Sigma Lens

gapvic

They are fabulous :)

I have the 30 1.4 and it's wonderful. I have the Sigma 17-70 macro and it's fabulous, too.

I had the 50-150 2.8 and it rocked. I have friends who have a whole range of Sigmas and to a one they are great lenses.

Excellent value for money, too.

ooo yeah, the big boys!

Excellent bang for buck. I got to use them while in Africa and they're good stuff. I even considered buying one to take instead of my Canon 100-400 L just for the extra reach.

Yes, doing lots of googling :laugh: . Was just hoping someone here would have personal experience.

I am just about to drop some cash on the 17-50 2.8 OS .

I borrowed both the tamron 2.8 equivalent and Sigma and was impressed with the both the quaility of pics. The reason why I am going Sigma evem though its more expensive is the Tamron AF was to noisy ( sigma is near silent )and didnt have IS. Also the tamron can have slight lens wobble in which some screws work themselves loose after some time. This Tamron had it and it was off putting.

I am also contemplating to combine it with the Sigma 30mm 1.4 prime as I can get a better deal for both. I have heard great things about the 30mm especaily if you have a crop frame camera.

Would 17-50 and a 30mm make a great combo?? I quite like the idea of 30mm for indoor pets and kids/parties and experimenting and the 17-50 as general walk around or outside pet and kids stuff.

I have a30mm sigma too, a good lens and sharp, the 50mm sigma is apparently better than the Canon version. I did some reading of some of the Sigma zooms on B&H Photo and Video, and they did not compare as well to the Canon lenses, but have not looked at the lens you mentioned. It is a great site to read the customer reviews on

Greg, you already have 30mm on the 17_70 so maybe a slightly longer prime would be useful? 85 or 100 mm

Hi Helen,

True, but its having the 1.4 ability of the 30mm to do some more creative open wide stuff thats appealing. I had contemplated the 85 but its too long for what I want to shoot at the moment which is mostly photojournalist stlye pics for my website or the kids being themselves indoors

My dilemma is finding a 2.8 wouldnt cut it for indoors and would end up buying this lens separately for $100 more later :confused:

I have a attached are a couple of pics taken on the Tamron ( on Canon 100D) which I why I am definately getting the 2.8 zoom. Sigma pics where same quality but these two captures where my favs.

Cheers

post-35177-0-92337400-1336527307_thumb.jpg

post-35177-0-14143600-1336527319_thumb.jpg

I'd get the 30 1.4 (in fact, I did) - it's a great lens for what you want to use it for and is a lovely complement to the zoom lens, imho.

Hi kja,

I really enjoy looking at your blog, can u point me in the direction of any particular pics of yours where the 30mm 1.4 was a much better option than say using the zoom. Am keen to see what type of possiblities this lens could offer me.

oh man, I don't know where any photos would be off the top of my head! And I'd rarely have any to compare between as I tend to simply choose the lens that I feel will give me the results I want for any given thing.

But I would say for sure when you are shooting inside with limited light - there is a tremendous difference between 2.8 and 1.4. And separating your sharp subject from a cluttered background - the 1.4 really helps here, too, even if you're stopped down a bit...again, 2.0 is way different than 2.8. And I love the feel a photo has when you're shooting and only have a prime - no zoom options. There's something about it that makes you get in the groove of the moment sometimes. You can do that with a zoom, of course, and I'd never give my zooms up, but with a prime your whole focus is more easily on the whole frame - especially if you're just starting to use primes (or using them again after a long time with zooms. I still find this to be true myself.) I don't know if that makes any sense but I know what I mean :)

The 30 is also so tiny - perfect for just having around or taking with you and being unobtrusive. This can be a big thing for other people - they see you shooting but something about the low profile helps them forget about you faster.

Don't know if you've looked at the Siggie 30 archive but it's probably got some great stuff in it :)

Edited by kja

oh man, I don't know where any photos would be off the top of my head! And I'd rarely have any to compare between as I tend to simply choose the lens that I feel will give me the results I want for any given thing.

But I would say for sure when you are shooting inside with limited light - there is a tremendous difference between 2.8 and 1.4. And separating your sharp subject from a cluttered background - the 1.4 really helps here, too, even if you're stopped down a bit...again, 2.0 is way different than 2.8. And I love the feel a photo has when you're shooting and only have a prime - no zoom options. There's something about it that makes you get in the groove of the moment sometimes. You can do that with a zoom, of course, and I'd never give my zooms up, but with a prime your whole focus is more easily on the whole frame - especially if you're just starting to use primes (or using them again after a long time with zooms. I still find this to be true myself.) I don't know if that makes any sense but I know what I mean :)

The 30 is also so tiny - perfect for just having around or taking with you and being unobtrusive. This can be a big thing for other people - they see you shooting but something about the low profile helps them forget about you faster.

Don't know if you've looked at the Siggie 30 archive but it's probably got some great stuff in it :)

Perfect explanation, thank you very muchly, I am very clear now on how having this combo would suit :thumbsup: and yes have had a look at tonne of groups , POTN, flickr etc but much prefer to get advice from a dog lovers perspective :D

Well considering that you want the lens for the wide apeture then the 30mm is great. Here are a few recent photos I have taken with the 30mm. The first photo I have th aperture at 1.8, and usually over 2, as I am not a huge fan of the out of focus nose, but will stop down occasionally

6780538527_933a1a068b.jpg

7001600948_bc184bf7c9.jpg

6911251412_987803c271.jpg

6905189403_2bc7a20e3f.jpg

7167038874_d1c1d4ed49.jpg

7044586271_15159d210a.jpg