I Finally Made My Own Raw Food

Hi everyone My dogs have been eatting a raw diet for a week now and there looking better. Missy is no longer doing horrible farts and her coat is looking and feeling better. I just hope I'm giving them what they need. This is what I have been feeding. I do give veggies I put through the blender which cuts them up finely. I also cook up some brown rice, The meat I use is chicken,beef,chicken and roo,chicken giblets, pork and turkey when on sale. I use chunks of meat and minced meat. I will try to give bones every 2nd to 3rd day. So this is what I put in my batch.

Broccli

carrots

zuccini

bok choy

5 eggs and shell

3kgs of chunky and minced meat

teaspoon oF minced garlic

1 cup of cooked brown rice

6 tablespoons of flaxseed oil

I also add 5ml of vets all natural health booster powder to each dogs meal, Once a week I will add offal to there meal (did that tonight Missy had a runny poo) might have given too much offal, Also once a week I will add some sardines,salmon or maceral to the batch.

Your dog does not need brown rice. Personally I would not feed pork to a dog either.

Other than that - have you researched raw feeding to make sure you are getting the correct alance of minerals and vitamins etc that dogs need?

Might be coincidence about the coat - it takes longer than a week for a change in diet to affect the coat.

MtS I bet they love the food :) Well Done.

have you had a look through this thread- it is all about raw feeding :) Enjoy! CLICK HERE

I'm reading that thread now, I keep re reading that thread too. I know they don't need brown rice but I give it mainly to fill them up. Here are some I made up today, it has

3 carrots

1 bunch of bok choy

1 full broccli

1 cup of cooked brown rice

6 tablespoons of flaxseed oil

5 egggs (they ate the crushed shells with dinner tonight)

1 teaspoon of minced garlic

1kg of chicken thighs cut into pieces

500grams of chicken giblets

1kg of chicken mince

I may cut back on the veggies this normally makes 3 days worth of food for 2 golden retrievers,1 whippet and a chihuahua.

2861498880107041515S500x500Q85.jpg

Edited by mumtoshelley

I commend you on wanting to feed your dogs raw foods, it is very good for them...

Dogs don't need filler... They need a good balance of nutrients...

I feed a mix of barf and royal canin (it was Nutro but we changed) and raw bones...

He gets a cup of kibble in the morning with a few chicken necks or some tinned sardines in oil.

A bone or turkey neck every second day

Barf patty and some more kibble of a night.

He is a one year old staffy cross (whos is more amstaff size than staffy sized) who does heaps of exercise and is sitting at a very good weight for him at the moment.

Not all diets are suitable for all dogs and you soon realise if your dog is doing well on what you are giving them.

Good luck with it.

Guest english.ivy

Looks great but switch the broccoli to peas and pumpkin. Dogs shouldn't really have broccoli.

Garlic is the same family as onion? I wouldn't add garlic to dog food.

I just made my own raw beef balls too, added coconut oil, raw egg yolk only, oat bran, peas, grated carrot. The meat was preservative free human grade minced beef.

This isn't a complete diet for my dogs, just a different way for me to feed raw and a trial.

I commend you on wanting to feed your dogs raw foods, it is very good for them...

I feed a mix of barf and royal canin (it was Nutro but we changed) and raw bones...

He gets a cup of kibble in the morning with a few chicken necks or some tinned sardines in oil.

Interesting advice, considering the majority of kibble is filler ;)

IMO ,one cup of rice , spread between multiple dogs , over a few days is not much rice ,and is probably a sensible addition in this cool weather.

Broccoli, AFAIK, is a good addition in small amounts (less than 5%) larger amounts may lead to problems.

Garlic in larger amounts can, like onion cause problems like anaemia ...they don't really need it in their meal - meat makes it tasty enough ..or a bit of sardine oil :)

Interesting advice, considering the majority of kibble is filler ;)

I did say they don't need filler.. Not that the OP shouldn't use it...

I use kibble as I foster and simply can't afford to feed barf to all the dogs (as I run 2 businesses, it is easier for me to buy the patties made up)..

