Susan Garrett's Crate Games

Hi all.

Has anyone on here ever tried out Susan Garrett's Crate Games DVD? I'm considering trying it out when I introduce my dog to the crate concept, and just wanted to know whether anyone has found it useful or worthwhile.

My dog is probably older than the target audience of the DVD (not a pup any more!), but I suppose similar results could be achieved, just perhaps at a slower rate.

Yes, and I absolutely recommend it. A lot of the principles learnt are awesome for agility and obedience, but having a pet dog 100% comfortable with their crate is really handy if you are ever forced to crate them.

I did crate games with my 2 yo at the time, also did it with my young dog as a puppy. It's something I work on occasionally as part of their agility work, and am currently revisiting more intensely as part of retraining my 6 yo's agility contacts.

I have been doing the basics, and recently bought the DVD and was then able to do more advanced stuff. It's great, I really recommend it.

Not just great for teaching a dog to love the crate, for also for teaching criteria for the sit, impulse control and solid understanding for the release cue.

yes.

When I first got my puppy - I just put her in the crate when I needed to go out, or do something in the kitchen without her, which was traumatic for both of us.

Then I got a copy of crate games, and went through the program. I think she got to Yer in Yer out in about 20 minutes or so - some dogs take longer, some are faster... and crate time now is much more fun. And we review it often. Ie I have a crate set up in the lounge room and we play get in the crate, come out the crate, in front of the telly... And I use the crate for her at club training when I'm setting up or taking stuff down or generally need to be doing something else. And she's quite happy to be in there - though last night I had to cover the door up so she couldn't see me. Otherwise she tries to get my attention being naughty or yelling. A cow hoof in there helps too.

It just makes the crate a much nicer place to be. She drags me to it at training... And several of her friends like being in there too.

Great for teaching self-control and release. Poppy even cottoned on to the principles eventually (6yo rescue grey with no prior training at all). DVD shows you her training an adult dog, too. Like the others, I'd recommmend it. Don't think you can get discount copies anywhere unfortunately :(

• 4 weeks later...

I have recently gotten myself a copy and I can't recommend it highly enough. Both my girls had been in crates before but I was primarily using it for self control and motivation training and it works. Not to mention it has improved their opinion of their crates out of sight!! Our first session where she says you need to get to 'yer in yer out' was over in 10mins and even then i was stretching it out and proofing big time. I did it with my 12month old GSP and my 5year old and after we'd finished both girls and went to pack up the crates (we were outside) they both ran straight over to them wanting ot get back in. And THAT was only after their very first session!! I wish i'd done this when they were little pups (not that it seems to matter much as they've both got it hands down now!) and I can't wait to start my next pup off with it. I honestly cannot recommend this highly enough!!!

I have recently gotten myself a copy and I can't recommend it highly enough. Both my girls had been in crates before but I was primarily using it for self control and motivation training and it works. Not to mention it has improved their opinion of their crates out of sight!! Our first session where she says you need to get to 'yer in yer out' was over in 10mins and even then i was stretching it out and proofing big time. I did it with my 12month old GSP and my 5year old and after we'd finished both girls and went to pack up the crates (we were outside) they both ran straight over to them wanting ot get back in. And THAT was only after their very first session!! I wish i'd done this when they were little pups (not that it seems to matter much as they've both got it hands down now!) and I can't wait to start my next pup off with it. I honestly cannot recommend this highly enough!!!

Sounds really good Jetpoint GSP. I have just got a copy on DVD so am looking forward to giving it a go :thumbsup:

I was only going to use it on my younger girl but sounds like I can try it out on both my guys which is great. I'm wrapped :D

100% brilliant cannot recommend highly enough, my dog was 6yrs old when he was introduced to this and grasped the concept very quickly and worked out very fast that crate meant lots of fun and would actually entice me and self initiate a game by grabbing toy running into crate and then racing up hall and back into crate etc.

My new pup modelled off him and has learnt that crate is a good place to be and also loves all our "race to crate" drop in crate games etc. Made car travel so much easier when I had installed airline crate on back seat for her to travel in and she would just go straight in no problem she obviouls transferred knowledge of inside crate and all the fun to this car crate meaning same thing and had no problem when we needed to fly she was very content in her crate.