Clingy/dependent Puppy

Zitchdog

Hi, I have a 6 month welsh springer spaniel pup who is beautiful and (kind of) responding to training but is incredibly clingy/dependent. He follows us around the house (even to the toilet) he is totally over excited when we come home from somewhere, if he knows we're inside when he's outside he howls and barks and throws himself against doors/windows (has broken through dog door several times) and now when we leave home he sits at the back of the garage door and just cries, and is in the same spot when we come home. I'm really worried he's there crying all day. We have a kennel, toys, snacks outside, a bobble treat dispenser etc. Any ideas? I'm close to rescuing another dog from the pound just to keep him company...

How do you response to his behaviour?

Does he have a routine that he follows when you leave? Do you set a routine for him?

What is your reaction when you comes home and see him?

I wouldn't rescue another dog... it could make things worst.

Ignore him when he's crying

Try and be calm when we come home - go straight into training routine if he doesn't calm down.

When we leave we pack up the house, put his toys and bed outside, say goodbye, give him a kong or something and close the door and walk away.

I don't really want to get another dog, the crying is just breaking my heart :(

When we were looking for a new dog after out old ESS passed we looked at a WSS as I love the 'joyful, playful, overexcited' side of springers but one thing about the Welsh SS that kinda put us off when we read about them was the need to be around the 'family' all the time. This may be just a part of your boy's makeup. Remember he is still a baby, perhaps ring his breeder they should be able to help. We went with another ESS (field this time). As for another dog if you do decide to get one go through a Rescue org, as they can help you more with finding a good fit and you can do a trial period, rather than just getting one via the pound.

When we leave we pack up the house, put his toys and bed outside, say goodbye, give him a kong or something and close the door and walk away.

Do you do this routine when you're home too? get him to spend time alone when you're home?

Completely ignore him when you get home. Don't even do training with him (that's giving him attention).

It's hard, but until he is quiet, that's when you should go greet him.

If you are worried that he will smash the glass, put something there to prevent that from happening.

Have you taught him that being alone is ok?

Guest lavendergirl

Definitely do not bring another dog into the situation - it is not likely to cure the problem at all and may make it worse. Is he crate trained - it is well worth doing. Most dogs love them because they feel safe and secure in a small enclosed area. If you can train him to be happy in his crate in the house then you can work on gradually building up separation times while you are home. Give him treats in the crate and once he is happy to be in there close the door for short periods - gradually building up the time and eventually leaving the room for longer and longer periods. This will lessen his need to follow you around all the time. Is he able to stay in the house while you are out - he may feel more secure if he can be left in a small room with his crate and with a doggy door for access to an outside toilet area. Make it a secure place with treats, kong, food puzzles, a radio (talkback) playing. Make sure that you leave some worn clothes or something with your scent to comfort him while you are out. As Perse has said work on separation while you are at home so it becomes part of the routine but the key is to build it up gradually so he is not too stressed. He is young yet but you need to work on this now before it becomes a lifelong problem. If possible set up a recorder so you know the extent of the problem before you start getting complaints from neighbours :D

Also, ignoring the dog when you come home does not always work with all dogs so flexibility is required and you may find you need to try many things before finding something that improves things. The thing is not to be too rigid and persist with methods that are not working for you - be willing to try alternative methods and he is still a pup after all. Good luck - hope things improve.

Lol how do you teach a dog it's ok to be alone?

We did crate training when we got him - he couldn't stand it, took him less than a week to destroy it. If we leave it open he sleeps in it at night no worries but as soon as he is outside and/or it's daylight he can't be alone :(

Not sure I'm cool with him being in the house when we're out - it's open plan and I'm bit worried he'd destroy the furniture.

Crate training is one way of teaching the pup that it's ok to be alone.

