Sigma Lens

gapvic

Argh, now I'm really confused :o .

Aside from lusting after a bigger lens, I also need a smaller one. I'm finding that the 50mm is a bit tricky when I'm trying to use it indoors in small spaces.

Having read the other thread about the Sigma 17-70mm, and now the 30mm talked about here, which one would be better? I already have the Nikkor 70-300mm, the Tokina wide angle 12-24mm, and the Tamron 90mm macro. And the Nikkor 50mm.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

30 1.4 if low light is an issue.

17-70 if you want flexibility.

Unfortunately, you have to choose a bit ;)

But why do you want something wider if you have the 12-24 - that should be plenty wide!

Maybe I just need to learn how to use the wide angle... My results so far have been ordinary. I've heard that it's not brilliant for photographing groups of people because of the distortion on the outsides of the frame?

@12mm you'll probably have distortion, but not so much at 24mm. Just be careful with your edges and making sure your camera is flat to the focus plane. For more tips maybe try google - seems there's tons of great videos that show things in action, so there's probably one for shooting groups with a wide lens, too!

LOL Greg - it's almost never-ending :)

Maybe I just need to learn how to use the wide angle... My results so far have been ordinary. I've heard that it's not brilliant for photographing groups of people because of the distortion on the outsides of the frame?

You'd get more distortion if you were up close to the group and had the lens wide open. some people use it to good effect though too.