Burgular Punches Police Dog

LizT

I wonder if this is the same Nat who was on the Police Dog Show last year?

I remember that Rotti on the Show. It said he was specially good at police work, because his father had been an outstanding police dog.

Silly burglar! No wonder he's nursing some wounds.

And he's being charged with aggravated cruelty to a dog! Among other things.

I remember that Rotti on the Show. It said he was specially good at police work, because his father had been an outstanding police dog.

Yes, and I believe he will be the last Police Rotti. :(

Yes, the name is the same I remember, he was impressive to see in action. Nice one Nat, stand up for yourself and your master!

Liz why do you say he'll be the last Rotty?

Nat persisted and subdued the man

This did make me giggle just a little bit. Especially when followed by this

who in-turn suffered bite wounds to his face, arms and legs and was taken to the Northern Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Way to go buddy - good job :D

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the name is the same I remember, he was impressive to see in action. Nice one Nat, stand up for yourself and your master!

In the TV series the Policeman/Handler metioned that the Police are no longer using Rottweilers as Police dogs and that Nat is the last.

I believe there is also a move in some Countries (such as the UK) to use Malinois rather than German Shepherds now.

Edited by LizT

In the TV series the Policeman/Handler metioned that the Police are no longer using Rottweilers as Police dogs and that Nat is the last.

I believe there is also a move in some Countries (such as the UK) to use Malinois rather than German Shepherds now.

Germany are also switching to Malinois. http://www.thelocal.de/society/20110822-37117.html

I think it's also worth mentioning, that the dog kept its cool, and showed a great level of discipline by not using excessive force on the burglar. This could have quite easily ended up in serious injury or fatality, aggravating a dog in this position.

I think it's also worth mentioning, that the dog kept its cool, and showed a great level of discipline by not using excessive force on the burglar. This could have quite easily ended up in serious injury or fatality, aggravating a dog in this position.

Exactly. The dog did as it is trained to do...keep it's cool and restrain...not to attack out of control. :)

I think it's also worth mentioning, that the dog kept its cool, and showed a great level of discipline by not using excessive force on the burglar.

Yes, there was a good description of how a police dog behaves in the Q'ld Police Bulletin October 2005 (reprinted last month):

When people think of a police dog, they might visualise a snarling canine bearing razor-sharp teeth, but in reality they are simply bold, unyielding dogs, whose confidence to stand their ground makes them valuable members of the Q'ld Police Service.