Airtight Dry Food Storage

Guest english.ivy

Guest english.ivy

Two bins purchased yesterday. Fits a 20kg bag with room to spare, I'm happy :)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest english.ivy

Remember that a lot of plastic isn't food grade, even if it is sold to store pet food.

You're going to freak out a lot of pet owners without sharing details.

I will be storing mine in the bag I purchase the food in, while keeping the bag in the bin.

• 2 weeks later...

I have white plastic food-grade barrels with a screw-top lid, from the produce shop. These have lasted much longer and are more airtight than anything else I have tried.

It is best not to store excess dry dog food in your pantry. I have seen a few people do this and end up with all of their own food infested by pantry moths.

Guest english.ivy

It is best not to store excess dry dog food in your pantry. I have seen a few people do this and end up with all of their own food infested by pantry moths.

Which is why I wanted a container that I could store a 20kg bag plus more in :)

Remember that a lot of plastic isn't food grade, even if it is sold to store pet food.

Megan how do you tell? Cos I was wondering about that too. :)

Oops - forgot to answer this. I only buy plastic that is graded for storing human food. I have the deco 12L tubs. I only have small dogs and I can fit an 8kg bag into three containers easily. Added bonus is that they're BPA free.

Don't store the food in the pantry, even in a sealed container. I dud this and the pantry got infested with almost microscopic beetle (brown cloud beetle or something). I hate to throw everything out, even Tupperware because despite putting them in the dishwasher twice, some of the beetles survived. It took weeks of daily scrubbing the pantry to finally get rid of them.

Don't store the food in the pantry, even in a sealed container. I dud this and the pantry got infested with almost microscopic beetle (brown cloud beetle or something). I hate to throw everything out, even Tupperware because despite putting them in the dishwasher twice, some of the beetles survived. It took weeks of daily scrubbing the pantry to finally get rid of them.

My dog food always lives in my pantry have never had insect infestation due to that, more risk from supermarket dry grocery goods or birdseed IMO

Guest english.ivy

Speaking of pantry bugs, if I can, I store stuff in the freezer. Oats, wheat germ etc. Won't freeze and keeps the bugs out.

I'm looking for a container too but not willing to spend $50

The containers I got were $18.00 each. A good investment when some food costs up to $100 a bag.

Which are those? Yup our food is well over $100 a bag....

White food-grade barrels with a screw-on lid from a rural produce shop. Horse people use these too.

Guest english.ivy

Thanks will investigate

I have a Pro Plan food storage tin you're welcome to have. I got it for free with Pro Plan food about three years ago and have been using it since I got the new larger bin.