R.i.p. Ducky

pebbles

Ducky arrived here nearly 15 years ago - as an egg. Mother duck had hatched out a brood and left two eggs behind. Ducky and sister hatched out a couple of days later in the spare bed with the electric blanket on. Ducky was always a friendly girl, whereas sister, DuckDuck ('cause we couldn't tell the difference) had a grudge against the world. Much hissing and attacking people was her style and the way she sent the drake we borrowed for them screaming down the lane was a sight to see. DuckDuck never laid an egg and passed peacefully about 6 years ago. Ducky did lay a clutch sneakily behind a tank but when we removed them, she said 'Ok that's it!" Never laid another. She had the dogs bluffed, one hiss and a peck and they were gone. We went trawling for snails and slugs, me turning over rocks and she grabbing what was there. Come home late at night and she would appear, give a quack then head back to her bed. I'll miss the old lady but she was blind and the last little while she was slowing down badly. This morning she was having her last sleep in her bed. Bye Bye Ducky.