Airtight Dry Food Storage

Guest english.ivy

Guest english.ivy

Just wondering where [online or store] to buy airtight dry food storage bins, preferably to fit up to 20kg of food.

Had a google search and nothing really came up.

Edited by english.ivy

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering where [online or store] to buy airtight dry food storage bins, preferably to fit up to 20kg of food.

Garbage bins, have used them for years, not even my dogs can chew through them!! Usually leave food in bag and just drop in, use cereal containers in house and just refill when empty

I bought 10 litre containers from Bargain city. I got two, and they don't quite hold 16 kg, so I roll the bag up and put it in the fridge. The containers have a seal under the lid, so they are airtight. I think they were $10 each.

Guest english.ivy

Garbage bins, have used them for years, not even my dogs can chew through them!! Usually leave food in bag and just drop in, use cereal containers in house and just refill when empty

Currently have one for the labs food but I find the lid doesn't seal well. So that is why I'm looking for something else.

Not airtight, but I use the k9 pro food sacks, they look small but amazingly fit a bag of BH

I'd be worried about mice chewing through the sack? I store food in the carport, away from the dogs but we have mice in the carport.

have a look at Rubbermaid Scoup and Store. We have one of these, will hold up to a 20Kg bag. Has a handy scoup attached to the lid.

Not the best picture, but to give you the idea: http://www.bowhouse.com.au/p/650171/rubbermaid-scoop-n-store-pet-food-storage-containers.html

Oooo I really like these! Wonder if any stores in Perth sell them ..

Guest english.ivy

I bought 10 litre containers from Bargain city. I got two, and they don't quite hold 16 kg, so I roll the bag up and put it in the fridge. The containers have a seal under the lid, so they are airtight. I think they were $10 each.

I do that now, well I put the remaining food in the pantry, but I'd really like to get one to hold 20kg. So I can also put the entire bag in the bin too.

have a look at Rubbermaid Scoup and Store. We have one of these, will hold up to a 20Kg bag. Has a handy scoup attached to the lid.

Not the best picture, but to give you the idea: http://www.bowhouse.com.au/p/650171/rubbermaid-scoop-n-store-pet-food-storage-containers.html

Ours was bought at Pet Barn

Guest english.ivy

Hmm no pet barn in WA but I'll check out some stores later. Just found a old DOL thread where someone bought the Rubbermaid Scoup and Store from BigW.

Currently have one for the labs food but I find the lid doesn't seal well. So that is why I'm looking for something else.

Not airtight, but I use the k9 pro food sacks, they look small but amazingly fit a bag of BH

I'd be worried about mice chewing through the sack? I store food in the carport, away from the dogs but we have mice in the carport.

I have a couple of these, in different sizes. I think they're great. If you have a cat make sure to check that the lis is shut! More than once ive found my cats in with the food! :eek: :laugh:

I'm no help, i got mine at Petbarn too. :(

Edited by Chequeredblackdog

Guest english.ivy

I'm searching for my friend too, she's newly moved to Perth from NZ and wants airtight only.

I'm bored so going to go on a mini dog food bin mission!

Looked at all the bins at bunnings, kmart etc and they're cheap quality and not big enough.

We use a mini otto bin we got from Go-lo. I guess they're not airtight but certianly big enough, I fit 15kgs in with room to spare. They cost me 2 for $30 a couple of months ago, use them for lots of things, kids toys ect, and come in nice colours.

Guest english.ivy

Ended up buying an Xlarge for $54.95 .. roomy enough for an entire 20kg bag of food, plus space on top.

th_022.jpg

Edited by english.ivy

Guest english.ivy

th_024.jpg

Yeah bought two from City Farmers. Went to Pet Stock first and bah, that place does my head in.

Edited by english.ivy

For the past 10 years i have used a second hand olive barrel. see http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250-liter-water-drums-containers-plastic-tanks-wine-barrels-/261016242518?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3cc5c7c956&clk_rvr_id=348649418192 for an example. Theyre cheap and tough as old goats. I think mine is a 100litre one and it fits a 15kg bag of dry food plus a 3kg with maybe space for a second 3kg so around 21kg max. Get a free scooper from a pet shop and youre good to go.

There are a few places that sell them new (100litre) and i cant see they would be very expensive.

For the past 10 years i have used a second hand olive barrel. see http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250-liter-water-drums-containers-plastic-tanks-wine-barrels-/261016242518?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3cc5c7c956&clk_rvr_id=348649418192 for an example. Theyre cheap and tough as old goats. I think mine is a 100litre one and it fits a 15kg bag of dry food plus a 3kg with maybe space for a second 3kg so around 21kg max. Get a free scooper from a pet shop and youre good to go.

There are a few places that sell them new (100litre) and i cant see they would be very expensive.

I've got something similar, but it's a lovely electric blue colour and a friend gets them very cheaply. I have 2, 1 for dry dog food and one for my chook food in the garage. The rats cant chew through it. I've also some really big grey ones that I've had for 30 years and they're still good, I use them for horse feed.