American Johnson Bulldog

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They may have their own independent registry which provides pedigree papers?

I just asked and this is exactly what it is...

The pups are so cute... But don't even have their little eyes open yet.

She did say if someone ws not ready for this litter she will breed them again next time... I can a only assume that means next season but I hope not...

As far as I know this is a recognized breed but not in Australia.

Mistress Google tells me that the breed is recognized by the NKC, UKC, ABRA and the American Bulldog Association (ABA) and the SACBR (South Africa)

They are a magnificent dog.

Mistress Google tells me that the breed is recognized by the NKC, UKC, ABRA and the American Bulldog Association (ABA) and the SACBR (South Africa)

They are totally gorgeous... The puppies are so very cute...

I have googled them as well and found heaps of pics...

So none of the internationally recognised registries. Anyone can set up and call themselves a registry but if it is not recognised by the KC, AKC, ANKC and FCI, it doesn't mean anything.

there is an ad in our local paper for this breed. Advertiser is about 300k's away though. But they advertise them as being "Champion bloodlines" I am wondering how they can say that with honesty when the breed can't be shown in Aust.

Still someone will read it and believe it, mores the pity.

there is an ad in our local paper for this breed. Advertiser is about 300k's away though. But they advertise them as being "Champion bloodlines" I am wondering how they can say that with honesty when the breed can't be shown in Aust.

The breed is shown in Australia by the breed clubs, points are awarded by a combination of events.

The breed is shown in Australia by the breed clubs, points are awarded by a combination of events.

There you go, I wasn't even aware they had a breed club for these. Our breed club never awarded points and so until our breed was recognised by ANKC we couldn't have any champion titles and therefore no champion bloodlines.

So does anyone know where to find out about their breed council and their shows. I know someone that is looking at one of these pups with "Champion Bloodlines" but it all seems a bit fishy to me.

ETA: the more I search around about this the worse it seems. No requirements to register a kennel name with the breed council. "Just register the name when you have your first litter of pups" (Taken from the American Bulldog National Breed Council forum I just found) No code of ethics, no minimum age for breeding, no restrictions on consecutive litters.

Edited by yarracully

Just a quick question...

Are they recognized by ANKC?

TIA

There are reputable American Bulldog breeders around. ANKC isn't the be all and end all of purebred dogs. A purebred dog is a dog that breeds true to type. This is an example of a seemingly reputable American Bulldog breeder: http://www.oakparkbulldog.com/ . They are registered with the American Bulldog Registry Downunder (ABRD) and have even been awarded by the Master Dog Breeder's Association. If you want an American Bulldog, just try make sure they are health tested. One of the things I like about the American Bulldog is that many breeders trial for function, not just form.

ETA: My mistake, they were MDBA nominated, not awarded.

Edited by Blackdogs

There you go, I wasn't even aware they had a breed club for these. Our breed club never awarded points and so until our breed was recognised by ANKC we couldn't have any champion titles and therefore no champion bloodlines.

So does anyone know where to find out about their breed council and their shows. I know someone that is looking at one of these pups with "Champion Bloodlines" but it all seems a bit fishy to me.

ETA: the more I search around about this the worse it seems. No requirements to register a kennel name with the breed council. "Just register the name when you have your first litter of pups" (Taken from the American Bulldog National Breed Council forum I just found) No code of ethics, no minimum age for breeding, no restrictions on consecutive litters.

It may not be highly regulated, but that doesn't mean there are no ethical breeders.

It may not be highly regulated, but that doesn't mean there are no ethical breeders.

There may be ethical breeders within their ranks, however I am more concerned about the fact that no regulation or control leaves the way open for unethical breeders. It is usually the unethical ones that create the problems for the ethical breeders.

Also the fact you can just register your kennel when you register your first litter means they obviously arent too fussed about health issues or temperment or even breed purity.

It seems to me their "breed council" doesn't care about the parents until the litter is born. If they are truly concerned about their breed wouldn't they want to check up on the parents health etc before the breeding.

This sort of attitude by their breed council puts them on the same level as "designer dogs" such as the labradoodle as far as I am concerned. I find it difficult to be take them seriously.

It seems to me their "breed council" doesn't care about the parents until the litter is born. If they are truly concerned about their breed wouldn't they want to check up on the parents health etc before the breeding.

I agree that one would think ethical breeders research the health of parents before breeding, but what does our own ANKC do in regards to being concerned about parent health prior to litters being dropped (or for that matter, afterwards) ??

Genuine question.