Pin Brushes

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this topic has been done to death :o I couldn't find any info regarding it.

I am in the market for a new 27mm oval pin brush & had my eye on a CC Groom Grip with brass pins. Was wondering what all you folk's have found best for your double coated breed as far as pins go.

Having tried several others at around half the $$ of CC ones I am getting sick of the pins falling out, rusting & sinking into the cushion all the time. Thought if I pay the extra this hopefully wont happen :pray:

So if anyone has tried this brush or is using one & are wrapped with it on their double coated breed, I would really appreciate your recommendations regarding what brand & type work for you.

:thanks: in advance.

Edited by BC Crazy

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this topic has been done to death :o I couldn't find any info regarding it.

I am in the market for a new 27mm oval pin brush & had my eye on a CC Groom Grip with brass pins. Was wondering what all you folk's have found best for your double coated breed as far as pins go.

Having tried several others at around half the $$ of CC ones I am getting sick of the pins falling out, rusting & sinking into the cushion all the time. Thought if I pay the extra this hopefully wont happen :pray:

So if anyone has tried this brush or is using one & are wrapped with it on their double coated breed, I would really appreciate your recommendations regarding what brand & type work for you.

:thanks: in advance.

I have Collies (Rough) and whilst I have never used or purchased a CC one, and I do believe they are very good. I use the shorter pinned one of Plush Puppy, I amm happy with them. I have 2, one @ my grooming station & 1 in my trailer

Thanks for reply to my post Belinda. Have to look at those PP pins, they certainly are very reasonably priced. I love & use some of their products.

Anybody else's views please. :)

Edited by BC Crazy

I have collies (yes rough ones !) too and use the Plush puppy ones Belinda has, mine is quite a few years old and is still going strong. The cheap ones are just useless, I also find the PP ones much more comfortable in the hand too.

I was a little disappointed in my expensive CC brush. I look after things well and yet found the pins bent very easily.

I also have a PP metro brush which I use quite a bit.

Edited by ness

I'm glad it wasn't just me with the pins bending in the CC one, ness. :) I like it as a brush (BCs), but several of the pins bent fairly quickly. I now have a PP one - only had it for a few weeks, but seems OK.

laugh.gif Tassie I wasn't game to admit it I thought it was just me although I am mega careful with stuff. I thought for that price you might have thought the pins would be a little more durable.

Well that is suprising Ness & Tassie. So very glad I asked the question. I thought if I paid the extra for a 'decent' pin brush these issues would happen. As we all know there is a huge $$ difference between

the 2 items. CC pin that I was looking at was around $90 as opposed to $20 for PP. ATM I have an All Systems I think it is called, only had it 3 months. Everyday I groom my 2, pins are flying out of it & the pins always sink

into the cushion. So I have to stop all the time & pull them out. I paid $50 for it too. Not Happy :mad I'm like you ness I really look after all my things. I keep every spotlessly clean as well. Bordering on anal :laugh:

I have used CC shampoo & loved it so thought their brushes might be worth a try. PP are sounding the go atm though & the price is good, Aussie made as well another bonus. Try to buy Aussie made when possible.

Was thinking I might need to buy a stripping knife too cause Stella has got some reddish/gold old coat behind her ears that I want to get out is I can but aren't sure how. Am I on the right track & if so which knife do I buy?

I've been looking at them online & their are lots of different ones :noidea: Or do I use another method to get out this little bit of unsightly coat.

Edited by BC Crazy

I prefer the slickers personally. I know they are meant to pull undercoat but if used properly they don't

I use both cowanbree. I pin brush first, then I use my Les pooch slicker which I love. Then I use a metal comb to get any loose hair off

It is I just can't seem to find a descent slicker brush but the PP ones are getting a good wrap so I might have to give them a go. thanks cb :)

rofl1.gif BC Crazy I use PP shampoo but a CC brush laugh.gif. I use a thin comb behind the ears but mostly I just hand strip them.

:laugh: Ness. Probably a dumb question :o but when you say a thin comb what exactly do you mean? & also is it hard to use a stripping knife, I have never used one before? what knife do you have?

Hope Kenzie is doing O.K. & not going completely crazy with all the crate time. I often wonder how she is :)

Hmmm just a super thin comb - I have a flea comb but I also have a normal fine comb. This computer isn't operating with links but I just picked up one from petstock rofl1.gif.

I don't use a stripping knife I just take the hair between my fingers and pluck it. The dead stuff comes away easily enough without hurting the dog.

Kenz is doing ok - kind of laugh.gif. Nearly 3 weeks down, 3 weeks to go laugh.gif. Well no more then 3 weeks but I think we might get to start with short walks in 3 weeks. Doing nothing is actually easy I am not sure controlling her and doing small amounts will be quite so easy.

Oh O.K. I have ran a really fine comb through that area but didn't do much. I thought I would hurt her if I just plucked it out but I will try it, thanks ness

Glad to hear kenz is going o.k. & yes totally agree that when she is able to do 'little bits' it will be hard to control her as like most BC's its go,go go. Not just at a leisurely pace either.

Good luck with that ness :laugh:

Agree with ness about the flea comb and/or pinch hair and pull methods -it's dead hair so it doesn't bother them too much - although mine aren't crazy abouit it. Just keep at it. Another thing you can use is a thinnish garden glove with rubber finger tips - that grips the behind the ears dead hair nicely.

I can't remember what brand my slicker is - although I've had a Softgrip one which is OK.

A couple of other thins to think about for getting out undercoat - a rotating tooth comb, and/or a collie comb I think they're called - alternating longer and shorter teeth, But whatever yo're using, try wetting the coat first -light spray with either just a water spray, or something like PP Revivacoat diluted - or a diluted conditioner. Makes grooming a lot easier.

(Don't laugh, ness - jsut cos I had to earn all this stuff when I got Rory. :rofl:

rofl1.gif I am forever playing with Kenz's ear fluff whenever she has a physio or massage appointment and she is laying still while they work on whatever they are doing I normally sit there plucking ear fluff.

My girl just loves being groomed or fiddled with, poked or fussed over, NOT. She hates it with a passion & the "looks" I get whilst trying to do anything to her is like, " ARE YOU DONE YET" :angeldevil: so I try & be as quick as I can be. So this ear thing is going to be interesting. LOL.

Edited by BC Crazy

I just use a Pet Life pin brush from Big W but I have a wire haired Aussie Terrier!

I also use a comb with loose, rotating teeth for tangles and a flea comb for making sure all her fur is separated nicely. Just got a Mikki stripping blade from eBay for hand stripping and I also have a shedding rake, slicker, Furminator and numerous people combs of varying width teeth.

The pin brush and flea comb combo work best though!

CC Fusion pin brush. Polished tips mean less coat breakage. And I love the pretty colours (mine is purple) :D

I have had no problem with the pins bending, though I tend to use pin brushes as a 'finishing' brush and while drying.

Not a pin brush but I also love the Les Poochs Brush. Also polished tips. And ergonomic. I use the Pro Brush F/F.

This is my 'workhorse' that I tend to start all grooming sessions with.

I have found since changing to these brushes that coat quality has actually improved and brushing is easier.

I was using a PP pin brush and Lawrence slicker before this. Both good - but I like what I have now a lot more.

Edited by espinay2