Drontal Then Vomit Then Worms In Stool?

bigbadwolf

i missed my puppy's worming schedule by 5 days

yesterday i got hold of a drontal chewable and fed it to my dog with his dinner.

3 to 4 hours later he was restless, whining and making noise. soon after his whole stomach started making this weird loud noise that made me think he was going to vomit. he stood still and his neck was moving like a wave in unison with the sound of the stomach.

*splut* out it came vomit, undigested food. i still could see the kibble but he didnt vomit his entire dinner, the vomit was about the size of a kid's fist. straight away i thought it was a side effect of the drontal and a quick search showed that some dog owners here experienced vomitting after giving drontal.

so alright maybe it was too strong for him or the dosage might be a little too much but it was given by the vet accordingly to his weight. he just tips 5kg so according to the bayer dosage sheet, 5.1kg to 10kg is 1 tablet (medium chew) and anything less than 5kg is 1/2 tablet. just because my puppy pipped the 5kg barrier by 500g he is prescribed twice the dosage than he would be given if he were 500g lighter. could this also be a factor why it might have been too strong for him?

fast forward to the morning poop accident in the crate so while cleaning up the crate i see this dried-up looking shriveled up worm (i suspected its a worm, a dead one). it was translucent in colour and i would say it was like a translucent light yellow. smeared with poop but im guessing the colour would be more like spaghetti when its was still alive, roundworm perhaps? i thought it was grass but it had a worm like texture and the inside of the worm was the sort of sand vein you see in a prawn. my question is, did the worms come about because i missed his drontal by 5 days? or was it cause the drontal kicked in and started expelling out some worms. he was given drontal since he was with the breeders so im guessing real hard when the worms settled in.

Puppies are wormed every 14 days because that is in synch with the worm cycle. You worm them, but the eggs are still in the dog, and hatch, so the next worming takes care of them. Sometimes you do get them all.

Vomiting could be a response to the wormer.

If the pup is well, eating and not vomiting, I would think he is ok now, and probably all worms are dead.

Puppies are wormed every 14 days because that is in synch with the worm cycle. You worm them, but the eggs are still in the dog, and hatch, so the next worming takes care of them. Sometimes you do get them all.

Vomiting could be a response to the wormer.

If the pup is well, eating and not vomiting, I would think he is ok now, and probably all worms are dead.

i wont say he is well though

when he sleeps he makes noises like something is bothering him. not barking or anything, more like a combination of whining and agitation, like an irritated kid.

didnt vomit after last night and yeah he eats well. gobbles them all up.

just wondering what is going on in his tummy. oh i'll wait and see

when he sleeps he makes noises like something is bothering him. not barking or anything, more like a combination of whining and agitation, like an irritated kid.

Most likely he's dreaming :) Dogs can 'run', whine, bark (muffled) growl, tail wag ..... and be very very noisy when they dream !

Edited by persephone

haha i know what you mean

but 2 nights back he was whining and grunting then goes back to sleep

usually once he is awake from his nap he wants attention but that night he was awfully by himself

this morning after meal poop i saw another roundworm (i think) in his stool. i never really dig through his poop just that this one time, part of the worm's body was on the surface. but he is more active today so that is a good sign.

am i wrong to assume a dog will only poop out worms when on worming tablets? or can a dog still poop out worms despite not being on any worming medication? im just trying to guess why am i only seeing worms now and not earlier and im wondering whether the drontal from friday was in his vomit although i mashed it up into fine grains.

since drontal might have been a little rough on him, i'll definitely look for another softer alternative.

thanks guys

Pups can pass worms without being wormed. However, as you have wormed you pup, the most likely cause is the wormer happening. If you are seeing worms in the droppings, there are probably a lot of worm eggs, and you should worm him every 2 weeks until he is 12 weeks old.

I always use Drontal on pups, with good results, but everyone has their preferences, so you will get a lot of different opinions. :)

Pups can pass worms without being wormed. However, as you have wormed you pup, the most likely cause is the wormer happening. If you are seeing worms in the droppings, there are probably a lot of worm eggs, and you should worm him every 2 weeks until he is 12 weeks old.

I always use Drontal on pups, with good results, but everyone has their preferences, so you will get a lot of different opinions. :)

i would try drontal on the next dose again

call me stubborn but i do think the dosage might have been a little too much for him. hopefully in the next 1 month he puts on enough weight (healthily of course) to take one 1 tablet.

besides drontal what else do you guys use? only brand i hear of is drontal, maybe i could start researching on other brands

:thumbsup:

I never use Drontal for my Corgi babies are I feel it's quite harsh.

Propantal seems to be much kinder and I've never had a poor reaction to it but have had several react to the Drontal over the years.

My boxer got quite sick when I last used Drontal. No worms were evident but he was flat, vomited and refused food for a couple of days.

I wormed him this week with Canex and he was completely fine, no side-effects whatsoever.