few years ago who was housetrained, suddenly started weeing inside and it was due to a bladder infection.

Def. need to get a vet check done if it's a change from normal behaviour and you haven't had another animal come into the house and urinate.

Thanks for all the advice, I might take him to the vet and get that checked over, we haven't had any other dogs here and the behaviour has def sprung up out of anywhere. He does wear a coat, he has a 'wardrobe' lol, so when it is cold he def has it on.

How can the vet check for a urine infection? I am not too keen on trying to get the wee myself, is that necessary?

Yes, you need a sample,and it needs to be fresh.

Wait till he starts to go, then slide a big flat container under him, before he realise's you will have got enough. :)

Off to the Vets tonight to get checked for a urine infection- fingers crossed this is what it is as we had another incident last night. So for those whose dog began this behaviour due to an infection, did it just stop once the infection was addressed?

Off to the Vets tonight to get checked for a urine infection- fingers crossed this is what it is as we had another incident last night. So for those whose dog began this behaviour due to an infection, did it just stop once the infection was addressed?

Yes - once mine had been on antibiotics for a few days. Started up again after a couple of years but it was dementia then ...