Seperation Anxiety

angelnkids

hello everyone we have a german shepherd, 15 months old, we have had her about 3 months now.

Recently when we are going out, she senses it and wont go outside, she either runs away from me, or rolls over. The only way i can get her out of the door is if i pull her my her collar (which i hate doing, cos it feels like im choking her) or to put her on her lead and take her outside. Its stressful for her and for me.

Is there a way we can get over this, cos its really stressing us both out?

At the moment most of the time there is someone home with her, but next month i will be going to college 3 days a week, and im a bit worried about leaving her home alone all day, if she still suffering with seperation anxiety

thanks

tracy

she either runs away from me, or rolls over. The only way i can get her out of the door is if i pull her my her collar (which i hate doing, cos it feels like im choking her) or to put her on her lead and take her outside. Its stressful for her and for me.

Your dog is a bit scared, and is submitting ... then you drag her outside, and so she KNOWS that when you get ready to leave, something awful and scary will happen ...it's a vicious cycle :(

How often do you leave her outside when you are home?

Outside needs to be a fantastic place for her- starting today... :) her bones, favourite food and BEST toys/games all need to happen outside .. even feeding her ..so she gets called out HAPPILY .. ..... and gets rewarded by food/play etc.

Do this a few times a day without leaving the house, and you should see her become much happier to go out that door.

I would recommend you attend a dog training class, and/ or get a trainer to come to your home ..NOT one of the popular 'fixit' franchises, but someone WA folks can personally recommend .

This way, you will learn to better understand what your dog is telling you, and how SHE sees her world :) This makes communication between you MUCH easier, and leads to fewer misunderstandings , while increasing trust :)

oh..and this doesn't sound like separation anxiety to me ...separation anxiety is more when a dog is left alone, and it wrecks teh surrounding area/cries/stresses/barks/ gets so anxious that it poos everywhere, etc.

Edited by persephone

thankd for the advice,

no we dont leave her outside at all when im home with her, shes outside only when we go out.

we have been recommended a dog trainer by our vet, and will be starting next weekend with the dog trainer.

thanks

:)

Persephone, you said everything I wanted to suggest but way better :thumbsup:

angelnkids - I am in WA and might be able to recommend a trainer for you - are you North or South of the river?

im south of the river in baldivis.

angelnkids - I am in WA and might be able to recommend a trainer for you - are you North or South of the river?

Will send a PM with some contact details :)

Guest lavendergirl

As Perse says - good things need to happen outside. Go outside with her with a frozen Kong and other favourite chew toys and stay out with her until she is engrossed with it - just be casual do some gardening or something. Go back inside for a minute or however long she will tolerate and come back out - very gradually increase the time you are inside. Do this each day until she is comfortable being by herself outside. If you have a few weeks before you commence college you should be able to achieve some improvement in that time along with the training.

You also need to remember her world is about to change once again,she has be rehomed,now lives with you & now suddenly her inside life mean outside on a few occasions

I would say one very confused dog who when getting put outside is being dragged out like she has done something wrong & i dare say your body language when this happens is one of a frustrated person .

Hopefully your vet has recommended a good trainer because many don't they often don'thavea clue.

She needs to spend more time at home outside without it being soley related to leaving,does she have a doggy door or access outside when home or is she reliant on you letting her out ??

It is up to you not to make her needy but you need to look at it from the dog side it is piggy in the middle & has no clue what is expected

Also remember she had the visitors in this time frame that she also didn't deal with,she has had alot of new things happening so she needs direction

Edited by showdog

my vet gave me tablets called neurocalm worked really well for one of my dogs who had seperation anxiety

it's herbal and doesn't make them doopy/sleepy just takes the edge off the anxiety I guess you would say

Edited by Frodo's mum

worked really well for one of my dogs who had seperation anxiety

To me ... it seems more of a lack of communication , and the dog being confused ...

no it's nothing like that at all...he stressed when being crated....it just took his stress level's down

he was his playful of full of beans self when let out..he was certainly not confused at all

it just made him relax, he was happy to chew his antler or play with his toys in there ....it's not like using valium where the dog is doped up

Edited by Frodo's mum

worked really well for one of my dogs who had seperation anxiety

To me ... it seems more of a lack of communication , and the dog being confused ...

no it's nothing like that at all...he stressed when being crated....it just took his stress level's down

he was his playful of full of beans self when let out..he was certainly not confused at all

it just made him relax, he was happy to chew his antler or play with his toys in there ....it's not like using valium where the dog is doped up

Oh..sorry, I was referring to angel&kids' dog ..not your guys , frodo's mum . :o

Good luck with your trainer :)

If for any reason you don't gel with the trainer, in that area I would recommend either Dog Charming, or - although I haven't been to her but heard good things - Kerry's Pawsitive Dog Training

:)

Edited by Weasels

Guest lavendergirl

I think the dog is confused as well if he is just put outside when the owners go out - he may think he is being punished. Better to make time outside part of an enjoyable routine when everyone is home as well.

thanks weasels, kerrys pawsitive training is the one recommended to us by the vet.

we are new to having a dog, so we just need some direction in where to go with making her feel comfortable and safe. She was fine being outside while we was out up until the weather changed, and it got colder and raining.

We tried leaving her indoors, but on one of the days she chewed my couch, i could crate her, but i feel cruel leaving her in there where she cant run around, so being outside is the only other option while we are out.

we have a dog door, so she can come in and out as she pleases, but its attatched to the fly screen door, not tha main door, so she cant access it when we are out.

I wrote my last post at work, then tonight on the drive home I was behind a car branded "Kerry's Pawsitive Dog Training" on the freeway! :eek: Perth is such a small place :laugh:

I think getting a trainer out will be a huge help to you. Anxiety, fear, over-arousal, frustration and attention-seeking can all look quite similar, so having a professional to have a look and let you know their opinion should make it all seem manageable and make sure you're on the right track :thumbsup:

When I adopted my girl I was recommended a trainer who did post-adoptive settling-in sessions for shelter dogs, and the information I got has been really helpful many times since :) If you can get a video of the behaviour that might help you get the best out of your session maybe?

What others have said, about setting up a place outside where she learns to be happy even when you're home. Make it a spot where all the best things happen for her.....like a day dog bed. Give her meals, treats and cuddles there. So it becomes a good place to be.

Find toys she likes & put them there, too. Rub the palms of your hands all over the toys so you transfer your scent on to them. Also put an old unwashed T shirt there. The owner's scent comforts a dog.....it's a bit like the owner being there.

Practise getting her used to spending time out on this dog bed.....even while you're at home.

When you go out....a new treat or bone added to her day bed should encourage her that another 'good' thing's happening there.

Then, when she's in this spot, totally ignore her for 10 minutes before you go. No eye contact, no talking with her. When you come home, do the same, totally ignore her for 10 minutes before you pat her. This takes all the emotional drama out of coming and going.

Also follow up on the training. Getting your girl to always 'Sit' for all the things she likes....the toys, treats, meals, lead on for a walk etc will help her learn who's in charge. And get her specially to obey 'Sit' on her day mat as she gets the nice things there.

We had a sheltie girl with separation anxiety (she'd rip the soft furnishings to pieces when we were out). The above advice was given us by a dog behaviorist at UQ vet clinic. We were told to follow it precisely and consistently. It worked! No more ripping of furniture.

Edited by mita