Puppy Keeps Barking In The Crate

bigbadwolf

my dog had no issues with staying in the crate when he first came, that was for the past 1 1/2 weeks. i did according to how they said to introduce the crate to my puppy and it worked! he happily stayed inside to sleep or play.

now when i put him back into his crate he would bark. i ignore him but he would stop after 5 mins in the day which to me is quite fine cause usually he whines for 5 mins but everything ceases in 5. but at night be it 10pm or 3am he isnt so nice. he will keep on barking despite me ignoring him. so i created this 'naughty room' for him to quieten down.

it is this small empty space beneath a built in wardrobe, slightly larger than 60x60cm measured by the training pads. the first time i put him in his 'naughty room' he barked like the world was gonna end but since the wardrobe did a really good job suppressing the sound i didnt have problems letting him go on and on and on, doubt the neighbours even heard anything.

so today is like the 2nd-3rd day where im having problems with my puppy going back to his crate but i have discovered that when placed into the naughty room, he doesnt bark hysterically anymore. maybe some whining and barking but he will eventually go quiet even quicker than 5 mins.

now i am starting to think that the naughty room is his new chill out place and the crate has become the naughty room now, "no i dont want to be in this crate *woof woof woof*"

im starting to have the idea of putting his crate in the wardrobe but i dont want my clothes to stink and neither do i want him to have poor ventilation.

whats up with my puppy? why does he like the naughty room or not the nice bedroom. argh

Edited by bigbadwolf

Is the "naughty room" dark, and the crate not dark?

i did suspect this at first so now i have a big towel covering the gate and the sides.

i am using some airline approved pet carriers which i thought would be less exposed than those wired crates

but it seems he like pitch black darkness, maybe i'll try to seal up the crate even more to make it darker inside

Also, the cupboard probably smells like you, so try placing a word shirt of yours in the crate with him.

Just pick a place and stick to it, changing his "safe places" is unsettling for him and going to cause issues.

my dog had no issues with staying in the crate when he first came, that was for the past 1 1/2 weeks. i did according to how they said to introduce the crate to my puppy and it worked! he happily stayed inside to sleep or play.

now when i put him back into his crate he would bark. i ignore him but he would stop after 5 mins in the day which to me is quite fine cause usually he whines for 5 mins but everything ceases in 5. but at night be it 10pm or 3am he isnt so nice. he will keep on barking despite me ignoring him. so i created this 'naughty room' for him to quieten down.

it is this small empty space beneath a built in wardrobe, slightly larger than 60x60cm measured by the training pads. the first time i put him in his 'naughty room' he barked like the world was gonna end but since the wardrobe did a really good job suppressing the sound i didnt have problems letting him go on and on and on, doubt the neighbours even heard anything.

so today is like the 2nd-3rd day where im having problems with my puppy going back to his crate but i have discovered that when placed into the naughty room, he doesnt bark hysterically anymore. maybe some whining and barking but he will eventually go quiet even quicker than 5 mins.

now i am starting to think that the naughty room is his new chill out place and the crate has become the naughty room now, "no i dont want to be in this crate *woof woof woof*"

im starting to have the idea of putting his crate in the wardrobe but i dont want my clothes to stink and neither do i want him to have poor ventilation.

whats up with my puppy? why does he like the naughty room or not the nice bedroom. argh

Could him barking means he needs to go out to do this toilet?

how old he is?

My 2 are fully crated trained, but still to this day, if they are in their crate and they bark.. it means something.

Your dog has no way of distinquishing between the "naughty room" and his crate. To him they are just both places you put him for whatever reasons you have, be it a time out, safety or whatever. He can't associate that he is being put in one place because he is naughty or being put in another because that is his usual bed/resting area.

Maybe rather than ignoring him when he barks, tell him to "hush" in a low deep voice yourself?

How old is the puppy? My guess is that he can't hold himself for the long periods you are imposing on him and needs to go to the toilet or he's lonely?

Whilst I use crates myself for adult dogs at night, I do not agree with keeping puppies in them for lengthy periods like all day when I'm at work ....

Edited by dogmad

..Don't think keeping a puppy in an enclosed 60cm square cupboard is ideal, either ...

you have a corgi, right?

They have pretty good yippers !They are also very smart ..and like to be busy.

What I suggest is to make his crate/pen , the BEST place ever...the ONLY spot he gets the really good toys/treats /food .

Also start right away on NILIF - he gets what he wants ..but he needs to 'work' for it :)

Edited by persephone