Not Whelping-past Date

PomsNZ

Maiden Pom bitch.

First mating 16th march, so due date was 18th May

Last mating 20th march, so due date from then is 22nd May.

Ive never had a bitch go past by much(not this much) from her first date of mating.

Temp has dropped .5 this morn, but is still within normal range.(its not exactly the warmest day here either)

Shes still eating, pups still moving..

So real nesting, nothing to indicate labor is starting....

am i being over anxious and should *chill out*?

she has a vet appt for weds in case nothing has happened then, or should i get her in this arvo?

I had a GSD whelp 5 days late --- My vet thought that I was crazy as I took her in every day to be checked.

Has your vet checked her?

Is she stressed? (I know you are ) :)

Is she expecting a larger than normal litter?

If you are overly concerned have an ultra sound done, just for your peace of mind.

A lot depends on breed. Some breeds will mate before ovulation and therefore seem to whelp late. Others never whelp until after ovulation so go a few days early from the matings. My breed is the latter and letting them go over 63 from mating usually results in dead puppies.

I would be getting a vet check and ultrasound to check the number and heartbeats and take it from there.

I've never had a bitch get to 63 days from mating, until the end of last year when both girls went 3 days past their last mating date + 63 days. They were happy enough so i was happy to wait with them

All our girls to date have had their pups at day 59 from first mating - until the last one recently in NZ - she kept me hanging until day 63. As hard as it is - chill out :) - they will come out when they are ready.

If however she is stressed or you know that something just isn't right then go to the vet and do what needs to be done. Live bitch & puppies outweighs anything else.

Good luck :).

Well good news she DID eventually go into labor, 63 days from last mating..,.

its now been 22 hours in first stage, have been vet checked and will be going in, in another 2 hours for c section as shes just not pushing..

She was scanned and pups heartbeats at the time were fine, they were coping ok, she was coping ok