Sick Dally

I could do with some dol support right now

My 13 year old dally, Appollo is not well.

Weds evening on our walk he must of eaten at least one mini corn cob in the long grass while he was bunny hunting.

I didn't see him eat anything, but assume thats when it happened.

He came home and refused to eat, paced, kept drinking lots of water and then vomiting it up, i was unsure wether to head to the vets .

Anyway he eventually through up a mini corn, so i thought that was it, he settled down and went to sleep.

Next morning sick all over the floor, and he was really flat, kept wanting to go outside and just stand there, so took him to the vets.

He was given something to settle his tum, fluids, 4 x rays over the last 2 days, and 'bips" to see if they passed along.

They didn't want to operate as thought the one he through up could just be causing pain now.

So last night they said he was perky, had eaten in the afternnon, nothing showing on the xrays so i could collect him.( $870 bill)

When i got there the vet nurse brought him out, i thought he still looked flat, but thought he just wanted to go home, as soon as we got home he stood by the back door to go out, and then went around the garden trying to hide under things, going all around the edge, obviously uncomfortable, i kept calling him back in the warm, but he would just pace and stand by the door again and do the same. he wouldn't eat anything.

After about an hour i noticed he was drooling, he then vomited twice.

I rang the vet.

He said he seemed fine at lunch time, but to bring him back in for a pain relief injection ,another $111 a pop. He said they still couldn't be sure there wasn't something in there, but it also could be the intestines are damaged ( ileus), which is very painful. The injection will last 24 hours and he can have upto 5of them.

so this morning i get up to a dreaful smell and he is laying in his own poo :(

I am assuming the injection has relaxed his muscle's? But its odd he didn't move away from it.

I have washed him down, he seems a bit more calmer this morning.

now i don't knowwhat to do, i will call the vet soon just to let them know what happened. :(

Edited by juice

oh dear :(

What a worry- I'm sorry

:hug: ...

did they do barium balls to check for blockages?

what are mini corn cobs?

are they actual corn cobs?or some sort of grass?

Just wondering if something could have dislodged and remained stuck....

Hi Juice

i hope your boy is ok,

just a thought as i dont know the area you live, is there any chance the corn cob could have been baited for another animal Rabbits, Rats, Birds etc, if the corn kernels are gone and it was originally used to bait then maybe the cob has some residue of the bait ? Just a thought ?

Good luck with him

Sherel

I am sorry to hear about your boy Juice. How worrying. :(

I'd also be concerned that the corn cob(s) may of been baited.

I hope Apollo feels better soon. :crossfingers:

Hugs to you both. :hug:

Edited by k9angel

yes he did have the barium balls, and they seemed to pass ok.

However they havn't ruled out something causing a minor blockage that isn't showing up.

He did a very small poo this morning,and ate a little breakfast.

I rang the vet about him pooing himself, and it was almost black and he said that was ok, caused by damage.

Mini corn cobs are just the same as corn on the cobs but smaller, apparently KFC have them.I thought at first it was a bone as it was so sharp,vet said they are worse than the big ones as they swallow them whole.

Doubt it would be baited, there is a house near there that chucks its food waste onto the causeway, i have seen the lady doing it, and have shouted at her to stop once, but she does it in the same spot everyday and i watch him to make sure he doesn't make a dash for it.

He is asleep atm, so going to keep an eye on him to see when the injection wears off, and about to cook up some rice ,so he just has chicken and rice for a few days.if he turns his nose up at tea time i know he's in need of another vet trip. :(

I am now wondering about the bait theory, kamuzz lives in my street and her setter is at the vets waiting for an xray for the same behavoir.

Both our houses back onto church land, and we are the only ones with multiple big dogs :(

Could be coincidence, but i didn't actually see Appollo eat anything on the walk, so could have happened earlier at home.

he just a little bit on chicken and rice, i had to hand feed him, but he ate it, just waiting to see if he can hold it down.

kamuzz's setter just about to have surgery, so will be interesting to see what they find.

Looking better tonight, he has eaten his tea, just chicken and rice and is asleep.

he did have a runny poo today, just a tiny one, thats all he has passed today, weeing ok.

Hopefully the meds are starting to work.

kamuzz's setter had eaten a tug toy end and is still at the vets recovering, at least they weren't baited.

The bill has "vettest-haematology", would that be bloods?

He slept well last night, went out for a wee this morning, licked Bonne's face all over to wake her up ( my BT), and is now settled in front of the heater.

Hopeing i see him poo a bit more noramlly today.