Or, I tied my pup in the living room and leave the pup there, while I did everything. Pup can still see me and hear what I'm doing, but I usually don't pay attention to itand I would only if the pup is quiet and relaxed. Then slowly I will walk out of the room for a few minutes, and only return to the room when the pup is quiet for more than 10 second, mostly just look at it and then walk out again.

Not much help with tips but you need to rectify this behavior now. My parents had a clingy dog. He ruined their lives. They could go no-where, do nothing without worrying about the dog. He pooed and vomited all over the house (and yelped constantly) when they went out. If they took him and left him in the car he'd do same. They were pretty clueless about dogs though and it was them that caused the behavior in the first place.

In the end the dog had to be put down so they could have a life. After that they went back to cats. Better choice.

ideally, it should be started when pup is a baby ....

however better late than never!

I would start by never giving him attention 'for free'

N I L I F is a program which, when done consistently , allows for pup to get as many cuddles and hugs as it can stand .......PROVIDED pup works for them :)

Pup sits still..pup gets praise. pup waits for dinner ..pup gets praise. pup faces away from owner and lies down happily - pup gets praise . pup walks out door and does NOT look at owner (even 10 seconds) ..pup gets praise

(in giving praise for sitting, etc ..do NOT call pup to you ... a Vocal 'good boy' ..'clever dog' etc can be given immediately teh wanted action is done)

Read more on it in THIS LINK.

Also ..give him really interesting/interactive toys that he can play with independently...first with you present, but being silent and not paying him attention ....

Does he like chasing, or chewing, or puzzle solving best? there are great toys to cater for all preferences...

I'm sure there are lots of things folks here can suggest...

and , don't forget , having the professional input of a good and recommended trainer/behaviourist can also help you understand what is happening/why it happens, and how you can learn to manage it.

My pup can be clingy, her nickname is shadow or velco :p Can't go for a pee without her there poking her head into your undies, or recently she think *awesome, you're sitting there not doing anything I'll bring you a toy and you can play with me!* However, she's fine to be alone if we aren't home. She figured out pretty early on she can carry on all she wants, but if no one is home, no one is coming to rescue her.

Have you ever snuck home, or set up a webcam to see what you pup does when you aren't home? You might be surprised.

I do have similar issues as you though, if pup knows I'm home she doesn't like being seperated. Whether shes outside, or crated, or whatever, she has tantrums if we are home and she can't get to us. I remove anything she can hurt herself on (we have baby gates up, so she can throw herself at those all she likes, and she can't hurt herself) and let her have tantrums. Maybe not the most effective thing ever, but after trying every other trick in the book to make her quiet without it working, I gave up. She can tantrum if she wants, I figure sooner or later she might realise it's much more fun to settle down and nap, or eat the tasty treat she's been left with!

I snuck in through a different door and went around the house trying to see where he was - he was at the garage spot although there wasn't any cyying. Once he realised I was home he was super excited and jumpy so I tried to hold him down by his collar and get him to watch and sit. Took a few minutes but then he did briefly so I gave him a hug and continued to try and get changed with him bouncing around.

I guess I'll just keep trying to calm down the welcome and try leaving him outside when we're home more. Maybe when we feed him I'll block the dog door and not let him back in for a while?

Guest english.ivy

Have you done any crate training with your puppy? Given him a kong full of frozen foods suitable for his tummy?

Maybe when we feed him I'll block the dog door and not let him back in for a while?

Doesn't that send him crazy?

the idea is to EDUCATE the pup ...to teach it that it can be happy alone ...that people will return .

To do that involves VERY short times to start with ..like 30 seconds, or a minute ..provided pup is occupied eating or whatever..and gradually increase the times..

what is your normal feeding routine? exactly?

" " " " bed time routine ?

We did crate training when we got him - he couldn't stand it, took him less than a week to destroy it. If we leave it open he sleeps in it at night no worries but as soon as he is outside and/or it's daylight he can't be alone :(

Not sure I'm cool with him being in the house when we're out - it's open plan and I'm bit worried he'd destroy the furniture.

Can you enclose an area like a laundry with baby gates? If you leave the crate open in a confined, safe space in the house with water, chew toys, puppy pads etc. your dog could be left inside the house while you are out. It sounds like at the moment for your dog being put outside=being alone. He may be calmer inside the house with the familiar smells etc. If he gets used to being in the confined area for short periods when you are home he will be better prepared for being home alone.

I found it helped to mostly cover the crate with a sheet, and line it with comfy bedding (making a cosy 'den'). It also helped settle my dog to give him a special chew toy or Kong filled with something tasty to have in there. He had a few special toys he was only given when I went out. So going into that crate/area was a good thing. :)

Ok, I just went back through the thread and Lavendergirl explained it much better than me. :o

My working ESS is like a little shadow....inside dog but she gets a lot of exercise and does a lot of training.

Spaniels do like to be with their humans so that bit is not unsurprising. Firstly, if he destroyed a crate it sounds like you had a soft crate rather than a wire crate. I wouldn't put ANY youngster in a soft crate and would be disappointed if they didn't try to get out! I like a smart puppy :)

I started with a wire crate - left the door open, tossed treats into the crate, made it the most rewarding place to be in the world. If she wasn't training she ate every meal in there - also stopped the cats and older dog pinching her food but that's another story! She only ever was let out of the crate when she was quiet and calm. All this was going pretty well when one night she found her voice and barked and barked and barked to be let out. Oh the noise!!!!! I tried not to laugh because she was SO persistent and had clearly found some confidence in her ability to manipulate us! She kept barking so we ignored her, ate our own dinner and turned the TV up LOUD to drown out the noise and our fits of giggles. As soon as she was quiet, I let her out. It took a few weeks of pushing through this period as she improved then regressed and then improved again. But we never gave in. I always made sure she was very well exercised (mentally and physically) before being crated. I extended the periods she was left in the crate being quiet. We upgraded it to a much larger wire crate that she now adores - when she sees me getting dressed to go out she gets very excited and hops in her crate waiting for her Kong. I've started leaving her in the lounge room with the rest of the Zoo as she is past the destructive phase but she gets so disappointed that she won't get to have her treats in her crate. She's usually asleep in there when I get home anyway. I still have a baby gate to the rest of the house as she has a penchant for cat toys.....and I suspect the dogs would be up on the beds asleep with the cats if I gave them half a chance!

I would never get another dog to deal with separation anxiety - there is little evidence that it helps anyway. Dogs need to learn that there is a time for exercise, play, training and resting. It is very hard for a dog to rest if he doesn't have enough exercise, play or training.

My pup can be clingy, her nickname is shadow or velco :p Can't go for a pee without her there poking her head into your undies, or recently she think *awesome, you're sitting there not doing anything I'll bring you a toy and you can play with me!* However, she's fine to be alone if we aren't home. She figured out pretty early on she can carry on all she wants, but if no one is home, no one is coming to rescue her.

Have you ever snuck home, or set up a webcam to see what you pup does when you aren't home? You might be surprised.

I do have similar issues as you though, if pup knows I'm home she doesn't like being seperated. Whether shes outside, or crated, or whatever, she has tantrums if we are home and she can't get to us. I remove anything she can hurt herself on (we have baby gates up, so she can throw herself at those all she likes, and she can't hurt herself) and let her have tantrums. Maybe not the most effective thing ever, but after trying every other trick in the book to make her quiet without it working, I gave up. She can tantrum if she wants, I figure sooner or later she might realise it's much more fun to settle down and nap, or eat the tasty treat she's been left with!

This sounds like Benny right down to the very last detail. He's perfectly fine for me to leave the house - doesn't cry, whinge etc.. As soon as I'm home I have to be with him or he'll crack the shits and whine... :laugh: He's getting better though, I have baby gates at the bottom of the stairs and he'll try to fight them and get through but he does eventually quieten down.

Patience and consistency - You'll get there :)