Warning Dogs Being Stolen

smooch

I was talking to a council ranger yesterday who informed me that there is someone in a one tonner towing a trailer with dog crates. Apparently the vehicle, has been seen in the Muswellbrook, Singleton and Lower Hunter area, no one as yet have been able to get a no plate. The sightings have coincided with dog thefts in those areas. Dogs have gone missing from back yards.

I did see something about this on a facebook page as well.

So everyone please keep your dogs very secure when you are not home. If anyone sees this vehicle please get their Rego No.

Guest Willow

That vehicle sounds like it would stick out like a sore thumb, surely they will be caught sooner or later?

That vehicle sounds like it would stick out like a sore thumb, surely they will be caught sooner or later?

Unfortunately people probably just thing they are a transport or just their own dogs. Its only after the dogs have been stolen is people say they saw that vehicle. :shrug: :shrug:

I was talking to a council ranger yesterday who informed me that there is someone in a one tonner towing a trailer with dog crates. Apparently the vehicle, has been seen in the Muswellbrook, Singleton and Lower Hunter area, no one as yet have been able to get a no plate. The sightings have coincided with dog thefts in those areas. Dogs have gone missing from back yards.

So everyone please keep your dogs very secure when you are not home. If anyone sees this vehicle please get their Rego No.

Is the FB page an open group one with a handy link?

Is the FB page an open group one with a handy link?

I can't find the FB page now, I get lost in the new timeline. I really only thought more about it when the council ranger mentioned it so we were aware.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/news/general/owners-fear-dogs-taken-for-illegal-fights/2596206.aspx

QUOTE)Owners fear dogs taken for illegal fights

BY DONNA SHARPE

20 Jun, 2012 04:00 AM

Fears of illegal dog fighting rings in the Coalfields are growing with reports of two more dogs being stolen from Maitland's western suburbs.

The latest thefts come a week after a bulldog was stolen from a Rutherford backyard.

To read The Herald's opinion, click here.

Amy Shapland said two dogs belonging to her and partner Kane Down, were stolen from their Telarah property a week apart and said she has heard numerous stories about other dogs going missing from secured yards in her neighbourhood.

Coco, her female American Staffordshire bull terrier, was taken on Saturday, June 9, the day after the bulldog named Tank was stolen. Dungey, her male English staffy, was taken last Friday.

"There have been numerous dogs go missing from around this area and there has been some speculation about what has been going on," Miss Shapland said.

"People have seen a tonner truck with a 16-cage trailer going around the area picking up dogs. It has been spotted twice but no one has been able to get a number plate."

While the RSPCA's Hunter shelter at Rutherford has only received one call from a man who reported his dog as stolen, Maitland Police duty officer Glenn Blain said he only knew what he had read in the Newcastle Herald.

"We ask people to report all thefts including dogs," he said.

The owner of Tank, Amy Cole said she had contacted police but was directed to the Police Assistance Line to lodge a report.

Ms Shapland said she is offering a reward for her dogs but did not wish to disclose a figure. Tank's reward has been raised to $6000.

"We just want our dogs back, they are like our babies and there will be no questions asked if they are returned," Ms Shapland said.

"Our biggest fear is that all these dogs are being stolen for illegal dog fighting."

Miss Cole said her search for Tank is ongoing and she had heard of about 10 thefts of dogs across Maitland since the Herald published Tank's story.

"Just before Tank was stolen I understand that three bulldogs went missing from a home in Telarah," she said.

"One was found wandering the streets and taken to the pound, two others were found in a bad way near Walka Water Works with cuts and patches ripped out of their skin.

"Something is going on and we have to get to the bottom of it." QUOTE)

Jesus !!!! This is really scary :eek: Poor people losing their beloved pets :( I hope they find out whats going on ASAP & catch these B#$tard's. It is so strange that one of the dogs

was found wandering the streets etc cuts on the other one, just appalling stuff. Maybe they had been fought & came off second best, what, then they just let them go. Just terrible :(

Hope these poor people get their dogs back OK.

A one tonner with a sixteen berth dog trailer travelling along the highway - sounds like John Marsden who has a business transporting dogs.

Not a dog trailer, a trailer with dog crates in it. This vehicle has been spotted on the day dogs have gone missing.

I shared the fb link with the warning on it. Then I looked at the missing Bulldog Tanks fb page and I cannot believe that there have been people post rude, heartless comments on there!!! What is the world coming to?? :mad

I hope they find the people responsible for the dogs going missing and that at least some of the dogs find their way back to their owners

Scarily similar story in our local paper today frown.gif

(I don't have a link available so will re-type):

A local activist is warning Riverland pet owners to take extra precautions after she claims several animals have been stolen from homes to be used to breed.

Loxton's Martina Roberts, who has been involved with the Moorook Animal shelter for the past 13 years, said she has been told a vehicle was going around the Riverland stealing animals.

"A lot of pedigree dogs have been stolen for breeding", she said.

"They want to get them breeding because then they are going to sell them.

"A lot of dogs too are being pinched for fighting.

"Someone was telling me about this truck going around and pinching dogs and everybody is pretty quiet about it and nobody is game enough to speak up."

Mrs Roberts said she has heard several reports of dogs going missing in the Riverland in the past month.

"We are also a bit worried about the fur trade", she said.

"A lot of dogs and cats are actually skinned alive for their fur.

"I've had a few people who have just come up and told me about dogs that have gone missing."

Pet owners need to make sure their animals are secured in their property before going to work and they need to be micro-chipped and desexed for extra protection, according to Mrs Roberts.

"They go off to work and don't have their gate padlocked and the next thing you know the dog's gone and that is a fact", she said.

Hmmm, sounds scarily similar, doesn't it ?? Oh dear, I don't understand the mentality of some. Skinning an animal ALIVE :( Begger's belief really. My 2 are under lock & key when they are in

the backyard whether I am home or not. But if the likes of those want something bad enough, who's to say they won't break the lock. Least it acts as a deterrent I guess. What else can we do.

Edited by BC Crazy

Sorry Smooch, I saw the original post on the tank face book page. It specifically referred to a sixteen berth dog float. I honestly doubt dogs are being skun alive or even stolen in vast numbers. Most are just escapees and it's easier to blame a dog thief than your own incompetence as a pet owner.

Sorry Smooch, I saw the original post on the tank face book page. It specifically referred to a sixteen berth dog float. I honestly doubt dogs are being skun alive or even stolen in vast numbers. Most are just escapees and it's easier to blame a dog thief than your own incompetence as a pet owner.

I'm not entirely convinced that there is a 'fur trade' in the Riverland either...