Missy tonight after a week of eatting raw minced meat,bones,veggies

2384990980107041515S500x500Q85.jpg

This isn't the dog that you're referring to in the other thread where you're concerned about not being able to put weight on, is it? Missy looks good in the weight stakes, to me. :)

And good on you for working to put together a good wholesome raw meal. I wish my dog could and would eat all those different meats so I could have the freedom of mixing, changing, adding etc.

It's time consuming though, so reward yourself for your effort by patting yourself on your back.

I think that sounds good :thumbsup:

I found that my dogs have been doing even better on raw since I increased the amount of veges (which include lentils) that they get.

Danois, why wouldn't you feed pork? I want to know because Dig and Del get a bit of pork (lol).

Missy tonight after a week of eatting raw minced meat,bones,veggies

2384990980107041515S500x500Q85.jpg

This isn't the dog that you're referring to in the other thread where you're concerned about not being able to put weight on, is it? Missy looks good in the weight stakes, to me. :)

And good on you for working to put together a good wholesome raw meal. I wish my dog could and would eat all those different meats so I could have the freedom of mixing, changing, adding etc.

It's time consuming though, so reward yourself for your effort by patting yourself on your back.

No Erny Missy isn't the dog that can't put weight on she is great. My sisters dog is the one that won't put the weight back on after being sick. I'm trying my hardest to get my sister to take her to the vet. Thanks I want to do whats best for my dogs there my babies, I'm getting some new meat next week beef and roo and roo chunks have to wait for them to get them in. My chihuahua rascals coat looks to have gone whiter and brighter, I actually got him to eat a bone today. He went off them wouldn't touch them which is werid cause he loves bones but today he eat one no worries. I have also noticed my dogs aren't scratching like they did before.

Well done OP. That looks like a really good mix to me and very similar to the one I use - when I have time. :) My dogs are on a raw diet and do brilliantly - haven't been to the vet for anything but check ups in the last 18 months and they are 12, 10 (going on 13 and 11) and around 6ish. So I think thats good going. And I put it down partly to the care I take with their diet. :)

Edited by westiemum

Cause I have just started out feeding raw it has cost me a bit more, But looking at the barf patties $24 for 12 patties for 4 dogs I would need 5 boxes which would cost $120 for 2 weeks worth. The barf patties would be alright if you only had 1 or 2 dogs to feed but for myself it cost way to much. I do tend to go over board when getting things for my dogs so I do spend more on them then myself, This fortnight I have spent $200 just on food and supplements. I mainly get my mince from bucket o beef which works out cheaper, I then buy chicken thighs or fillets cut them in chunks,beef off cuts cut into chunks,chicken giblets,chicken hearts.liver,lamb heart,liver,kidney,ox kidney,pig kidney,pork mince,diced pork,beef mince, I have flaxseed oil and vets all natural health booster supplement. Then the veggies I use zuccini,carrots,bok choy,celery,broccli,cooked brown rice,tomatoe really anything they can eat that I have on hand. Then for bones I have chciken frames,turkey legs and wings,ox tails,chicken wings. For rascal my chihuahua I have chicken wings cut in half,ox tail,chicken necks, chicken drumlets and turkey wings cut in half. Just stocking the freezer in the begining can cost a bit but it does get cheaper each fornight as I'll only replace what I have used.

Come live with me, MtS ..... I'd love you to be looking after the meal preparation for my dog - you put in such a lot of time, energy and thought.

Oh yes ..... and money!! Lol - I know your pain on that one. My doggy food bills match yours plus some, and I only have one dog !!! :eek: :laugh:

Come live with me, MtS ..... I'd love you to be looking after the meal preparation for my dog - you put in such a lot of time, energy and thought.

Oh yes ..... and money!! Lol - I know your pain on that one. My doggy food bills match yours plus some, and I only have one dog !!! :eek: :laugh:

I know Erny my parents are complaining on how much time and effort and specially money I spend on the dogs. They always saying why don't you just feed a simple kibble, Well Nissy my whippet does horrible farts on black hawk and thats classed a premium food. My parents want me too feed supermarket food, If missy farts bad on black hawk I would hate to see what she would do on cheap supermarket food. I think its the lamb meat in the black hawk causing her bad farts but can't be sure. Missy handles pork,chicken,turkey,beef and roo prefectly fine either that or it's cause the food is cooked. If I could find a kibble that would agree with Missy I would probably use it, but in the long run I could be spending more on kibble then on raw.