Microchipping Laws

WExtremeG

Seen so many ads where they state 'micro chipping at buyers expense'.

Thought they had to be microchipped before they changed hands or when they turned 8 weeks old (which ever occurred first). Seems as though this is working as a loophole, and buyers are none the wiser with this agreement... Can you report such ads to the council?

Yes any animal sold or given away must be chipped.

Many QLd BYBs think they are avoiding the legislation by selling pups before the age of 8 weeks and unchipped. If you get bored and like a bun fight point out the Legislation on any one of the hundreds of pimp and peddle pet pages on facebook. :rofl:

Yeah- that's where I've seen them... I'd rather report them and not have to deal with the trail of abuse that'll likely follow...would the council act on these or is it another piece of useless legislation?

It is still legislation to microchip them before they are sold. All puppies before 12 weeks of age must be microchipped. And any older dog sold or rehomed also needs to be microchipped before sale/rehome.

Most breeders I am sure include the cost included in the purchase price of the animal (as also with registration and vaccinations etc). Some may price it separately. Those who do not microchip are breaking the law here in Qld.

The problem with some of the free websites, as long as you mention "microchip" the listing process lets it through.

Try suggesting they are breaking the law on the FB pages and all that is achieved is your post gets deleted and you get banned if you do it often enough. Huge numbesr of the animals are not even wormed or vaccinated so they certainly won't microchip them.

Until the law is actually enforced by councils the bybs will continue on their merry way.

Try suggesting they are breaking the law on the FB pages and all that is achieved is your post gets deleted and you get banned if you do it often enough. Huge numbesr of the animals are not even wormed or vaccinated so they certainly won't microchip them.

Until the law is actually enforced by councils the bybs will continue on their merry way.

But in Victoria they can't advertise unless quoting the microchip number at least.

problem with ads on facebook is most people work off PM for address details and often use made up names etc. I tried contacting council about a woman who has 3 staffies. a male, a female and an 12 week old female pup that she'd just got. she started out posting wanting advice as to if the older female staffy would bite her child cause they had left all three dogs at home alone over a whole weekend only to return on the monday to find the older female had killed the younger female pup. the older female had attacked the younger pup a few times before. yet she'd left all three alone for several days. out come was she no longer needed advice cause she was just going to breed a litter out of her cause she could get a good price for pups (her words) and then sell her. i was nice but pointed out that the dog fell into a regulated class and by law she shouldn't be breeding her, she should be desexed and she needed seek infomation as to selling her. so i was blocked! my daughter has seen her trying to buy new female staffy pups yet she still has the older female. although i have her name i only now she lives west of brisbane so i can't supply an adress so nothing as of yet can be done.

as for the micro chipping council should be contacted. the law stated the seller is responcible for the chipping unless a signed vet cert stating the chip would harm the health of the dog. some facebook groups will not let ppl advertise if the dogs are not chipped others wont let you advertise if they are not chipped, vacc or desexed (if of age)

I have worked in council for awhile now in regulatory services.

It can be quite hard to regulate. It comes down to resources. Unfortunately many councils do not have the resources to chase back yard breeders, and enforcing the multitude of existing laws as well as those being proposed by welfare groups. Fining people for dog related offences do not do councillors any favours. (Fining people full stop does not get credits on a political front).

Officers are just as frustrated as genuine and honest dog people. Many officers are also dog owners/lovers.

Depends on which council you are with will depend on what measures are in place in local laws. It is state legislation that all puppies must be microchipped before sale/rehome. For example in my local council area, you need to have a breeders permit to breed. To get a breeders permit you need to be a member of CCCQ, and hold a breeders permit. Your dogs need to be registered with local council. Many of these breeders are ineligible for the permit to begin with, and many also do not have their dogs registered with their local council as they will not (obviously) will be eligible for any desexed or discounted rates. They already fly beneath the regulatory radar.

It is also hard enough to work out who has too many dogs as per their allowed limit, let alone enforcing microchipping and vaccinations. Unless someone complains - even then it is very hard to enforce microchipping. Then officers need to conduct inspections, and if they do not see (or hear) evidence of any dogs let alone more than one, it can be quite hard to progress any complaints further.

I have as a private individual emailed the odd person advertising on gumtree and FB. Unfortunately some have been registered breeders (and puppy farmers). Some know how to really work the system :(