Red Collar Rescue Being Refused Access To Dogs In The Pound

I've just been contacted by channel 7 to be informed that at 10am this morning, at the council meeting they will be voting to stop giving dogs to Red Collar Rescue. This means that all the dogs in the pound will DIE as they don't give dogs to any other groups, and the RSPCA is always full! They have not even had the decency to contact us except for one phone call a week ago when I was told it was a done deal. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS. CAN ANYONE GO TO THE MEETING?

they need to be held up for this...

Facebook Link you will need to be logged in

I have a friend up near Bundaberg who got her staffy girl through this rescue (I don't know much about them)..

Can a council refuse to sell to anyone?

You would think they would be glad for rescue taking on the unwanted dogs so they didn't have to put them down.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anything about this situation but I do know from recent honours surveys that councils can refuse the release of any animal to rescue or adoption.

One thing I noted when asking if councils worked with rescues was that they were worried as rescues aren't legislated or controlled. Council is responsible for dangerous and nuisance animals. Some councils have also had very bad experiences with rescues so have implemented similar bans.

Thanks people, I knew someone on here would know...

I understand that council has to deal with nuisance or dangerous dog issues and that some rescues are not really as above board as most - still sad to think that politics may see some dogs worthy of new homes, never make it out...

I hope they can make the council see sense - from all accounts (from my cousins wife) they are a decent rescue. But like I said, I don't really know them.

They make it sound like RCR were not doing a satisfactory job.

At its meeting of 22 February 2011, Council resolved to enter into an agreement with

Red Collar Rescue Inc to re-home dogs from Council’s pound that are not

considered suitable for re-homing by the RSPCA or Council, or utilised by vets. It

was further resolved that this agreement be reviewed after a period of 12 months.

An informal agreement was reached with Red Collar Rescue and they have

rehoused a significant number of dogs in the last twelve months. Unfortunately,

there have been concerns raised by members of the public about the suitability of

some of the dogs that have been re-homed, the conditions in which they are being

kept and the ability of the operator to house sixty dogs in accordance with her

original approval.

The RSPCA have investigated these complaints and have recommended to North

Burnett Regional Council that the number of dogs being kept is not suitable and not

in keeping with the facilities provided on the site.

As a result of this investigation, North Burnett Regional Council has advised that it

has now reduced the approved number of dogs that can be kept by Red Collar

Rescue to a maximum of 20, and the operator has been allowed time to reduce her

dog numbers.

At its meeting of 22 February 2011, Council resolved to enter into an agreement with

considered suitable for re-homing by the RSPCA or Council, or utilised by vets. It

was further resolved that this agreement be reviewed after a period of 12 months.

A bit OT, but what does the bolded bit mean?

I don't know much about rescue but isn't 60 dogs too many to be in one place? How would they get enough attention/care? Maybe if they have dozens of people working...

Guest lavendergirl

I wondered that too!

All dogs deemed as unsuitable for re-homing by the RSPCA be either donated to local vets

as blood donors or euthanased.

Guest lavendergirl

All dogs deemed as unsuitable for re-homing by the RSPCA be either donated to local vets

What - they just use them for blood and then euth when done with them :eek: Is that correct??

What - they just use them for blood and then euth when done with them :eek: Is that correct??

They have been doing this for years with greyhounds. The blood is used for dogs in need of donations. I rescued a greyhound a few years ago that had been given to a vet for that purpose.

They have been doing this for years with greyhounds. The blood is used for dogs in need of donations. I rescued a greyhound a few years ago that had been given to a vet for that purpose.

wow. does the dog get any stimulation, social interaction, walks, etc?

Guest lavendergirl

simone - i'm not sure if you are referring to greys left with vets to donate blood but basically they die, having "donated" all their blood at the same time.

I know this is probably a necessary evil - but it makes me sick all the same, poor dogs. :cry: :cry: