Girl 6, Attacked By A Pack Of Dogs Wa

Staffyluv

When. Will. People. Learn. What does it take? Weather it was unrestrained dog, unsupervised child, poorly trained dog/trained hunting dog or a combination... both owners and parents need to take that responsibility. Thoughts are with the little girl for a speedy recovery.

THIS ^^^^^!!!!!!!! I could not agree more.

As a parent, I am responsible for the well being of my children. If I needed to be on a property with my children and there were large (or any size for that matter) dogs, and quite a few of them, I would request that the owner restrain them or contain them. If they could not do this I would not enter, I would choose NOT to place my children at risk. At the end of the day a young child and a pack of dogs just do not mix.

Restraining or containing the dogs should have been done by the owners of the property before a strange person and child entered. My dog is neither a hunting dog nor dangerous but if someone I don't know needs to come into the yard, whether they are an adult or one of the kids friends, then I will put my girl on a leash and keep her with me or pop her in the garage. She is brilliant with kids, ok with strangers but prevention is better than cure and I am protecting HER as much as the people in my actions.

The property owners obviously reacted to the situation quickly and appropriately and contributed to saving that poor little girls life. I cannot comment on whether or not "charges" should be laid because, without knowing ALL the details surrounding the events we just cannot comment on blame. There are just too many ways that they events could have unfolded.

At the end of the day ALL the adults on that property, including and especially the father, failed in their duty of care to that little girl. I really hope she recovers quickly and doesn't have too many physical and emotional scars from what happened.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what a horrible thing to happen to that little girl.

I bet now some people will call for a Bull Arab amnesty, can you imagine that?? Lets see them draw up the 'breed characteristics' and identification booklet for the animal control people :o

I wouldnt be putting too much faith in the "animal control people" know a friend just brough home a rescue dog. was told its a German Shorthaired pointer?

It does have floppy ears, it is basically white with spots, but, ive never seen a gold GSP with sable tips to the coat. the ears are half the size they should be and it sure lacks the head shape? Part cattle part goodness knows what I'd be thinking.

Suspect it hasnt even any GSP in it.

So much for getting even close to a breed description let alone breed. with this one. bought it as a family pet and train but will it have any of the GSP traits they were expecting. Only time will tell

When will the basic messages get thro' to people? First, children in that little girl's age group are the most vulnerable for dog bites/attacks.

Second, dogs like pig dogs are trained and used to killing.....and don't know the difference between a small child and an animal.

At least the property owners tried to shield the child and may have saved her life. But they desperately need a commonsense transplant after having a pack of pig-killing dogs and a small child in the same space.

I am sorry, but that statement is ill informed and very untrue! :mad

Could you back this statement up with some facts please! I myself have had pig dogs most of my nearly 50 years and have alot of acquaintances and family members that have had pig dogs grow up with their children, and amazingly not one of us have had any experiences where these dogs have mistook a child for a pig???

As with any dog it comes down to RESPONSIBLE OWNERS. That is where the buck stops.

Oh and my opinion on this heartbreaking story. I would have the dogs put down, regardless of breed, blame or circumstances! There is NEVER an excuse for a dog to viciously attack anyone!

When will the basic messages get thro' to people? First, children in that little girl's age group are the most vulnerable for dog bites/attacks.

Second, dogs like pig dogs are trained and used to killing.....and don't know the difference between a small child and an animal.

At least the property owners tried to shield the child and may have saved her life. But they desperately need a commonsense transplant after having a pack of pig-killing dogs and a small child in the same space.

Nonsense and a massive generalisation. How many pig dogs do you know mita? Do you know how they work the pigs? From your statement I'd say not. I'm with you Bindi.

According to Perth Now, three of the dogs have been PTS

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/owner-agrees-to-have-maya-wicksteed-attack-dogs-put-down/story-e6frg13u-1226387258971

THREE dogs that mauled a six-year-old girl in Baldivis have been put down, but no charges have yet been laid over the horrific attack. Maya Wicksteed was savaged by the three bull Arab mastiff dogs and three other dogs, including a german shepherd and a red cloud kelpie, at a Baldivis property last Friday.

She was taken to hospital where she received hundreds of stitches to bite injuries to her head, face and body.

Rockingham Mayor Barry Sammels said the three dogs were euthanised at the owner's request.

Mr Sammels said an investigation into the attack was continuining and no one had been prosecuted.

Maya's father Bruce Wicksteed told of his horror when he realised his daughter had been attacked, describing her as “a screaming ball of sand and blood”.

Mr Wicksteed was visiting a neighbour with Maya when he heard his daughter screaming.

“The owner of the property was laying down on the ground. Six dogs were aggressively just going for it, trying to get underneath him and then I realised I could hear her screaming, I realised Maya was underneath them,” Mr Wicksteed said.

“Maya was a screaming ball of sand and blood. Police later told me she had been dragged over a 40-metre area.”

In an act that Mr Wicksteed said saved his daughter’s life, his neighbour jumped on top of the dogs and held them down to free Maya. Then, Mr Wicksteed grabbed her and ran towards the property’s house as the dogs chased them.

"As we got closer to the door, I was just praying that it was unlocked,” he said.

“I got there, the door was unlocked, just as the dogs arrived behind me.

“I slammed the door on them as they were jumping up.”

Mr Wicksteed said he wanted dog laws changed to include bull Arab mastiffs as a classified dangerous dog.

“They are a killing machine. If a dog can't differentiate between a pig and a little girl, there's an issue,” he said. The vicious attack has prompted the WA Local Government Association to urge local councils to develop dog control strategies to prevent future attacks.

WALGA president Troy Pickard said most dog control laws had not been changed for more than 35 years and were did not meet community expectations.

"I welcome the announcement by the Minister that he intends to introduce a Dog Amendment Bill to the coming session of Parliament," he said.

"It is encouraging that his proposed amendments will consider prohibiting the availability, breeding and sale of dangerous breeds and sterilisation of dangerous breeds along with increased penalties for irresponsible owners and powers for local rangers.

"Revisions to the Dog Act to deal more effectively with vicious dogs have been on the agenda of State Governments for years and it is time to do something about it, before another innocent person or family pet is seriously mauled or killed."

Guest Willow

Putting aside everything else, what an incredibly brave thing to do, for the owner to throw himself over the little girl, knowing he was likely to be injured also.

Guest Willow

Why were only three out of six dogs taken to the pound all dogs should have been put down.

There will be an ongoing investigation...there might be details we are unaware of. I agree with you, if all 6 dogs were involved in the attack, then all six really need to be PTS, but there must be a reason we don't know about...maybe the owners only surrendered three willingly, and are fighting for the others, and there might be red tape involved, or not enough proof of the others involvement...who knows?

what a horrible thing to happen to that little girl.

I bet now some people will call for a Bull Arab amnesty, can you imagine that?? Lets see them draw up the 'breed characteristics' and identification booklet for the animal control people :o

I wouldnt be putting too much faith in the "animal control people" know a friend just brough home a rescue dog. was told its a German Shorthaired pointer?

It does have floppy ears, it is basically white with spots, but, ive never seen a gold GSP with sable tips to the coat. the ears are half the size they should be and it sure lacks the head shape? Part cattle part goodness knows what I'd be thinking.

Suspect it hasnt even any GSP in it.

So much for getting even close to a breed description let alone breed. with this one. bought it as a family pet and train but will it have any of the GSP traits they were expecting. Only time will tell

Indeed. I have a workmate who has a young dog they got as a puppy. She proudly showed me a photo and it resembles a GSD but with a fluffier coat. I asked her it's breeding and she told me "It is a German Short tailed Pointer crossed with a Husky, only it's got the longtail from the Husky side". "Really?".

In the case of PTS all the dogs that were there, we don't know enough of the events to make any kind of call. Hypothetically the three dogs not impounded could be the dogs of the resident, who jumped on board when the three visitors attacked the little girl, aiming their response at the three aggressors?? Hypothetically. Truth is we don't know and therefore are not in a poisiton to call for anything.

I think most people would do the same..

I think it is in our nature (most dog lovers, I realise there would be those that wouldn't.). To protect those that need protecting.. Be it kid, adult or dog...

You would hope so, but it is still incredibly brave to put yourself in the direct path of 6 dogs trying to kill something.

It has been said in the ABC news story that three dogs were put down at the owners request, not sure about the other three.

Oh that poor girl, the mental and physical injuries are going to be with her for a very long time. :(

mita, on 04 June 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

I am sorry, but that statement is ill informed and very untrue!

Could you back this statement up with some facts please! I myself have had pig dogs most of my nearly 50 years and have alot of acquaintances and family members that have had pig dogs grow up with their children, and amazingly not one of us have had any experiences where these dogs have mistook a child for a pig???

As with any dog it comes down to RESPONSIBLE OWNERS. That is where the buck stops.

Oh and my opinion on this heartbreaking story. I would have the dogs put down, regardless of breed, blame or circumstances! There is NEVER an excuse for a dog to viciously attack anyone!

I completly agree with everything above.

There appears to be more to this tragic event that suggests the little girl opened a gate where the dogs were enclosed apparantly with a sign attached "beware of the dogs enter at own risk" and the dogs got out into the area of the property where the girl and her father were?

Is it true if you post one of these signs up telling others that your dog will bite.

is opening yourself to be sued as you are knowingly keeping a viscous dog.

And you are advertising it with the sign.

It could be more of one of these snival libratarians acts though.

But I did hear that you can get in trouble with one of those signs up.

Guest Willow

Is it true if you post one of these signs up telling others that your dog will bite.

is opening yourself to be sued as you are knowingly keeping a viscous dog.

And you are advertising it with the sign.

It could be more of one of these snival libratarians acts though.

But I did hear that you can get in trouble with one of those signs up.

I have heard the same thing...apparently you can have a "please close the gate" sign, but anything else is like admitting you have a biter.

I have heard that it is a fallacy. You can argue that you have gone down to Bunnings and bought the sign to make people aware that you have a dog on the premises, not that the dog is dangerous. There are separate signs for dangerous dogs. These signs are mass made, we (as a community) have been putting them on our gates for quite some years now.