Photographing People - Urgent.

Risyntira

I'm not a professional photographer, but would like some tips on photographing people? I have an Sony A55 SLR camera.

Most of my subjects are animals, and I feel I have an eye for them which shows their personalities in my photos.

I have been asked by my sister - in - law if I could do a shoot for her, it's just for fun and obviously I am not charging her, but would love for the photos of her to turn out wonderful.

Is there any tips you would share with me to capture that outstanding shot?

Edited by Risyntira

Practice and be ruthless with yourself when you look at the results - then aim to improve them on your next practice session.

Go to a park or the beach or the city or anywhere there are people and practice.

Know your camera and know how to cope with whatever the light/clutter/disposition/background/etc throws at you.

If you're asking yourself (or others) how to get the right exposure or "that blurry background" you're not ready to do a "shoot" - but that doesn't mean you can't go, take some fun & lovely photos and enjoy the day.

Thanks for the link. Thats awesome.

I guess it's more nerves and my expectations are VERY high!

I want these to be special for her. We both know what she wants, I think I need confidence in myself to tell her what to do and how to pose and what to move to make the photo perfect. I'm quite a shy person and I hate to sound bossy towards her. LOL

I know how to blur backgrounds and how to use my camera. I just want everything to be perfect and the threat of rain tomorrow has added more pressure.

Thanks.

Cloud cover is great! No harsh light and squinty eyes. What lens are you planning on using? Have you checked out the location? Posing can be tough and really, practice is the key. As a rule, I rarely photograph women front on or from a lower angle. Have her looking slightly up at you. Bend the parts that bend. It is your job to direct her and help her relax, she will feel awkward and that will show. Focus on her eyes.

Awww thanks guys.

I have the kit lens I brought with my Sony A230, which is the DT 4-5.6/55-200 SAM and the 3.5-5.6/18-55 SAM very basic equipment but suited my needs for 5 years ;)

Her location will be in her mum's backyard, they are on 3/4 acre I believe with lush green grass and beautiul gardens, I haven't been there before. Tomorrow will be the first time.

She's a retro chick with awesome tats which she wants to show off on her boyfriends motorbike as well as 'play' dress ups in her 50's dresses with her fire red hair and hot red lips! She is a beautiful girl, I've know her since she was six. hehe

I've downloaded the PDF of those poses on the photo forum persephone, posted. I will show her on my phone tomorrow and hopefully try some of them out!

:D

LOVE the "bathing suit beauty" look of these :) !!! :thumbsup: no idea of technical stuff to help you :o

The one I prefer is the middle one ...and all I noticed was that little diagonal stick near her L hand

:o and please tell me I'm reading wrong, and her ink does not have an apostrophe in " Its "

Edited by persephone