Sick Dally

Hi there Juice, We had the same type of issue with our our boy a few years back so I feel your worry. It is often difficult for the Vet to distinguish between an inflammatory gastro problem versus an obstruction problem early on in the condition but the movement of the BIPs on Xray make an obstruction less likely. Also, if he is starting to take food and holding it down, then this also is encouraging. My only advice is to keep in touch with your Vet- its a team effort- as he/she needs your regular updates to know if they need to go the next step.... Fingers crossed for you.

He is a bit quiet today, just sleeping, he did do a little poo, but was a bit strained to do it.

He is holding down the small portions of food.

Thankyou to everyone for the support, it really means alot to me :thumbsup:

Edited by juice

The bill has "vettest-haematology", would that be bloods?

He slept well last night, went out for a wee this morning, licked Bonne's face all over to wake her up ( my BT), and is now settled in front of the heater.

Hopeing i see him poo a bit more noramlly today.

From what I can tell from google the haematology analyser is different to the chemistry one, looks like the haematology one looks at red and white cells, platelets etc. If he doesn't pick up enough for your liking I'd be asking for a biochemistry profile as well just to cover as much as possible.

The Vettest is a biochemistry analyser- tests kidney, liver, protein and heap of other things

Haematology is the red + white cells and platelets ( right-on woof n Hoof )

For an ill patient, most vets do both these blood tests

From the sounds of things the term on the invoice "vettest-haematology" is likely to be both.

BoxerJim, actually the 'vet-test' can run either biochem, or hematology,(seperate machine) and it sounds like the dog just had hematology from the invoice.

BoxerJim, actually the 'vet-test' can run either biochem, or hematology,(seperate machine) and it sounds like the dog just had hematology from the invoice.

Hi xyz,

Alas I wish the Vet test machine could run haematology!

We sell and service and repair and interpret the results for all the various idexx machines for 105 Vet clinics, incuding the VetTest.

Its an amazing system to be able to get results within 10 mins.

The Vet test is a biochemistry analyser as I mentioned above, that is all it can do

Most clinics we install a VetLab which= VetTest, haematology, Electrolytes etc etc

I would take me forever to go thru each machine so...jump onto the idexx website and you can see the various machines that make up the VetLab system.

http://www.idexx.com/view/xhtml/en_us/smallanimal/inhouse/vetlab-in-house-analyzers.jsf

you will see the various machines and click on them to see what they analyse

Hope that puts is straight :)

Anyway, important thing is... how is he going Juice??? keep us in touch..

BoxerJim

He is still strainig alot to poo, did another tiny one late last night when i let him out, he hadn't been allday.

It was very hard, bullet like, but he is only on a little chicken mince and rice atm.

I am thinking of keeping him on that today and then slowly giving him a little kibble too.

Apart from that he is tired easily, and i have noticed on the last 2 days late on in the day he starts to pant? And he isn't hot, he is outside with the other 2 during the day.

The panting would be a sign of pain, maybe clarify with the vet that they did in fact do biochem as well as haematology, did they tell you what the results were? Might be worth trying him on some k/d or l/d in case he needs something really bland to ease the load on his insides but obviously you will have to check with your vet on that.

Hi xyz,

Alas I wish the Vet test machine could run haematology!

We sell and service and repair and interpret the results for all the various idexx machines for 105 Vet clinics, incuding the VetTest.

Its an amazing system to be able to get results within 10 mins.

The Vet test is a biochemistry analyser as I mentioned above, that is all it can do

Most clinics we install a VetLab which= VetTest, haematology, Electrolytes etc etc

I would take me forever to go thru each machine so...jump onto the idexx website and you can see the various machines that make up the VetLab system.

http://www.idexx.com/view/xhtml/en_us/smallanimal/inhouse/vetlab-in-house-analyzers.jsf

you will see the various machines and click on them to see what they analyse

Hope that puts is straight :)

Anyway, important thing is... how is he going Juice??? keep us in touch..

BoxerJim

Sorry for the confusion, but I guess the clinics I know of refer to the the biochem, haemotology and lytes components as part of the vet-test, as they are (or were until the newer models were released!) run 'thru' the vet-test!!!!

So glad the pup seems to be on the mend! :thumbsup: